Road Trip!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really enjoying your travelogue, Larry. Thanks for taking the time to include us all in your trip.

I read somewhere that the Falling Waters house was having structural issues. Did you hear anything about that?

I'm really enjoying your travelogue, Larry. Thanks for taking the time to include us all in your trip.

I read somewhere that the Falling Waters house was having structural issues. Did you hear anything about that?

They didnt mention anything about it on the tour. From a tourist point of view, everything looked pretty intact to me. half the house/ patio-balconies cantilever over the flowing water, the other half is practically embedded in the rock. All the floors and stairs are from locally quarried rocks, other than rock the walls are concrete and a significant amount of wood shelving and framing the windows.

One of my favorite feature was the staircase that goes down from the living room to about 1 foot above the flowing river. You could sit on that last step and dangle your legs into the river ( they could anyway, not open to guests).

So, today off to an early start ( as usual). We did have time to have a quick sit down breakfast at the hotel. Berries and potatoes for me, fruit and berries for the Mrs. and I lifted a banana, frosted flakes and a few of those small jam packets for the ride. Ultimately ending up in Lexington KY, We made a pitstop in Cincinnati to visit the American Sign Museum. This was truly a gem. A large collection of carious american signs ( neon, electric...) from the past 100 + years. Nostalgic and educational. Also descriptive on how the various types of signs were made. After that, we entered Kentucky ( for the first time in my life) and went to the Ark Experience. Basically, its a full sized version of Noah's Ark ( based on dimensions mentioned in the Bible). Just the sight of this thing and its enormous size was truly amazing. Its based on their interpretation of what the ark actually looked like ( inside and out). Strong on biblical content on the inside. being truly honest, I was more interested in the size of this thing than anything else. For those who are truly interested on the biblical story, then you can add an extra star. No formal lunch today, just some peanut butter, kettle corn ( im sure stretching that kettle corn a long way and bottled water. Finally, we made it to Lexington, where we did a scenic drive along the roads that have the horse farms on them. Tree lined narrow roads, with fenced and gated farms. Really beautiful, on a nice sunny fall day. Locals drive kinda fast ( and right up on my A$$) so didnt get to enjoy it or photograph it as much as I would have liked. May hit it again tomorrow on our way to Louisville, but we'll see. Dinner, nothing fancy. Did Olive garden, some pasta, soup, salad and bread sticks. After a 12 hour day on the go, just needed something quick, simple and predictable. Tonights snack will be the left over food we got at yesterdays restaurant. Just as a size reference , in one of the ark pics you can see my wife on the lower right of the pic.

Attachments

• Break 2 .jpg
    Break 2 .jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Break1.jpg
    Break1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 94
  • ark1.jpg
    ark1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 81
  • ark2.jpg
    ark2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 113
More pics ( American Sign Museum)

Loved this place, definitely the best thing of the day. The rock city sign was literally on the side of a barn. They said that the sign makers would go around town and tell the owners that if they let them paint a sign on their barn, they would pain the rest of the barn and keep it up for as long as they left the painted sing up.

Horse farm pics on the other cam. Not sure how great they came out considering time of day, sun in our face, taken from the car and with a local all up on our butt. Ill try and post some either later or tomorrow if they came out ok

Attachments

• sign6.jpg
    sign6.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 101
  • sign4.jpg
    sign4.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 80
  • sign3.jpg
    sign3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 105
  • sign2.jpg
    sign2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 107
  • sign1.jpg
    sign1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 107
  • sign5.jpg
    sign5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 90
Horse Farm Pics

Quality is poor
But just try and imagine driving down a narrow, tree-lined winding road. With acres and acres of fenced off horse farms on either side on a 60 degree autumn day. These pics dont do what we saw justice, but its all i got.

It went on for miles and miles. Id love to go for a bike ride early in the morning on these roads.

Attachments

• Horse 1.jpg
    Horse 1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Horse 3.jpg
    Horse 3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Horse 2 .jpg
    Horse 2 .jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 105
WOW!
I remember reading some time back about Noah's Ark-replica
being built somewhere... how neato Larry!!

The sheer size of this thing blew me away. And also the craftsmanship that went into making this giant. Not sure I would have went out of my way to see it, but it was right in our traveling path , so im very glad we did

Quality is poor
But just try and imagine driving down a narrow, tree-lined winding road. With acres and acres of fenced off horse farms on either side on a 60 degree autumn day. These pics dont do what we saw justice, but its all i got.

It went on for miles and miles. Id love to go for a bike ride early in the morning on these roads.

I dunno Larry ... those crazy drivers I'm sure would not be respectful of bike riders... :(
Beautiful all the same.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? I feel sick. I think I am going to thro oh, oh. Too late!

Thank God Im finally past that stage :LOL:
Now we go by ourselves, I drive, she crochets, does puzzles or sleeps. I get to listen to my music, and on long stretches, we sometimes listen to an audio book. No more ' are we there yets'

I'm REALLY enjoying your travel pics, Larry. Thank you so much for sharing! My day trips with the grandkids are fun, but they're pretty local. :)

I'm REALLY enjoying your travel pics, Larry. Thank you so much for sharing! My day trips with the grandkids are fun, but they're pretty local. :)

We used to keep it relatively local with the kids when they were younger, expanded to several hours. But now, being just the two of us, we are more adventurous. I actually enjoy the driving and I also like the challenge of finding some things or places that are a little off beat. Some things are timed, so we have to be on somewhat of a schedule, but I did leave time to just explore a bit and do some spontaneous/ last minute things. BUT , Im one of those schedule freaks. I like knowing when, where, how long .... I get some kind of bizarre thrill of keeping a schedule and being on time. But, I also realize that on trips like this, there are things out of my control and that you just cant plan for. Probably one of the biggest challenges Ill face through the work week is the local traffic situation in some of the more major cities Ill be in. I think I have it figured out, but we'll see :) . Last year I had to deal with forest fires on my way to and from Montana. Had to cancel some plans, and alter my route a bit. its all part of the challenge and a learning experience.

Ok, todays day went as follows:
Woke up and got a quick breakfast from the hotel.
Probably the worst hotel breakfast selection Ive ever had.
I just had some oatmeal ( I like it savory, so I put some nuts and a little salt and pepper)
My wife had a bagel with peanut butter , but after her first bite, nearly lost a tooth due to the firmness of the bagel. Seams like the bagel was there since the 70's, but its her own fault for trying to eat a bagel outside of NY.

Anyway, we hopped in the car heading from Lexington KY to Louisville KY, snacking on Cinnamon Chex Cereal on the way ( it was actually very good, first time we had it)
Hit a little rush hour traffic ( not being from this area, and traveling from one city to another city before rush hour, wasnt too bad.

In Louisville we did the obvious. Churchill Downs and Louisville Slugger museum. Both were very good.

We ate lunch at a nice Asian Restaurant just outside the city. I had Shitake/ Miso soup, spring rolls, vegetable fried rice and tempura shiitake mushrooms with mixed vegetables. My wife had some kind of noodle bowl topped with multiple ingredients ( spring rolls, chopped peanuts, carrots and a few other things. Kinda reminded me of a Korean Bibimbap but with rice noodles instead of rice.

Anyway, we tried to coordinate lunch to be eaten at 12pm Nashville time, because we wanted to attend a concert at night ) which sells out quickly), but tickets went on sale at exactly noon Nashville time, so i needed to have my computer open and be ready to go. We were still in Louisville time ( an hour later). The place we ate at was more of a cafe than a formal restaurant , so I was able to bring the computer in and do it chair side without looking like a rude idiot ( it appeared there were students there on their computers doing work anyway). So, unfortunately I didnt get the tickets ,and in the process , i dumped 1/2 my miso soup all over me. It kinda serves me right for sing the computer at the table while trying to eat. next time ill remember my manners.

Anyway, without getting those tickets, we had to resort to plan B for our afternoon activity. ( I always have plan A,B and C when I go away. I also have things planned just incase the weather doesnt cooperate. Im a little crazy like that) Our plan B was visiting The American Printing for the Blind Factory. Here, they make and print books and other products for the blind. It was fascinating to see the whole process and all the clever new items they developed to help people with impaired vision. The tour took about 2 hours, and Im glad our plan B turned into our plan A. My wife works with deaf people along with other people with physical and mental disabilities (none blind though), but she truly enjoyed this since it was very applicable to the things she does professionally.

We then travelled south to Nashville ( about 2 1/2 hours). We were here a few years back, and liked it so much, that we decided to come back and spend a few days hear to get our Music Fill.

Our evening plans ( the concert) fell through, so we just hung out at the hotel and had dinner. The hotel is the Gaylord Opry Hotel and Convention Center. We stayed here before, it is crazy. There are multiple atriums along with rivers and other water features that run through it. They even have it decorated for Christmas already or are at least in the process.

***Pictures will have to wait. Download is being temperamental ***

I keep picturing Asian mom and pop restauranteurs in Kentucky saying, "Rook at deez klazy New Yawkuhs. Eat onry begetable.Smart cookies. Rive wrong time."

Got pics to work

Sitting at the track in Churchill Downs, Louisville Kentucky
Some of the funky hats worn at the Kentucky Derby

Parked the car on the top level of the parking garage. My wife asked, where is the museum. I replied " I think its over there" as we saw the top of a 100 foot baseball bat protruding into the skyline.

Braille Factory. You can see the rolls of paper which will ultimately be turned into Braille books

Made it to Nashville!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6850.jpg
    IMG_6850.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6880.jpg
    IMG_6880.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6902.jpg
    IMG_6902.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6955.jpg
    IMG_6955.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 84
The Food Shots

Breakfast was the Oatmeal with nuts. No photos, not worth the effort.

Lunch: Spring rolls, Veggie fried rice, Tempura Shitaki with mixed veggies, 1/2 bowl of Shitaki Miso Soup ( the other half was on my lap) My wife noodle bowl

Dinner: Avocado Tempura Taco, rice, Chips with Guac and salsa

Attachments

• IMG_6921.jpg
    IMG_6921.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6922.jpg
    IMG_6922.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6923.jpg
    IMG_6923.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6924.jpg