Recipe: Traditional Yellow Vegan Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froggythefrog

Senior Cook
This is a very basic recipe for a vegan potato salad. The only ingredient that is really different than a regular potato salad is the mayonnaise. This recipe calls for an egg-free mayonnaise so that the potato salad will be animal product free.

Ingredients
  • 2 large yellow or russet potatoes (yields approximately 4 cups of potato)
  • 1/2 medium yellow or sweet onion (yields approximately 1 cup of onion)
  • 1/3 cup Vegenaise, Nayonaise or other egg-free mayonnaise.
  • 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider or white vinegar

Directions
A little note on the potatoes: I don't usually peel my potatoes, but typically eat them with the skins intact. If you wish to peel your potatoes, you can peel them with a peeler while raw before boiling or they should peel very easily by hand after they've been boiled and chilled.
  1. Place potatoes in a pot and cover so that they have at least half an inch of water above them. Bring water to a hard boil and turn the heat down to medium or just low enough that the potatoes will not boil over. