VA - Fairfax ... Whole Foods Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok...I know there is one in Austin (from reading this thread). Where are Whole Foods located? Would I be able to Google and locate? Thanks

Aria said:
Ok...I know there is one in Austin (from reading this thread). Where are Whole Foods located? Would I be able to Google and locate? Thanks

Check your PM's. I sent you some info there.

I love both Whole Foods and Trader Joes and wish there was one or the other near me. As it is, a trip to Madison means a stop and whole foods, and a friend who has a vacation home here but lives in Chicago shows up regularly with treats from Whole Foods. If you are lucky enough to have regular access to both, lucky, lucky you!

BreezyCooking said:
I’ll definitely be back to this particular Whole Foods. It’s about an hour’s drive from me if I go during off-peak traffic hours, but even with gas prices, it’s worth it.

Visited this very same WF for the first time a few weekends ago. Breezy's review is spot on.

If they don't have it, you don't need it!

i am a hugggggggggggeeeeeee fan of whole foods!! we go to the one on duke st. i've never been to the fairfax one, but will have to check it out!

Yes - all the Whole Foods stores are great, but this new Fairfax one is way over the top. What I could do with a free shopping spree in that place - lol!!

We visited the Whole Foods in Charlottesville, VA, a couple of weeks ago, & while it's an older store & not as fabulous as the new Fairfax one, I still came home with some samphire, a HUGE bunch of fresh dill, a wonderful fresh wild Alaskan salmon filet (to go with the dill - lol!), some ricotta insalata (sliceable ricotta), "Drunken Goat" cheese (goat cheese with a dry red wine rind), some turkey ham, flavored turkey sausages, frozen squid, & a spinach & feta foccacia.

They had absolutely gorgeous extra-large morel mushrooms, but they were $12.99 for 4 packaged mushrooms totalling around 3 ounces, so I passed. They were, however, definitely large enough for stuffing, so perhaps another time (when I don't have the husband in tow - lol!!!!!).

There also used to be a place in Old Town Alexandria (where I lived at the time) called Sutton Place Gourmet. It was very expensive, but what a great place. When Mom and Dad came to spend Christmas with us one year, we took them there to shop, and they just about died from pleasure. What we bought was a New England Clambake package. My dad was looking and pointing at this, that, and the other thing. I remember this with such pleasure because now Mom can barely eat, and Dad is down to basic foods. But at the time we had a lot more $$ than we have now, so when they'd sigh over something, we'd buy it, take it home, and cook it. Yes, expensive, but if you're getting a restaurant quality meal at home, then it is worth it.

We call it "Whole Paycheck"

I frequent the Farmer's Markets in Maryland and get most of my produce there unless I grow it myself. I'm not a big fan of Whole Foods, I find the sausages are too dry, not enough of a fat content to keep it moist after cooking it on the grill. I did buy a whole suckling pig there once, all 66 pounds of it, it only took 7 people to eat it down to the bone.

I was there the other day and loved it, found the priced to be comparable to Harris Teeter at the Beach, but some of the stuff was pricey. Can't shop there every day, but so far, the only thing I have found to be over priced is the hot prepared foods, we had carry out for 3, $30...

Did find a dry aged 3 year Gouda that I have been looking for, for a while.

Week End

Some of you really make me feel guilty about the pleasure, and I do mean pleasure, of shopping there every weekend. However, I do have to watch myself as when I get to the checkout I feel I should have left some things there. But I figure that the money I spend here the less for the doctor. I do mean that. My health has definitely IMPROVED since I have been shopping there. The main item is the oatmeal. John McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal is the brand. It is the ONLY brand I will buy as I have tried the bulk also and have noticed definite difference. This is for me. I do as Bob Greene suggests and watch what I eat. If only person would pay attention to themselves, I don't think lot of us would have problems we do. Having other people make our lives miserable is truly one way to destruct. You have to love yourself first. I have even found that Whole Foods is cheaper on some things than the regular store I go to. I also want to let you in on a secret. Maybe you know it already. I keep all my receipts. If something is not to my satisfaction they will refund your money. I don't know if all stores are this way but worth a try. Just be sure to keep the receipt and don't abuse this policy else it will make it hard for others.

I bet Donald Trump is sorry that he never started a store like this. No place like it and I for one definitely hope it succeeds. In fact, it makes me so grateful to see so many others in the store trying to protect their health. I hope they continue to grow and there will be more stores available for people who have to travel miles. My store is only 15 minutes away and it is always crowded. As I wrote in another post lot of local celebrities are shopping there too. Kind of fun to see who is conscious of what they eat. They sure look it too. Guess they do anything to keep their jobs.

I do hope you will all continue to support this store. Won't do anything but help you to live long, that is if driver with cell phone don't ruin it. Can't stand someone driving and on cell phone. I tried it. Too distracting. That is another topic

TATTRAT said:
Did find a dry aged 3 year Gouda that I have been looking for, for a while.

Isn't this stuff GREAT? This is a cheese you are supposed to keep out of the refrigerator. I LOVE the little crystallized bits in it.

OnlineCooking said:
For those of you in the DC metro area, alot of the dry goods that you find at Whole Foods can be found at Rodman's.

Oh, Online, I'd forgotten about Rodman's. When I worked on Wisconsin Avenue, there was one a couple of blocks from my office. It was handy to do some of my grocery shopping at lunchtime there. As I remember, they had great regular prices and their sales were wonderful.

I hope there are still many of their stores still around.

Use?

kitchenelf said:
Isn't this stuff GREAT? This is a cheese you are supposed to keep out of the refrigerator. I LOVE the little crystallized bits in it.

What is this mainly used for? Something like Romano or Parmasean? Have to look for it but want to know why?

Thanks

In the Kitchen said:
What is this mainly used for? Something like Romano or Parmasean? Have to look for it but want to know why?

Thanks

I use it strictly for eating. It is the kind of cheese that is rich and creamy and doesn't take much to be very satisfying. The smaller the slice/piece the better it is. Take a little bite and savor it!!!!! I won't waste it for cooking. :chef: Though I did use it one time to grate on some pasta - it's just MUCH better eaten plain.

kitchenelf said:

YES! One of my ALL time faves! I fell in love with it whilst living in Amsterdam and had a heck of a time finding it state side. it is hard to discribe the flavor except for almost like the best darned parm you have ever had, but nuttier and just intense and complex. FOr those that want to try something different, try it, you will not be disapointed!

OnlineCooking said:
For those of you in the DC metro area, alot of the dry goods that you find at Whole Foods can be found at Rodman's.

this must be a Maryland store, Online. I haven't seen on over here in Virginia.

Thanks

Tattrat and kitchenelf for the info. I surely will look for it with the cheese dept or would it be on the shelf since it is not refrigerated. I will probably have to ask to make sure I get the right cheese. Sounds really different. Evidently, you have a chance to really study the shelves. I feel always in such a hurry. Are your stores crowded when you go? Seems can't get a parking place on the lot when I go no matter what time. I have gone at 8 in the morning and was already getting lot of people. Should have more than one with that kind of business.

Back
Top Bottom