Do you wash pre-prepared salad greens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
When you buy roquette, mesclun, or just plain lettuce in the supermarket that is sold cut and washed in a bag with netural gas, do you wash it again at home?

Lazy me, I usually forgo this, but a friend said he always does.

Is there any risk not to do so?

Best regards,
Alex R.

Like you Alex, I am lazy and do not wash mine, but as SierraCook pointed out it is probably a good idea to wash them. I remember hearing stories of people getting very sick because they did not wash the bagged lettuce. I have heard pregnant women are especially at risk.

I pick through it because so often it is getting slimed by supermarket conditions ... near freezing in the back and showing condensation out on the cooler. Often I wash and dry it.

Nope.. I just drop it in the bowl and chomp away at it.

( Please don't tell my MIL, she uses SOAP to wash her veggies!!)

I don't wash it either. I used to wash the spinach in a bag, but now I can buy the "triple-washed" variety.

(PDS: so does her salad taste soapy?)

jkath said:
I don't wash it either. I used to wash the spinach in a bag, but now I can buy the "triple-washed" variety.

(PDS: so does her salad taste soapy?)

no.. she only washes the cukes and tomatoes with soap
and they rince off pretty well. :rolleyes:

I always wash it and spin it because you never know. But then I don't buy the pre-packaged and pre-washed stuff anyway. Most stores have some sort of mixed mesculin greens from some local farm. If your store does carry those, even though they will be a few dollars more, I'd recommend using that instead. Not only will they taste fresher, you'll be supporting the local farming industry as well.

I've seen many bags of 'mixed' or 'Italian' or 'Herb' salad for sale in our supermarkets. I've never tried any of them - I'm loathe to buy anything that needs to be freshly prepared when it is sold in 'ready made' bags.

Do they taste 'old'?

I don't think they taste old at all Ishbel. But, I do they they go bad quicker.

Thanks.

I'm too old-fashioned.... I prefer to buy what I need, rather than get it in a big, ready-prepared!

I tried the stuff a couple of times. I didn't re-wash it .... if there had been any slimey bits inside I probably would have. Personally, to my taste buds, they all taste like the plastic bag! My step-mom, on the other hand, loves them and doesn't notice the "off" taste that I do.

I can taste that plastic bag, too

At least, I think so.

My mark of a good restaurant these days is the taste of the salad greens, if they taste like plastic bag, doesn't impress me, don't order salad again. I try not to buy the pre-washed, pre-packaged greens, but if it's an emergency (e.g. guests arriving suddenly), I'll soak them in cold water with a bit of salt added, then spin dry.

Rethinking

My daughter's think I'm a pain in the a** when it comes to stuff like this, or, a snob. Next time, I'm not going to wash anything.

For myself, again, I am definitely not an advocate of the "Costco" greens as I like to call them. However, there are just going to be times that the fresh local greens are not available and/or the quality is not there if the weather has not been up to snuff.

The best thing that I can recommend to those that do have access to fresh local greens is to buy in small quantities like Ishbel suggested, and to buy what you like seperately (if available) and then mix it together at home. I like to use a mixture of arugula, mache, frisee, and peppercress. My tastes tend towards the stronger, bitter/spicy type of greens so I personally avoid more the more bland flavored lettuces/greens.

I rarely purchase the bagged salad greens, but when I do, I don't rinse them again. I pick through them tho', as I, too, think they go bad quickly. I've never noticed an off taste from the plastic bag they come in. For salad fixins, I generally will purchase a couple of different varieties of lettuce, wash & spin it at home, and then store in my fridge in a plastic bag. Thus, when fixing a salad, my own stuff is ready to go by the handfuls. It lasts longer than the prewashed/prepackaged stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom