Baba Ghanouj Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.mom

Senior Cook
36268-albums323-picture2632.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 large eggplant[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 cloves garlic, mashed[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]3 tablespoons raw Tahini[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot] Juice of 1 fresh lemon[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Fresh mint leaves for garnish[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Salt to taste[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Preparation:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Place the eggplant on a skillet and on low heat burn the eggplant.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Turn it from side to side for 1 hour until it is completely blackened[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Remove from heat and leave it to cool[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Peel the blackened crust of the eggplant by using a knife. Do not put it under tape water.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Place the peeled eggplant, mashed garlic, raw Tahini, lemon and salt in the blender.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Blend until you have a smooth thick paste.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Remove from the blender and place the salad in a medium sized bowl.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Add the extra virgin olive oil on top and garnish with mint leaves.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Refrigerate for 30 min. before serving[/FONT]

Last edited:
Sounds good. Personaly I just use oven. Bake the eggplant in the oven for about an hour. Proseed a s above. I just do not have time to stand in front of the stove for an hour.

That looks like my recipe, but I put the eggplant in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes, until it is completely soft. I let it cool and cut it in half and scoop out the "meat" and drain it for a few minutes.

It makes a great dip for tortilla chips, potato chips, pita, or strips of toast.

Last edited:
I pierce them (in the summer), then place them on the charcoal grill when I'm cooking something else, until the eggplant skin blackens. Wrap in foil, refrigerate and save for making the baba ganough the next day. Good extra flavor.

I pierce them (in the summer), then place them on the charcoal grill when I'm cooking something else, until the eggplant skin blackens. Wrap in foil, refrigerate and save for making the baba ganough the next day. Good extra flavor.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention piercing them. I'll have to try that on the hibachi when it warms up.

I do my eggplant on the BBQ...well, I had some on the BBQ one day and then had a vet emergency...I was 1/2 way to the vet clinic when I remembered that there were eggplant on the BBQ...I went to the vet and when I got home, the eggplant were very well done...best baba ghanoug I've ever made. I did worry the whole time I was at the clinic that the house would be on fire when I got back because the BBQ was on the deck and close to the house...fortunately, that didn't happen.

If you're going to make baba ghanoug, you probably will want to make pita bread. I make the dough for mine in my breadmachine and "soften" it in a brown paper bag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom