TN - Knoxville and IL - Chicago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd & Kathy

Assistant Cook
My job has me traveling quiet a bit this year and I am going o get to take Kathy along on some trips. I plan on doing as much business on Fridays so we can stay over weekends and take in the sights! My first trip this year will be to Knoxville, TN on February 8-11 I would appreciated any advice on where to dine. I heard there was a Famous Daves there but, I have never been to one? I am also going to Chicago the first weekend in March, I have been there several tie but never been able to spend any time there besides business but this time Kathy is going with and we are staying over the weekend whoeee! I just joined this site but I have to tell you all I think it is awesome!

Well, I LOVE Famous Daves! :w00t2:
Anyhew, I live in Chicago and I would enjoy to directing you towards some of the better places to eat. All I need to know is what area of Chicago you will be in. :)

Last edited:
Well, I have business in Elmhurst but we wil be staying the weekend on the miracle mile.

Gosh, we lived in Chicago for about 4 years almost thirty years ago. Get back every once in a while (call that reguolarly every ten years) and love the place.

So we are very out of date.

Many like Rick Bayless' places Topolobampo and the Frontera Grill. Need to book early as I recall.

And we are starting to plan a trip there, the food is great.

But we will never set our feet in Chicago without getting one of their hotdogs.

Can get them almost anywhere in the city, without a full, whole nine yards, with everything Chicago frank you just have not experienced true dog heaven. Or Chicago.

Am sure there are many who will be along to help you with the finer parts of Chi dining, but leaving without experiencing their wieners is akin to going to London for the first time and shunning fish and chips (the dogs are better).

Have a great trip.

Todd & Kathy said:
miracle mile.
It's the magnificent mile. If you talk about the miracle mile up in Chicago people will look at you funny;)

Anyways, I too, am from the Chicago area originally, so share with us what type of food you would be interested in and we can help you out!

hehehehehehehehehe , yes magnificent mile!:) I better get that right before I get there!:) We will be meeting my parents there, they live in Michigan and like to travel to Chicago several times a year. We like all types food but, when we travel we do like to take in the local favorites! I have been to Elmhurst 3 time on business and once to Elburn. I work for Caterpillar and visit a dealership there (Patten Industries) at least once a year sometimes twice but, tis is the first time Kathy has been, she is REALLY excited! Local favorites will definately work!

Knoxville Dining

This is a great site for Knoxville and surrounding area restaurants. Here is the link Knoxville Restaurants | Area Restaurant Guide. I think the lady in the post above is talking about the Copper Cellar. There isn't a Copper Kettle restaurant in Knoxville. I have lived here since 1983 and have never heard of it.

Last edited:
I use Home - Chowhound whenever I go anywhere new.

In CHicago, I'd hit Giordano's for awesome deep dish pizza and I'd get breakfast at Ann Sathers - their cinnamon rolls are to die for. I could give you a long, long list of places to eat in Chicago - its a great town for foodies.

In Knoxville, there are many BBQ joints, I'd check over at chowhound and see what sounds good. Famous Dave's is a chain and I ate there once and I was NOT impressed.

Another great breakfast place in Chicago is Lou Mitchell's (sush, jennyema - did I get the name right? It's been awhile). It's down one of the streets near Union Station.

Tons of food, line out the door. Lou, if he's still there, always hands out that taffy candy (dang, I can't remember anything this afternoon) to the ladies.

Well, we are back from Knoxville and had a great time! We enjoy local flavors when we travel and we had one of the best dining experiences ever! May be the best. We were just riding around and stopped at Calhouns on the river, right down from the U of T stadium. We had the best meal, A local brew, light but with a distinct flavor of a good German Pilsner. They had a hickory smoked prime rib that was to die for! Kathy had a side called spinach Marie that was delightful! I had a side of beans that were equally as good. The service was excellent and the view of the river just added to the experience. I must say every person I came into contact with was very nice. If you are in Koxville you must try this place out!

I didn't see this thread until now.:blush:

I could have recommended all sorts of places, considering I *live* in Knoxville.

I have the recipe for the Spinach Maria if you want it. :)

chank51 said:
This is a great site for Knoxville and surrounding area restaurants. Here is the link Knoxville Restaurants | Area Restaurant Guide. I think the lady in the post above is talking about the Copper Cellar. There isn't a Copper Kettle restaurant in Knoxville. I have lived here since 1983 and have never heard of it.

The Copper Kettle is/was at the corner of Copper Kettle (now called Ed Shouse) and Western. When you take the exit off of 640 and use the shortcut over to Middlebrook, that's what used to be Copper Kettle Blvd. It's the restaurant on the corner, between Randy Tyree and Shouse.

Copper Cellar is owned by the same guy, Mike Chase, who owns Calhouns and Chesapeake's.

I, too, am from the Chicago area. There is a Caterpillar plant five miles from my house - will you be visiting it? It is in Montgomery, IL. Anyways, anything Sushi says, he is the "cruise director" and very good at it. I agree, you must get a hot dog (don't you dare mention ketchup or you'll be thrown out of the place), get a good beef, deep dish pizza is a must, my favorite is Lou Malnati's but alot of people like Giordanno's or Uno's. You can never go wrong at any of those places.

I'll have to dig out the cookbook that I have with it. It's the original Calhoun's recipe, in a long-since out-of-print cookbook we used to carry at our bookstore.

Did the Spinach Maria recipe ever get posted? I tried searching, but was not able to find it.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom