Panzanella, Bread Salad is a typical salad combining standard Italian Local ingredients here in Puglia ... Here is the salad we shall share this evening ...
2 tblsps Evoo
2 garlic cloves flattened in Mortar with Pestle
3 slices firm Italian style Bread cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 tblsps Balsamic Modena
2 tblsps red onion chopped finely
1 1/2 tblsps chopped Italian flat parsley
2 tsps fresh lemon juice or blood orange juice
3/4 cup Evoo
salt and freshly ground rose, green and black peppercorns
1 cucumber seeded, peeled and sliced finely
1 large ripe red juicy tomato sliced finely
4 fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped
1 tsp drained and rinsed jarred capers
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1/2 tsp chopped fresh mint herb
14 kalamata black olives
1 head of lettuce of choice
4 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
1) preheat oven to 275 farenheit degrees
2) heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat
3) add garlic and sauté until golden brown 2 mins.
4) discard the garlic and add bread cubes and toss to coat in oil
5) transfer bread cubes to cookie sheet
6) bake until crisp about 30 mins.
7) cool and set croutons aside
1) combine vinegar, onion, parsley and lemon juice in small bowl
2) gradually, whisk in Evoo
3) season with salt and pepper
4) add the dressing & toss to coat
5) arrange lettuces on plates
6) mound salad atop the leaves
7) garnish with parsley
( *** photo to be taken this evening at Trattoria )
1) mix cucumber, tomato, basil, capers, oregano, & mint in large bowl
2) add the croutons and olives
3) add the dressing & toss to coat
4) arrange lettuces on plate and mound salad atop leaves
5) garnish with parsley
Have lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margaux Cintrano.