Road Trip!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gentle Barn, animal pics, Food, elton john

Visiting the animals was great.
Average food, but sure hit the spot.
Broadway Lit up!!
Elton

Attachments

• IMG_7259.jpg
    IMG_7259.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7283.jpg
    IMG_7283.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7304.jpg
    IMG_7304.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7305.jpg
    IMG_7305.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7329.jpg
    IMG_7329.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 84
  • Nashville Broadway.jpg
    Nashville Broadway.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 81
Nice, Nice, NICE, larry! BTW, when you said "I would love to relax, and as stupid as this sounds, I just dont know how." all I could think of was that Himself could teach you. He's got the art of being lazy relaxing down to a science.

...We want to see our own Country first!

In a car, not an Air Plane, or a tour bus with a million other souls...
We might be driving a Hyundai, but we feel the same way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhR8GZ_WWMM

all I could think of was that Himself could teach you. He's got the art of being lazy relaxing down to a science.

He should market that, Id be his first customer :LOL:

5:43am here, earliest we had to get up on this trip. My wife is being so good, but I think today is he day she finally kills me :LOL: She's a sleeper. So if I disappear after today, she probably had something to do with it. On the bright spot, thats one way Id be able to finally relax ( for a very very very long time ).

What, exactly, do vegans look like?

I thought that too. I think the non vegans look like they have plates of meat steaming and sizzling in front of themselves. Plates of steak and burgers and chicken with crispy skin and pork chops with crispy fat, hot off grill.

My DH was accidentally a vegetarian yesterday. He doesn't really look any different now.

larry, I'm enjoying your narratives and picture. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Road trip here tomorrow. Annual trip to the kaikoura races. About 2 1/2 hrs north of us. Small whale watch town. Great racing on Sunday and Monday. Monday's kaikoura cup so a big day. Racing is horses with silkiest behind. My background is racing. 4 in our car and 3 other couples All go together.

Russ

Road trip here tomorrow. Annual trip to the kaikoura races. About 2 1/2 hrs north of us. Small whale watch town. Great racing on Sunday and Monday. Monday's kaikoura cup so a big day. Racing is horses with silkiest behind. My background is racing. 4 in our car and 3 other couples All go together.

Russ
They care how soft and silky the horse's bum is? :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Are you referring to harness racing? Should it say "sulky"?

Today we travelled south to Muscle Shoals Alabama. Kind of a crappy day, but most of our activities will be indoors so no big deal ( and not bad enough to cause dangerous travel).
Left early, as we had a 2 1/2 hour ( at least) drive ahead of us, and a 9am tour to be on. We had a 10:30 am tour at another location so we had to stay on time ( each tour taking about an hour, locations only about 5 - 10 minutes away from each other.

Left in the dark, by the time we got to Alabama ( no Banjo this time), literally 100 feet after we passed the Welcome to Alabama sign, there was a Huge Cotton farm to the left of us. Very cool to see a sea of white go on for acres and acres. They must be harvesting it now, because next to some empty fields ( that recently were harvested ) you can see a lot of loose cotton ( that must have made a break for it) kinda scattered along the sides of the roads, bushes, grass... Being from NY, and not seeing it every day, it was a cool site to see.

We got to our location with time to spare, so we loaded up on gas to buy a little time, then parked the car. When we pulled up, there was a tour bus that had just gotten there and was releasing its passengers. The passengers was a senior tour group of about 40 + people.

We were visiting FAME Recording Studio. Its a famous recording studio which recorded some of the greats (Aretha Franklin, Little Richard, Wilson Pickett, Etta James, Otis Redding ) to name a few. It was a small dark studio, nothing compared to the more modern one I visited the other day, but you can feel the history in the place. Some of the original instruments were there, including a keyboard that Aretha Franklin played herself. Was it the greatest tour in the world ? No. Was the history really cool, and just being in the same room where many musical greats gathered decades ago to help create and shape the music I listen to ? Oh yeah!!

Only negative, and I dont mean to pick on the elderly, maybe its a stereotype to say elderly people dont know how to use electronic devices, but if thats the case, then every stereotyped elderly person was on this group tour with a cell phone they did not know how to use or shut off. Without exaggeration, a phone went off at least 10 times during the very short tour. The phones would ring and ring, as they were fumbling trying to turn the damn things off. 3 people actually answered their phones and carried on a conversation during the tour. The recording studio rooms were closed rooms maybe 18 X18 with 40-50 people crammed in ( along with pianos, drum sets ....) so you could hear everything. The first 2 or 3 rings I was annoyed. After that, it was almost comical watching all the people struggling to turn their phones off, It was totally out of control. The tour leader told everyone to shut their phones or turn them to silent 1/2 a dozen times, to no avail. I think that was more memorable than the tour :)

On to the next, we headed down the block to Muscle Shoals Recording studio. Brief history, the house band from FAME Studios ( called the swampers) , were faced with signing a restricting contract. They didnt want to be limited so they moved down the block, opened their own studio, became their own bosses and were direct competitors with the person who basically founded them ( Rick Hall). They were also successful and recorded many popular, well known artists and songs. First client was Cher. Other noticeable clients included The Rolling stones, Paul Simon, Bob Seger, Rod Stewart and many others. This tour was far better than the previous one. To the defense of the first one ( FAME), it is still a functioning recording studio, so the tour is kinda of an added historical bonus. The Muscle Shoals studio is basically a historic site/ museum, and is set up much better for a tour.

