RI - Providence ... anyone live there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Coming in tomorrow night for a couple of days and wonder if there is a terrific place I need to know about to eat.
Also, not dressed properly so hope a light weight leather jacket and jeans and sweater will do.

Any suggestions on food fabulous places?

Hi Lefselover. I can not vouch for any of these personally, but at least it will give you a list to work off of. This list is from the Phantom Gourmet who is a food critic with a TV show. No one knows the Phantoms identity. I do not always agree with his taste, but I do more often than not.

If you have a way of packing something warmer you will want to do so. We are getting snow tonight and tomorrow will probably be in the low 30's or high 20's.

thanks GB. I watch as well as Tivo The Phantom Gourmet. Alan Adalmen or is it Dave? Anyway, I thought usually he does Boston or Mass locals.

I can't pack better as I'm gone for 7 days in a row and not going home in between. It will be fine, I may not leave my hotel room.

Thanks for responding:)

Yeah he usually does MA restaurants, but also does New England in general. He has done quite a few in Maine and some in NH as well.

I will be sending you warm thoughts!!!

Providence actually has lots of excellent restaurants. Over the past 10-15 years it has developed into a very sophisticated and thriving place.

When in Providence, think Italian.

Though I haven't been there in a few years, Al Forno was once considered one of the best restaurants in New England. It's on the list, I see. I am sure that there are lost of others that are newer and better, and I am sure I have been to at least one ... but can't rememebr names.

I was actually going to mention Al Forno. I have never been, but I have always heard great things about it.

Drat!

Had I joined sooner I could've taken you around!!
Well, let me let you know about a very well kept Rhode Island secret... Yes, there is some pretty good Italian, and I would recommend almost any of the places listed on the Phantom site... but there is a jewel of a spot called Apsara that not many know of.

Now, don't be fooled, there's a copycat place called Apsara Palace on the East Side, no! I'm talking about plain old Apsara in South Providence. It's understated, hardly decorated, modestly priced, and home of some of the best pan-Asian cooking I've ever had. I've lived in Seattle and the Bay area... Apsara blows the bulk of both cities away. Oh, and it's BYOB.

Next time you're around New England let me know, I'll show you toward the best joints. You like lobster?

When in Providence, go for Weiners! I havent had one since I was a kid, but man they used to have those hot dog buns up their arms, line them with weiners, and then the meat sauce topping whatever it was, but it was so good! Along that same area was the best fish and chips place, yes in newspaper!

Back
Top Bottom