Molded Chef Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I was looking through some recipes in an old church cookbook, and found this one that looks very interesting:

Molded Chef's Salad

1 6oz pkg lemon jello
1 tsp salt
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cold water
3 tbls vinegar
1/8 tsp red pepper sauce
3/4 cup thin ham strips
3/4 cup thin American cheese strips
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 green and/or red pepper, julienned
1 small tomato cut in thin wedges

Disslove jello in hot water; add cold water, vinegar and pepper sauce. Chill until thickened. Fold in rest of ingredients. Pour in 5-cup mold. Chill until firm.

*Note: This is a recipe you could play with in all kinds of ways.

This is 'way too retro for me. I would guess you are quite young!! This recipe is NOT a good thing, in my opinion!! ;o)
If you do want a molded salad I can give you one for chicken salad, called in the South, "pressed chicken" and quite nice to serve for a luncheon.

Gretchen, this is not retro - it's classic Illinois fare, the home of the jello salad. Illinois church ladies and farm ladies can do amazing things with jello.

Thank you for guessing that I'm young, Gretchin. Actually, I'm the grandmother of 6.
If you will check out the unflavored gelatin thread, you'll see that I posted a recipe for a molded chicken aspic there today. But I'd love to see your recipe.

Thanks, Mudbug. Yes we can. Some of us even make Jello Shots. :LOL:

Maybe to all of it, but I will definitely pass on this salad "recipe"!! And I have had it.

Back
Top Bottom