Lunch time, craving some fruits and vegetables, we stopped at a local walmart, picked up Bananas, apples, snap peas, guacamole/ Toast chips,, grape tomatoes, pickles, white bread ( for pbj), apple cider , and probably other things I am forgetting. So, we basically had a mix and match, throw together lunch.

***We also picked up a Subway Sandwich for dinner tonight, as we have been running around like crazy for a week, and wanted to kinda lay low, take it easy a bit, relax in the hotel for an hour or two before tonights activity***

On to the next stop, The house where Hellen Keller was born / and lived in her early life. Very cool to see that actual site where something I learned as a kid took place. Very interesting. I wouldn't make a trip based off of this, but if in the area, it was a nice place to see ( probably there about an hour or so).

We decided to drive back to Nashville and relax a bit before tonights show. We had about 2 hours to relax/ eat dinner. We then headed to the Grand Ole Opry for our second Opry show of the week. This one was based on the classics. They have multiple artists some on and sing 3 or 4 country songs ( of their own choice), but must be a classic song ( 25 years old or older) and not one of their own. Its their way of paying respect to the artists who have kinda shaped the way, and keep their songs pertinent. After this, we did a post show behind the scenes tour. Different from the pre show tour we did the other day, but with about 50% Overlap. Still alot of fun to see the behind the scenes and hear some stories.

Back to the hotel, just snacked on some pickles, checking tomorrows Itinerary to make last minute changes , make sure maps are in order, opening/ closing times are accurate , all addresses entered into the gps correctly....

Tomorrow will be the least driving day of the whole trip so far. We will never stray anymore than 20 minutes out of nashville. I think we have two 1/2 hour drives and one twenty minute drive ( all depending on traffic, of course, but Ive done a pretty good job avoiding that so far. Maybe of the 1500 + miles we've driven already, only lost about 20 minutes ( in total) of time in traffic.

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

FAME studios
Muscle Shoals Alabama
Welcome to Alabama, cotton Fields
Fame Studios
Piano Aretha Franklin played ( still works and sounds great)
**PIcture yourself in this small room, with 40 + people who's phones are going off and have no clue how to silence them**

Attachments

• IMG_7454.jpg
    IMG_7454.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7459.jpg
    IMG_7459.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7462.jpg
    IMG_7462.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7491.jpg
    IMG_7491.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 75
Muscle Shoals Studio Pics

Muscle Shoals Studios,
Offspring of FAME Studios ( studio band decided to do their own thing)

Me trying to look like a rock start with my shades and hat getting kissed by a crazed fan ( wife of 27 + years, obviously she is crazy lol )

Piano used in the following songs, recorded at this studio in this very room:
1) Kodachrome , Paul Simon
2) Old Time Rock and Roll, Bob Seger
3) Original demo of Free Bird, Lynyrd Skynyrd ( seeing them tomorrow night)

Bill receipt from the studio time the Rolling Stones recored " Wild Horses". Cost them just over $1000.

Bathroom where Keith Richards wrote the last 2 versus of Wild Horses. Too much going on in the studio, and needed a place to concentrate and finish the song, so he sat on the can, closed the door, and completed the song.

Attachments

• IMG_7568.jpg
    IMG_7568.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7547.jpg
    IMG_7547.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7538.jpg
    IMG_7538.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7533.jpg
    IMG_7533.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 76
*****Warped Sense of Humor Alert *****

As you can see, I didnt bring the banjo to recreate the Banjo on my knee in Alabama photo op, but how could I go a whole vacation without embarrassing my wife ( or myself).

Well, I got my opportunity today. I figured if Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones could co-write a great song while sitting on the toilet , maybe I can get some inspiration, or channel is greatness from the very same spot he found his creativity.

Clearly I showed no shame, what did I care if the rest of the tour looked at me with shame and disgust on their mind. My wife took the pic, so she couldn't have been to embarrassed.

Attachments

• IMG_7558.jpg
    IMG_7558.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 73
Grand Ole Opry

Hankering for Fresh Vegetables.
Grand Ole Opry from behind the stage
Notice on the floor of the hallway, the dressing rooms are numbered on the floor by signs that are shaped like guitar pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7590.jpg
    IMG_7590.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7597.jpg
    IMG_7597.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7609.jpg
    IMG_7609.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 82
Keep 'em coming, larry.

...When we pulled up, there was a tour bus that had just gotten there and was releasing its passengers. The passengers was a senior tour group of about 40 + people...Only negative, and I dont mean to pick on the elderly, maybe its a stereotype to say elderly people dont know how to use electronic devices, but if thats the case, then every stereotyped elderly person was on this group tour with a cell phone they did not know how to use or shut off...
Wondering how old these "elderly" were, larry. I bet their problem with technology wasn't because of their age, it was because they were the kind of people who go on tour buses. ;) My cellphone-toting FIL took driving trips in his RV until he was almost 80. Drove from FL to OH for our kids' high school graduation party in 1999 - he was 78 at the time, AND could manage a cellphone - and his traveling lady companion. :brows:

...On to the next stop, The house where Hellen Keller was born / and lived in her early life. Very cool to see that actual site where something I learned as a kid took place...
I was enamored with Helen Keller because I share the same birthday with her - years apart, of course. I went to Catholic school. The nuns were under the impression that girls behaved and boys didn't, so the girls were usually grouped in the back of the class. I taught all of my friends the manual alphabet so that we could "talk"without Sr. Deomira knowing. :LOL:

Wondering how old these "elderly" were, larry. I bet their problem with technology wasn't because of their age, it was because they were the kind of people who go on tour buses. ;) My cellphone-toting FIL took driving trips in his RV until he was almost 80. Drove from FL to OH for our kids' high school graduation party in 1999 - he was 78 at the time, AND could manage a cellphone - and his traveling lady companion. :brows:

Very well could be a 'Tour Bus' type of person stereotype rathe than an elderly thing. Never really thought about it ( and never really cared across too many tour bus people in my life to make the distinction, but i see your point :LOL:

And by no means am I trying to disrespect the elderly ( or the tour bus kind) :angel:

It was just a group of Technologically inept people, or just plain old rude with no manners. As I mentioned, after the 3rd or 4th time, I actually found it comical. I knew enough of the history content ( cause I did my homework, of course) that I didnt miss much from their interruptions, and now I have this cool story/ memory to tell.

Speaking of doing homework, I am up early brushing up on my history, as we are going to Andrew Jacksons home today, and I always like having a little head start on the info. It allows me to follow the tour a little better, and ask clever questions so I look like the start pupil, and not a tour bus person :ROFLMAO: Seriously, I think knowing a little before you do things likes this allows you to get more out of a tour.

The weather has played a role in our activities today. Its suppose to be really crappy out, so I dont really feel like driving too much. Also, we were supposed to head down to Rock City Georgia and Chattanooga to do some outdoorsy kinda things ( and some other stuff too), but the weather would seriously affect what we would be able to see, so, guess I'll have to come back this way again in the future to do these things. I always keep my vacation plans of every trip so I can see what I did, and what I didnt do. Helps me plan the next trip better. I also 'red pencil' my travel plans ( literally with a red pencil, as if I was a teacher) at the end of each day. I keep track of what I liked, didn't like, were there any problems with travel timing, or leaving too much or too little time to stay at a location. Did I see any signs along the way of attractions I didnt know about and would like to do, I cross off what we didnt do ( but being a red pencil, I can still make out what it was so I can replan it in the future). The red stands out, so if and when I look back, I can see how I could have planned it even a little better the next time.

As clever as the above makes me sound, usually all this stuff winds up on a pile in the basement somewhere and never gets looked at again :LOL:, but truth is, I do go back occasionally to retrieve something. We go to so many different things, a lot of the small details do slip my memory, so its nice to have these trip plans archived. Another thing I do is when I make up the final photo book of the trip, usually in the last pages I include copies of all my notes, itineraries and such. This way I can see all the effort that went into the planning and its in a nice, easily located place. People who see it think im crazy, and spend too much time on it. My wife says I love doing it ( the planning and organizing) and that its part of the fun of the trip for me.

After this one, I have to start planning the cross country ,see my son graduate from the university of montana, trip. Ugh.. Good thing about this, is I still have my plans from the last time we did this trip. Bad thing is, I want to take a different route so I see new attractions :ROFLMAO: Let the planning begin !!1

As an aside to my own pictures, when I saw the toilet seat hanging above the bathroom like they did with horseshoes, I got this little twinkle in my eye. After 27 years of marriage and 35 years of knowing each other ( or something like that) my wife knows what that twinkle means, and without saying anything out loud, I got an immediate, streaking loud "NO, WE ARE NOT DOING THAT IN OUR HOUSE". With a amazement and a look like a puppy gets after you yell at it, I tried to argue my case, that if we turn it right side up, it means good luck. Her response was ' If good luck means finding a new wife and a new house, then you're on to something". Well, Im still weighing out my options :ROFLMAO:

Larry, just remember that with a horseshoe, if you have the open end on top it is supposed to keep your good luck in and it won't fall out. The same would apply to a toilet seat (I suppose). Do you want constipation or the opposite?

And remember "happy wife, happy life."

...I figured if Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones could co-write a great song while sitting on the toilet , maybe I can get some inspiration, or channel is greatness from the very same spot he found his creativity...

Larry, did you have a great revelation or was all you could come up with a crappy song?

Larry, just remember that with a horseshoe, if you have the open end on top it is supposed to keep your good luck in and it won't fall out. The same would apply to a toilet seat (I suppose). Do you want constipation or the opposite?

And remember "happy wife, happy life."

Great !!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom