Curly Endive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treklady

Cook
I belong to an Organic produce co-op. We get our produce delivered bi-weekly. This week we got curly endive, also known as chicory.

I hane no clue what to do with this green. I can make a mean salad, and I love to cook greens, but the heck do I do with this thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

One of my favorite salads is with curly endive. I just use evoo and a good red wine vinegar, add salt and pepper, then add in tomatoes,avocado and thin rings of red onion..The very dark green leaves are just a little bitter the more yellow sweet,and mild..It's the salad I love with a med. rare steak, sauteed mushrooms and some warm buttered Italian bread...I've also, cut off the stem end, seperated the leaves then droped it into boiling salted water, pull it out after about 1 min, drain well and mix in a little butter or evoo and crushed garlic and serve as a veggie..
kadesma:)

It's a wonderful salad green, particularly the blanched innards, when used in moderation, as it's somewhat bitter.

Your best bet is to use it in a mixed salad with milder lettuces & other ingredients. And because of the bitterness, it can definitely stand up to a strong dressing.

In fact, I'll be growing it in the garden for the first time this year, having had excellent results with Escarole last year, which I enjoy both in salads & for cooking.

Last edited:
My husband had told me that is was more on the bitter side. I don't mind that, but the others in the house may not be as open armed about this new green, so I shall be mixing them with others until we get used to this new flavor.

Thanks guys!!

Here's how escarola is used at about this time of year in the Sitges / Vilanova i la Geltrú area of Catalonia:

XATÓ DE SITGES

The salad is good but the sauce is delicious.

Edited: Sorry forgot to say that the link gives ingredients and instructions in Catalan and English. Keep reading till you get to the English bits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom