Seating arrangements when you go out with your significant other.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So this is more of a how do you sit when you go out, rather than specifically road food.

The other night I went out to dinner with my wife, and as we usually do, we sat across from each other, facing each other.

Another couple came in shortly after, sat in a booth side by side, next to each other.

It striked me as strange at first, but as I thought more about it, i figured , why not.

So, my question is, when you go out to eat with your significant other, do you prefer to sit across from, or next to your date ?

larry

I prefer across from each other. It makes conversation easier. Plus I like looking at my female companion. :)

Generally speaking, we sit across from each other. I prefer to look directly at the person with whom I am conversing, along with enjoying how handsome he is. Granted, Glenn has a wonderful profile but I much rather enjoy looking at him face on.

As for the couple you observed, perhaps they were in the early stages of their relationship and wished to be more "snuggle" close than across the table.

Don't take their age as a cue. Glenn and I were "young and in love" when both of us were 60. Love has no age boundaries.

I prefer to seat facing entrance. So depending on the place it may be either or.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Shrek and I sit across from each other, then hold hands across the table. This is in any food place, from the fancy steak house to McDonalds.

I sit wherever my butt fit's and the chow is in front of me. :yum:

No set rules as far as I'm concerned.

Different seating arrangements lead to varied conversations.

This can and cannot be a good thing. ;)

User discretion advised. :rolleyes:

In a booth, we usually sit across from each other, but sometimes we sit next to each other. If we're at a table, I like to sit next to each other.

I prefer to seat facing entrance. So depending on the place it may be either or.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Interesting you say that Charlie. I always want to see the door also. I have crowding issues at times and we always sit across from each other because of that.
PF, we're also known for hand holding across the table. ;)
We prefer tables to booths, but I do not like those tall tables and chairs.

I hate those big booths. When I'm with my group of 6 or 7 ladies they always want to seat us in one of them. Not gonna happen! I have to be able to get out.

I've always been picky about where I sit. Just me I guess.

Depends on whether it's a booth or table, alone or with others, the occasion for the "date". Alone we usually sit across, but in a slide in booth, we may sit beside. Out with another couple, we sit next next to each other if in a booth, either across or 90 degrees if at a square table. With a larger group we could be mixed in almost anywhere depending on who we'd rather visit with.

Booth, across. I too like to be able to see the door. There's a story about a famous cowboy (thinking it was Wild Bill Hickok) who always sat facing the door. One day, while playing poker, his usual seat was taken so he sat with his back to the door. He got shot. With the famous Dead Man's hand, aces and eights.

With a table and other people, it varies.

Last edited:
Men usually like side-by-side bonding, especially with other men, think 'watching football', 'doing some woodwork together', hiking in the woods. Women like to bond face to face in general, where they can pay attention to the other person's eyes and facial expressions.
I liked side-by-side bonding with my teenage sons, cooking in the kitchen, watching tv together, walking/shopping. Face to face communication is better for me for more serious talking.
My DH and I do both. For light conversations and stories we sit next to each other. For more serious stuff we sit face to face.

Booth, across. I too like to be able to see the door. There's a story about a famous cowboy (thinking it was Wild Bill Hickok) who always sat facing the door. One day, while playing poker, his usual seat was taken so he sat with his back to the door. He got shot. With the famous Dead Man's hand, aces and eights.

With a table and other people, it varies.

I was trying to remember about facing the door Dawg. I think there's more gangster stories like that too. I'm just nosy about who comes in.:rolleyes:

Several physical limitations usually govern our seating choices when we dine out. Many years ago, when Glenn was working, he was injured on the job...his back and the hearing on the right side. Two summers ago, he had a mild stroke and lost most of his peripheral vision on the right side.

As a result, when we're out together, I try to sit to his right. That may seem unusual, but it's to aid him when the waitress is nearby or there are other diners moving about. Before we established our routine, more than once he bumped a waitress or turned an elbow toward a diner walking by to go to the restroom.

I do the same when we're with friends. Most of them don't know of his vision or hearing impairments because they're usually seated at his "good" side. If I want to speak to him, I just gently touch his forearm or get his attention in some other subtle manner.

OK, Roadfix, and you know this how? Not judging....:LOL:

Last edited:
We prefer sitting at the bar, even in nice places. We went to brunch at one of Bostons best today and had a great time at the bar....

At a table across or kitty corner

Probably across in a booth too unless it's something super romantic ...

Our preference is at the bar too. When a restaurant is packed and there's a waiting list, we sit there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom