Making bean sprouts last longer in the fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like their texture.
Usually I grow them to make egg foo young. A good meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They can be put in chop suey--the traditional pork/celery/onion stewlike stir fry right at the end, served over rice.

Definitely a texture thing.

As Andy mentioned, I throw them in a stir fry at the end, so they warm up a but but still keep their crunchiness.

Also, when making egg rolls or mu shu, i do the same thing. kinda toss them in last minute.

In salads they are great, once again, for the texture. Other sprouts , such as anything cabbagy ( cabbage, kale, broccoli... even radishes) add a spicy peppery sensation to the salad, along with its own flavor.

Just for everyone's information, raw bean sprouts, especially homegrown, are one of the highest risk foods out there.

"Due to the high number of outbreaks, sprouts have been labeled as a “high risk” food. This means that people with compromised immune systems, such as children, elderly, pregnant women and those who are sick or taking medications that impair the immune system, should avoid eating sprouts... "

"The growing environment of the sprout supports an ideal growing environment for microorganisms. Sprouts require adequate moisture and warm temperatures (about 70°F) both of which create ideal conditions for the rapid growth of microorganisms. One study reported that the number of microorganisms on a sprouting seed can reach up to 1 billion within 2-3 days of the sprouting process. It does not take many cells of microorganisms to cause someone to become sick. For example, someone can consume just one cell of Salmonella or 10 to 100 cells of Escherichia coli (E. coli) and become sick with a foodborne illness."

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/f.../7-the-food-safety-of-sprouts-factsheets.html
I was going to post about the high risk re sprouts. If in three days you can't use them out, throw 'em out.

Back
Top Bottom