Caesar Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Just what is supposed to be in it and its dressing ? It is like everyone has their own version.

T

There is often some question of what the original recipe consisted of. There are even conflicts on who the creator was. Was it an Italian guy in Mexico or an Italian woman in Europe?

One version is: Romaine lettuce dressed with lemon juice (or lime juice), olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, garlic, Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper.

Some say the original did not include anchovies.

So I'd say there is no one answer to your question.

I ditto Andy.

Go with any basic list that you find, make it several times and then adjust to your own tastes. It will still be Caesar Salad if that's what you want to call it.

Just what is supposed to be in it and its dressing ? It is like everyone has their own version.
T
This is the original recipe from Hotel Caesar's in Tijuana:

Ingredients

2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
6 canned anchovies*
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup good-quality olive oil
4 romaine hearts (36 leaves)
1/2 cup freshly grated Mexican queso añejo or other garnishing cheese such as Romano or Parmesan,

Instructions

In a very large bowl, mash the garlic into a paste using either the back of a fork or a wooden spatula. Add the anchovies and lime juice and mash them to a paste with the garlic.

Mix in the mustard, then the Worcestershire and finally the egg yolk. Slowly drizzle the olive oil in a thin stream into the base, whisking with the fork as you add it, until it comes together as a light dressing.

Pour half the dressing into a jar, cover and refrigerate. Add the romaine leaves to the remaining dressing and toss to coat.

Arrange 6 romaine leaves on each of the 6 chilled plates. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and garnish with toasted croutons.

* I use jarred anchovies in olive oil because you can take out six, seal the jar, and put it in the fridge for another day. Unless I am making a pizza, I wouldn't know what to do with the remaining canned anchovies.

Thanks. Now I got a handle on it. Stop by, I'll buy y'all a beer.

That dressing recipe seems like a mayo but with extras.

What do you think would happen if I were to try to just put thee ingredients except for the yolk and oil into mayonnaise ?

I admit it is cheating, but will it make anything good ?

T

Thanks. Now I got a handle on it. Stop by, I'll buy y'all a beer.

That dressing recipe seems like a mayo but with extras.

What do you think would happen if I were to try to just put thee ingredients except for the yolk and oil into mayonnaise ?

I admit it is cheating, but will it make anything good ?

T

That actually sounds like a good idea. I think it would be quite a bit thicker than Caesar salad. Maybe add some of the olive oil to help thin it a bit. The recipe uses about twice as much olive oil as I would use to make a one yolk mayonnaise. The lime juice and Worcestershire will also help thin it a bit. You don't want it too thin, but mayo is definitely far too thick This would also solve the "raw egg" dilemma.

That actually sounds like a good idea. I think it would be quite a bit thicker than Caesar salad. Maybe add some of the olive oil to help thin it a bit. The recipe uses about twice as much olive oil as I would use to make a one yolk mayonnaise. The lime juice and Worcestershire will also help thin it a bit. You don't want it too thin, but mayo is definitely far too thick This would also solve the "raw egg" dilemma.

oil will make mayo thicker, lemon juice will thin it but not enough before it becomes too acidic, if you wanted it creamy the easiest way is just add water, thats what most places do.

oil will make mayo thicker, lemon juice will thin it but not enough before it becomes too acidic, if you wanted it creamy the easiest way is just add water, thats what most places do.

Yes, olive oil will make mayo thicker, when it is whisked in. I often stir a bit of EVOO into a salad dressing, that is thicker than I want, that I made with mayo. I taste it first to decide what sort of flavour I want more of, before deciding how to thin it. I often use more than one liquid ingredient to thin a dressing I made. The various liquids each thin a bit. I specifically mentioned the lime juice because most store bought mayo is made with vinegar, rather than lemon or lime juice. I didn't mean that one should do all the thinning with lime juice, which should have been clear from my reply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom