Better Than Croutons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are kind of international. It says "Product of France", then the description is in German and they use the word "snacks" in the German description. The pix are like Danish open faced sandwiches. :ROFLMAO:

I didn't even notice. I just did a Google image search and picked the one that looked most like what I'd used. Those remind me of our high school French teacher. She was German, so everyone who took french at good ole' Sault High learned French spoken in a German accent. :LOL:

Same here.

True story. In 2009, we had an exchange student from Spain stay with us over the summer. We eat a lot of salad variations, especially during the summer months. And that was fine with our live-in, as she seemed to enjoy them quite a bit.

One day Silvia saw me cutting up old bread heels to make croutons. She said, "I very much like the toast pieces you put in your salads. I must tell my mother about this invention."

I had to laugh and explain that France should probably get most of the credit. But I thought it was a little unusual that someone from that part of Europe wasn't familiar with croutons.
In my years in Spain I was often served croutons with gazpacho

The Pyrenees made a huge barrier between Spain and France for most of their histories. Then the communist, military rule of Franco deterred outside influence. They've only been a democratic country for 40 years.
Sorry, GG, but Franco was a violently anti-communist fascist and was still throwing communists (and practically anyone else he didn't like) into concentration camps long after the civil war.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom