Grilled romaine.. so yummy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did see it done on a grilling show on PBS, and at the time it did seem really weird to me. Until reading this thread that is... I'll have to try it sometime.

grilled romaine lettuce

I did the grilled romaine lettuce tonight. I rubbed the hearts of romaine in an evoo anchovy and garlic mixture. I then grated a lot of pecorino on top and actually did it under the broiler. Then I sprinkled freshly cracked pepper, sea salt and a squeeze on lemon. It was really good once you got used to the fact that the romaine was warm and wilted in some areas. Something that actually ended up adding to the flavor!!

axeldbljumps said:
This sounds spectacular! I am going to mention this to the chef I work for!:chef:

When we have it we usually have a balsamic vinaigrette with some thinly sliced red onions, thinly sliced cucumbers and some tomato slices - there's not a lot of "ingredients" - oh, and either feta cheese or blue cheese crumbles.

Just the other night I had some romain that was cooked in a wood-burning pizza oven. OMG - it had caesar dressing on it and was wonderful!

Yes, the "cooked" parts do add to the flavor. I can't wait until you grill it.

romaine sala

sounds even better! How did you present the plate? I kept romaine halves in tact and served one to each plate

Here's a pic of them grilling - You present them the same way I do - on a plate. They are easy to keep intact. I will just place the onions, tomatoes, and whatever on top and what falls off falls off. I will paint the plate with the vinaigrette and also serve with the salad. I have placed all the veggies and cheese that goes with this on the side in a pile or sometimes separately (in rows beside the lettuce like a cobb salad)

img_334091_0_4b1a50f0bdbcb10c326544b281bdd618.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom