Sandwich pics from each state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting that they consider the pasty a sandwich. I'd liken it to a stuffed pasta, like ravioli or pierogi.

I've always considered them more of a savory pie, but I could see "sandwich" being a description, although maybe not in the strict sense. Pasties were designed to make food more transportable, so miners could take their lunches down into the mine with them.

Pennsylvania has the pork and broccoli rabe sandwich??? Give me a break! The Philly Cheese Steak is iconic and synonymous with Philadelphia and Pennsylvania.

At least they didn't mention Primante's sandwich with french fries and cole slaw...

I said exactly the same thing, Hoot, when I looked at that pulled pork sandwich. Where's the slaw?!
And yes, pork and broccoli rabe is very popular here in PA... NOT! :rolleyes: That one must be a Harrisburg thing :LOL:
That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have liked to dig into a lot of them though :yum:

And the Beef on Weck is what that Baltimore pit beef I just cooked reminded me of, but I couldn't think of it. I used to get them at a German men's club in Erie a looooong time ago. It was one of those things bugging me everytime I ate one (which has been every day since Sunday :pig:), so it was nice feeding my memory that tidbit.

Pennsylvania has the pork and broccoli rabe sandwich??? Give me a break! The Philly Cheese Steak is iconic and synonymous with Philadelphia and Pennsylvania.

At least they didn't mention Primante's sandwich with french fries and cole slaw...

IMO those Priamante sandwichs and similar offering are just plain gross!

Everything in them is wonderful, combined into one sandwich they are just disgusting! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

IMO those Priamante sandwichs and similar offering are just plain gross!

Everything in them is wonderful, combined into one sandwich they are just disgusting! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Yeah... and what's up with those Italian subs? three kinds of meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, salad dressing... gross! Is it a sandwich or a salad? :rolleyes:

All tongue in cheek, Aunt Bea ;)

Yeah... and what's up with those Italian subs? three kinds of meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, salad dressing... gross! Is it a sandwich or a salad? :rolleyes:

All tongue in cheek, Aunt Bea ;)

My main problem with all of these monster sandwiches is not the ingredients.
It is the problem with eating them, when you try to take a bite they seem to self destruct and leave you with a plate or lap filled with a pile of disgusting slop. When I am served one of those nowadays, I don't even attempt to eat it, I just push it aside, pay the bill and leave. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Well, yeah. That's why you need to take a picture of it before that first bite :LOL:

Vortex burger2.jpg

And have a fork handy ;)

Last edited:
I share your HO! ;) I thought the same thing. Since when is coleslaw optional on a Carolina barbecue sandwich?? ;)

I do agree. This is a very nice sandwich, however.

I desire to try to make barbeque pork someday.

Your friend,
~Cat

This seems like a better list than I've seen previously. The other article just had "gourmet" sandwiches that happened to be made in each state regardless of them being popular there.

With Maine the lobster roll is certainly big, and it's certainly what tourists think of when they think of a sandwich in Maine, but for the locals it's something different. It's called an Italian, just an Italian. It's not what you would expect from places with a large Italian population, but Maine's take on it. Usually starts out with a soft sub roll, then it's topped with ham and salami (one or the other or both), Provolone or American, onions, green peppers, black olives, pickles, oil and salt. Mainers don't claim that there is anything authentic about this sandwich, but it's the most popular one in the state, any sandwich shop will have it.

Last edited:
They nailed Montana - The Staggering Ox is hands down the best sandwich shop ever.

The Wyoming sandwich, though - Bison - designer sandwich, no self respecting Wyomingite would eat one. Now a juicy Lamburger with your mittens on is a better choice. I lived in Laramie for a good part of my life and never heard of that coffeehouse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom