Road Trip from Arizona To Maryland And Everywhere In Between

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As amazing as Monticello is (and it IS!), we actually prefer it's little sister, Poplar Forest, 11 miles southwest of Lynchburg, VA. Jefferson built it as his summer home, his get-away from the bother of Washington and politics. It's a less ostentatious home, a rather cozy dwelling considering his status in the country, and a very pleasant history lesson. Then again, we haven't had a chance to stop there for about ten years. I do know they've modernized the Visitor's Center and access to the main house and dependencies, but I can say the same about Monticello from our first visit (probably mid-1970's) until our most recent (maybe 1988?). Once we stumbled upon Poplar Forest, we haven't visited Monticello. Hmm, maybe it's time...

CG, I had Poplar forest on my list, but with all the goings on at the Lake, we just never made it :( ... along a few other spots ...

I too have been enjoying this thread!, Its like reading a good book,always wondering whats going to happen next. Ill be sure to start a thread when the time comes. Probably giving you guys a head start, just so there's time to consider suggestions and changes things up a bit. The last road trip I took had more of a " we have to get there" theme, just doing what we could that fell exactly on our path. Still was great fun, but we had more limitations. This one Ill have more freedom to deviate a bit, although Im a planning / follow the itinerary freak, so going off schedule freaks me out a bit :ROFLMAO: .

I also enjoy seeing this thread just to see how others do the road trip thing, learning a few things along the way.

Larry, oh my gosh, what a fantastic compliment for a wanna-be such as myself :blush:
I hope that you've read some of my blog as well?

The historic Michie Tavern is another fun place to visit in Charlottesville. With all the veggie sides and peach cobbler for dessert, you can have a nice vegetarian meal: https://www.michietavern.com/michie-taverns-menu/

I'd suggest not driving in DC no matter where you're from. It's difficult to find parking and it's expensive. We like to stay in historic Alexandria, VA and take the train to DC. The hotels are less expensive, Old Town Alexandria is pretty, and the Mall is about 15 minutes away by train.

GG, I totally agree with you! Oh and both of you gals, I loved Michie Tavern too. We went there, oh my, maybe 15-20 years ago? So much to see and so little time to do it all in ...

And yes Larry, please be sure to keep us all updated with your travels! I look forward to it. Like you, I like to hear how other folks travel.

I'd suggest not driving in DC no matter where you're from. It's difficult to find parking and it's expensive. We like to stay in historic Alexandria, VA and take the train to DC. The hotels are less expensive, Old Town Alexandria is pretty, and the Mall is about 15 minutes away by train.

Trust me, I hear ya.

DC is one of the worst cities I've ever driven in.
We were actually there a few months ago ( for my wife B-day). Took her to see Cher in concert, and sent a few days in DC ( Toured the White House, Some Smithsonian stuff..., typical tourist stuff). Since we were there so recently, we'll probably just pass on by, but DC, along with some of the other cities I mentioned are ones that are within range of possibly visiting depending on timing.
Every time we go to DC something happens to our car ( Wouldn't start, had to get it towed, then this past time hit a HUGE Pot hole on the Jersey Tpk,had to drive the rest of the way to DC on a Donut, and spent a morning in a Toyota dealership ( outside of DC) getting a new tire and rim. What annoyed me is I got 2 nights at the hotel for free cause of credit card points, just to be wiped out on the $800 cost of the new tire and rim.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom