E. Coli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people do not even know that there is an e coli problem. :ROFLMAO:

Does this e coli mean that they used the cow feces type fertilizer from diseased (mad cow disease) animals?

Does this e coli mean that they used the cow feces type fertilizer from diseased (mad cow disease) animals?

No, and this is a really mixed "metaphor" that shouldn't get started. E.coli bears NO relationship to mad cow.
They didn't use fertilizer--it was contaminated water (in other outbreaks) in the fields of greens that were near an animal producing farm.
Mad Cow Disease is virtually unknown in the US and comes from feeding animals feed that contains animal parts (brains and CNS parts)--which they should not have in the first place-- from diseased animals. This is illegal in the US for a number of years. I believe the very few MCD animals have been traced to being imported--mostly from Canada.
And I have not heard of an outbreak that was traced to the washing process of the greens--has been in the field contamination.

Candocook is right - the health of the animals involved really doesn't have bearing on the e-coli outbreaks.

Various strains of e-coli live in virtually all mammal feces - livestock, wild deer & pigs, & human feces included. Not all these strains cause illness, but obviously some do. Although I don't believe anything was absolutely positively pinpointed as the definite cause, the investigations with regards to the spinach outbreak tentatively traced the sometimes-fatal strain to possible water runoff from a neighboring cattle farm, even though there are apparently regulations in place as to legal distances to be kept between livestock & produce production.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom