VA - Virginia Beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain G's has had it's ups and downs. For the prices, I think it is a bit much but you get a decent variety, but I feel like I HAVE to eat $30 worth of food to justify the price. As far as horror stories, I only have a few, and it was al back of the house related, and there is NO shortage of front of the house drama, but that is most places really.

For Breakfast, I would recommend either Beach Pub om 32nd, a dive to look at, but the food is great and the prices better, or Marys on 17th. Mary and Beach pub are both local faves, in business for MANY years.

For a good breakfast off the beaten path, Sunrise Cafe, off Great Neck Road. Good stuff all around and the service is great.

SOUTHERNCOOK1 said:
Speaking of Va. beach.......my husband and i are going there for the weekend in Oct.
We want to find a great steak and seafood restaurant I have heard horror stories about Capt.Georges... he wants buffet, but, it doesnt really matter to me.
Any suggestions on breakfast?
For steak & seafood, check out Alexander's on the Bay at Chick's Beach. Off the beaten path, locals' favorite, but not cheap :)

I hear good things about the Jewish Mother for breakfast, although I haven't been there since I live in Portsmouth and hate the traffic at the Beach.

However, I eat dinner out almost every Wednesday with friends, in Ghent, downtown Norfolk, or downtown Portsmouth, so if anyone is interested in a meal around here, let me know.

Last edited:
the jewish mother is good for any meal ...
and marys is fantastic for breakfast ...
captain gs is good .. even better if you go during football season
and go to the sports bar next door .. order the buffet in there .. and eat all
day ..

Dancer in the kitchen said:
We ended up going to Mahi Mahs. I've heard so much about it & never went there. Although we had an hour wait, the hostesses & service were friendly. And the food was pretty good too. I had flounder stuffed w/crabmeat in a lemon butter cream sauce w/fresh asparagus on a bed of rice. My DH had salmon stuffed w/crabmeat (don't remember the sides). They also have a sushi bar there, but out of respect for my DH, I refrained from ordering any. He calls it bait! :LOL: I'll have to go back with some friends & try that out! LUUV sushi!

I should take advantage of this great city I live in. The beach is only 15 minutes away! Ya don't realize how nice a place is until you here it from someone else. AND you can get all 4 seasons in one week! ;) Tuesday the high temp was 88. Tonight it dropped to 39. Never a dull moment!:)

We go to Mahi Mahs for happy hour all the time. Oysters,clams and wings for .35 a peice and make sure you go on Modays after season is over for half off sushi (yum yum)

SOUTHERNCOOK1 said:
Speaking of Va. beach.......my husband and i are going there for the weekend in Oct.
We want to find a great steak and seafood restaurant I have heard horror stories about Capt.Georges... he wants buffet, but, it doesnt really matter to me.
Any suggestions on breakfast?

My family has enjoyed the buffet a few times. Many,many choices. We go on Sundays in football season now because they opened a sports bar connected to the restaurant. So you can watch football, drink beer and eat and eat. Depending on what table you sit at you have to spend a certain amount a table but that's not a problem. I'm looking forward to football season!

Not VB and not quite Ghent, but...

Garlic,

If you haven't tried them, give Luna Maya (2000 Colonial Ave) a shot. The sisters, Karla and Vivian, originally opened on Aragona Blvd in VB back in the mid-late 90s when I still lived there. I was pretty much a fixture when I was sous chef of Zia Marie's in Chicks Beach.

Anyway, try 'em. They ROCK! Tell 'em Steve who used to work at Zia's said hi.

Ciao,

Steve A said:
Garlic,

If you haven't tried them, give Luna Maya (2000 Colonial Ave) a shot. The sisters, Karla and Vivian, originally opened on Aragona Blvd in VB back in the mid-late 90s when I still lived there. I was pretty much a fixture when I was sous chef of Zia Marie's in Chicks Beach.

Anyway, try 'em. They ROCK! Tell 'em Steve who used to work at Zia's said hi.

Ciao,

Thanks, I will, next time I go :) I love their beef tamales. There aren't many places we haven't been to yet. Several of the restaurants in Ghent have been doing a $18 three-course dinner on Wednesdays during the summer, through August - that's been fun. The most memorable so far was the tempura-fried lobster tail with raspberry cream and chocolate mousse for dessert at The New Belmont.

Check out my buddies, Bobby H of Bobby Wood, and Todd Jurich. GREAT stuff, consistently. bobby used to be one of my waiters, and Todd and I used to do the Star Chefs March Of Dimes benefits together, back when I was with Brennans.

TATTRAT said:
Check out my buddies, Bobby H of Bobby Wood, and Todd Jurich. GREAT stuff, consistently. bobby used to be one of my waiters, and Todd and I used to do the Star Chefs March Of Dimes benefits together, back when I was with Brennans.

Not sure if this was meant for me :) but I *LOVE* Todd Jurich's. I haven't been to Bobbywood since he moved to downtown Norfolk - it's just so expensive - but I know the food is very good. DH and I ate there once when it was up near Ward's Corner, and it was excellent.

Which restaurant is yours?

I had Wisteria, on Pleasure House Rd for some time. Then gave it up to go to hotels, I was with Landmark Management for the last 3 or so years running the Crowne Plaza VB, 2 restaurants(1 higher end, one casual) and banquet space for u to 800.

I am now on vacation, well have been for a month, go back to work in September in Hawaii.

I'm dragging this out of the cellar because I got a copy of Hampton Roads Magazine when I was in Newport News a bit ago. The Top 10 Hampton Roads Restaurants are:

1. Stove, The Restaurant, Portsmouth
2. Fat Canary, Williamsburg
3. Vintage Tavern, Suffolk
4. Vintage Kitchen, Norfolk
5. Eat, An American Bistro, VB
6. Create Bistro, Newport News
7. Bobbywood, Norfolk (there ya go, Tatt)
8. (tie) Luna Maya, Norfolk (tha'd be for me)
8. (tie) Terrapin, VB
9. (tie) Café Europa, Portsmouth
9. (tie) The Trellis, Williamsburg
10. Coastal Grill, VB

Blue Pete's in VB closed but my reopen with new owners.

Ciao,

Jerry is the real standout there, imo. Consistently one of the best with Coastal Grill. The Trellis too.

Luna Maya has sure come up in the world! Love that place!

Luna Maya is awesome .. going to Bobbywood next weekend after watching
bobby flay ...

Back
Top Bottom