Subway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, if you check their store locator, there are quite a few Subway shops in Boston.

There just aren't any here in my section of Boston. There was one over in Everett. It lasted about three months. They just don't last in an Italian neighborhood. Too many Italian sub shops for competition. :angel:

Not sure why any local would go to a Subway with all the local shops around.

I've mentioned my Friday ritual of an Italian sub every Friday. A local shop makes the perfect Italian sub (IMHO). After years of searching chain and locals, I found this place and my quest is over.

Not sure why any local would go to a Subway with all the local shops around.

I've mentioned my Friday ritual of an Italian sub every Friday. A local shop makes the perfect Italian sub (IMHO). After years of searching chain and locals, I found this place and my quest is over.

There is something special about an Italian sub. What do they put on top of yours? In this town it is a mixture of chopped pickles/chopped hot cherry peppers. Then a sprinkle of Italian mixed herbs. Along with a red vinegar and olive oil. And the shop I go to really packs in the cold cuts and Provolone cheese. But the best part is that the shop is just around the corner from here. And of course it is on a corner. :angel:

There is something special about an Italian sub. What do they put on top of yours? In this town it is a mixture of chopped pickles/chopped hot cherry peppers. Then a sprinkle of Italian mixed herbs. Along with a red vinegar and olive oil. And the shop I go to really packs in the cold cuts and Provolone cheese. But the best part is that the shop is just around the corner from here. And of course it is on a corner. :angel:

All that, Addie, except lettuce.

Subway has changed their bread. It's more pastry like, almost like a croissant. Needless to say I don't like it.

Why does almost every sandwich Subway make have to have all the "fixins" ?
I know you can request which ones, but still...

I don't need bell peppers and a ton of onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes on a steak sammie...jeesh!

I like their Italian BMT with all that stuff, but then they load it onto sandwiches that have no business having all that stuff. :blink:

Last edited:
Caslon, I disagree as far as toppings. We like all the veggies! Italian BMT is the fave here, I like everything on it, including shredded lettuce and especially banana peppers. I don't care for regular dill pickles, sorta takes away the Italian. (As if there was Italian in Subway, but subs are one of DH's passions.)

Last edited:
if my buddy ozzy had lived, subway would be out of business by now.

he was a "give me extra everything that doesn't cost extra" kinda guy. at a fast food burger joint he'd order the most basic burger, then get every extra free topping.

if he went to subway, it was tuna with extra everything. extra extra until the poor sandwich maker said enough. lol.

i like subway tuna, and i can tolerate their turkey when sharing a sandwich with dw :(, but the rest of their meats look like they're made from the plastic stuff they just removed from their bread.

andy and addie, i live near a few italian neighborhoods and for some unknown reason subway shops exist right along side the mom and pop italian joints. much like great pizza right next to pizza huts and papas john.

i don't get it.

maybe it's just the wide variety of breads and toppings available at subway. most italian places have bread choices in shapes, not type. and toppings are limited to basic italian deli.

Subway is hit or miss for me too. I like the BMT and the meatball sub. As far as great subs go, there's a greasy spoon called The West Pier in my home town. When I was a child, the only sub that could be had was there. It consisted of bologna, salami, cheese, chopped green pepper, shredded lettuce, chopped black olives, and onion. It was made of the best sub rolls and fillings the owner could purchase. He made the subs to be sold the night before, so as to let the flavors mingle a bit. If he ran out, he would not make more, or sell them freshly made. Sadly, in our world of bottom line trumps everything, the quality of ingredients available in the 60
2 and 70's can't be had in these parts any more, and so the sub, though still pretty good, is no longer magical.

In El Cajon Ca. there was a place called Grinders. It had wonderful italian subs, dressed with EVOO.

The best I can find now is at a gas station/convenience store in a little town called Guliver, on highway US-2, enroute to Manistique MI. They have a wonderfully light and delicate sub roll, with very good hard salami, pepperoni, and capicola, all with a good provolone, topped with a choice of dressings, black olives, onion, peppers, etc. The sandwich is toasted, which results in a crisp, very thin and delightful outer crust, supremely tender bread crumb, and those great fillings that sing on the palate.

My other favorite sub is only available on Christmas day, in my dining room. We purchase several kinds of cheese, and deli meats, along with a couple different breads, and dressings, and veggies. Then, we make our own subs the way we want, and toast them or not as personally desired. no one has to spend the day cooking.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We too can make our own "official" Italian subs at home. We can purchase those chopped pickles with chopped tomatoes and a large jar of the chopped hot cherry pepper right at our supermarket. And we can go into any sub shop and buy the sub rolls. For a party, we can order them by the bagful. And just about every household has the red vinegar and olive oil along with the herbs. A stop at the deli counter or your favorite sub shop will fill your need for all the cold cuts and cheeses. Most of the sub shops that I know of, order all their bread needs from Pantidosi in Malden. They are a huge bakery that services other food purveyors. They make the subs to their special specifications and lengths. :angel:

No Subway's here in my town. We have privately owned sub shops on almost every corner. And the majority offer hot subs. Meatball, eggplant, sausage, egg and pepper, etc. Then you have your choice of American or Italian cold cut ones. Oil and vinegar on the cold ones with a shake or two of Italian spices. I always get an eggplant with extra sauce and grated cheese. My favorite veggie.

Over in the city of Everett, someone made the following observation to me one day. There is a sub shop on every corner and right next door or across the street is a hair salon. Sure enough, the last time I went through there, they were right. I am not sure what the connection may be, but it is interesting. :angel:
The workers in the hair salons go to Subway for their lunch and working women who get their hair done in their lunch break pick up a sandwich on the way in and eat it under the hairdryer. If it wasn't Subway it'd be something else.

We too can make our own "official" Italian subs at home. We can purchase those chopped pickles with chopped tomatoes and a large jar of the chopped hot cherry pepper right at our supermarket. And we can go into any sub shop and buy the sub rolls. For a party, we can order them by the bagful. And just about every household has the red vinegar and olive oil along with the herbs. A stop at the deli counter or your favorite sub shop will fill your need for all the cold cuts and cheeses. Most of the sub shops that I know of, order all their bread needs from Pantidosi in Malden. They are a huge bakery that services other food purveyors. They make the subs to their special specifications and lengths. :angel:

Just about anybody in a town of any size can do that. What's the big deal?

Just about anybody in a town of any size can do that. What's the big deal?

Maybe so, but where I live, the choices are far fewer than in bigger towns. There are great cheeses and cold cuts that just aren't available here. To get really good cheese, I have to cross into Canada. Same with really good varieties of salami, and other sausages.

I get better blueberries than many though. It' all a trade off.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Maybe so, but where I live, the choices are far fewer than in bigger towns. There are great cheeses and cold cuts that just aren't available here. To get really good cheese, I have to cross into Canada. Same with really good varieties of salami, and other sausages.

Well, that's why I said "of any size." If you live in a rural area, then of course you won't have the same choices. But Addie speaks as if only Boston has specialty cheeses and cold cuts, particularly Italian, which is silly. We have an Italian restaurant in town that sells house-made fresh mozzarella and freshly made pasta sauces at the weekly farmers market. And the supermarkets carry pretty much any salumi or charcuterie I want.

We are very fortunate here in Boston. We can get just about any Italian hand made cold cut. And we also have available to us major imported Italian cold cuts. Up on Route #1 there is a man who makes German and Italian sausages. Well worth the price. About a month before a major holiday like Easter, Christmas, you have to place an order with him. When we walk up to the deli counter in a supermarket, they usually have a section of just imported Italian cold cuts. In this town Pizzagaina is the major dish for Easter. It is filled with Italian cold cuts, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, etc. The Pirate's FIL makes all his own cold cuts. TP is going to see if he has been making them this year and if so he is going to ask him for some so I can make one. It is very expensive to make. And a lot of work. It is usually the tradition that all the women in the family get together on Good Friday and help make it. The following will give you an idea of what is involved. Some families will ask a priest to come to the home and bless the pie. :angel:

Pizza Gain Aka Pizzagaina, Pizza Rustica, Italian Easter Ham Pie Recipe - Food.com

Well, that's why I said "of any size." If you live in a rural area, then of course you won't have the same choices. But Addie speaks as if only Boston has specialty cheeses and cold cuts, particularly Italian, which is silly. We have an Italian restaurant in town that sells house-made fresh mozzarella and freshly made pasta sauces at the weekly farmers market. And the supermarkets carry pretty much any salumi or charcuterie I want.

Boston is the closest port to Europe. But if you want Italian, then head to New York. We have a very active and alive Little Italy. But I am sure that you can find Italian food in New York than you won't find here in Boston. Boston is not the only city that has a very large Italian population. :angel:

Boston is the closest port to Europe. But if you want Italian, then head to New York. We have a very active and alive Little Italy. But I am sure that you can find Italian food in New York than you won't find here in Boston. Boston is not the only city that has a very large Italian population. :angel:
You should specify "closest US port to Europe". Saint John's, Newfoundland and Halifax, Nova Scotia are closer.

We've been over this before - Maine has a port closer to Europe than Boston, but it doesn't matter because that's not how shipping works. The Port of Hampton Roads, where I am, imports much more tonnage from Europe than Boston does because we have a deeper harbor that can handle the mega-container ships that are in use today. So it's likely that the Italian meats and cheeses you enjoy were sent up the coast on a train from here.

And you don't have to be Italian to appreciate the food.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom