How do you coleslaw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
There must be thousands of recipes/versions for coleslaw. What is your fav version?

I have a couple like Emeril's Maw Maws and Linda's (SILs aunt).

There must be thousands of recipes/versions for coleslaw. What is your fav version?

I have a couple like Emeril's Maw Maws and Linda's (SILs aunt).
i like it simple craig.i've got one of those julien attachment thingies for my mandolin so just white cabbage,carrot,onion,good quality ready made mayo,bit of single(light?)cream to loosen the mayo.that's it

There were two threads on coleslaw recently:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/joes-famous-coleslaw-18113.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/iso-suggestions-for-no-mayo-cole-slaw-please-79137.html

I personally like to add a bit of grated jalapeno to mine. I'm making coleslaw this weekend and am going to test drive my grandma's recipe (which I found in her cookbook binder--I'm at the farm and it is at home, it is different than any modern coleslaw recipes I've come across--will post the results).

I have the recipe for KFC slaw. Love the stuff.

KFC Cole Slaw
8 cups of finely diced cabbage
1/4 cup grated carrot
2 tbs. minced onions
Dressing:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 Best Foods or Helman’s mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
4 tsp. of plain white vinegar
4 tsp. of real lemon juice.
Mix all the dressing ingredients, and toss with the slaw. Refrigerate several hours, overnight is best. Keeps well, tossing occasionally.
:yum:

Last edited:
Classic is always good. Coleslaw with Mangos, bok choy slaw, zuchinni slaw, apple slaw with poppy seed dressing.

I have the recipe for KFC slaw. Love the stuff. :yum:
I have two copycat versions--one has Tabasco in it, the other does not. I think the secret is using buttermilk + Tabasco. I often use buttermilk when I make creamy coleslaw and homemade mayo. Does your recipe have Tabasco in it?

Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

I am not really a fan of coleslaw, as I do not use bottled mayonnaise nor do I care much for cabbage in this fashion however;

The closest, I prefer mine as follows:

French style fresh Green Beans in match sticks blanched and chilled a bit, Beetroot grated, navel orange, ginger and ali oli which is: Evoo & Garlic ...

Another can be made with Tropical fruit in match sticks: Mango, Red Onion, cilantro, ginger, Mint & Chili Pepper & Lime Vinaigrette ...

Have lovely wkend,
Thanks for posting some interesting alternatives to a classic;
Ciao, Margaux.

Does anyone blanch the cabbage first? I love coleslaw made with cabbage from the garden. Homegrown cabbage is so tender and much sweeter than the ones you can buy at the grocery store. Which reminds me, I have to grab a head of cabbage to my veggie basket.

I reckon this could start another whole discussion....but in these parts, if you ain't using Duke's mayonnaise, it just ain't mayonnaise..
It's a southern thing, I reckon. :LOL:

I will give that recipe a try, Addie.
Thanks!!
Don't rule out homemade mayo!:LOL:

I stand corrected! I was in no way disparaging homemade mayonnaise. I prefer it to most. But as far as commercial preparations go...I think it is a county law that we must use Duke's.....:LOL:

I reckon this could start another whole discussion....but in these parts, if you ain't using Duke's mayonnaise, it just ain't mayonnaise..
It's a southern thing, I reckon. :LOL:

I will give that recipe a try, Addie.
Thanks!!

I keep hearing that Blue Plate is the mayonnaise of choice in the south. Maybe it is a state by state thing.

I pretty much make cole slaw only when I make pulled pork ;) I think it's pretty traditional - mayo, cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, black pepper, salt and green onions. Refrigerate several hours to wilt the cabbage mix.

I've never heard of Blue Plate mayo. A quick Google search showed it's popular in New Orleans, so maybe it's a deep-south thing. I must admit, I grew up in Michigan and moved to Virginia after I got married, so I use Hellmann's :)

Last edited:
I must admit to not being a fan of "classic" coleslaw because of all the sugar and mayo it usually contains. But your recipe sounds good. I'll have to try that.

I made that slaw the other day and put it over cooked fine udon noodles...it was a great pasta salad.

My grandma's coleslaw recipe, which I'm going to give a test run tomorrow, includes 1/3 c melted butter added at the end and served immediately. I've never seen that in a coleslaw recipe before (any surprise my grandfather died of a heart attack)? I have a head of cabbage, carrots, and onions I brought home from the farm...maybe I'll do 1/2 of the head using the KFC copycat recipe and another batch using my grandmother's recipe. We'll see. Right now, I'm working on freezing a mountain of beans...and I do mean a mountain.

Back
Top Bottom