Japanese Ginger Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, i love sushi, and i love the japanese ginger salad they serve before they serve sushi. Does anyone a really good tradinitional japanese ginger salad recipe? thanks u guys!

If you mean the ginger dressing on a salad, this was given to me by the sushi chef at a Hibachi type restaurant; I've seen different variations on this, but this is pretty basic.

JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE DRESSING

½ cup oil
1/3 cup catsup
5T onion
3T minced ginger
3T celery
2tsp. lemon juice
3T Japanese rice vinegar
2tsp. lemon peel
4tsp. soy sauce
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¼ cup shredded carrot

Combine onion, celery, carrot, ginger, lemon peel in food processor and process to a puree; add oil a little at a time as needed; remove from processor, add everything else and mix.

Thanks marmalady, im suprised they use ketchup though. it seems a bit odd. Ill try it out. thanks :)

I think that would rock over top of some steamed veggies or even just some rice noodles :mrgreen: Have you tried it marmalady? If so what did you put it on?

do you mean pickled ginger? i make my own by slicing ginger as thin as i can get it, and then boiling some rice wine vinegar and an equal amount of sake, a bit of sugar and salt, add the ginger to the liquid, and put it in the fridge until it is pickly.

they also sell this stuff in jars, but i dont like to buy it because i am picky about preservatives.

marmalady i have a very similair dressing recipe that i use all the time that also has toasted sesame oil... i got mine from a friend who worked at a sushi restaraunt, i liked the dressing that the restaraunt served so much that i begged her for the recipe.

Yes, I've put a little sesame oil - not too much! in mine sometimes.

Ketchup - yes, it seems weird, but this is a fairly 'westernized' Japanese recipe, first developed by the Benihana guys when they opened the first hibachi style restaurants in the US. SO not a deeply 'traditional' style recipe. Japanese do love ketchup, tho, and mayo!
I've only used it with salads, but it would be great with cold noodles, or maybe some stir-fried green beans? Hamm, now you've got me going!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom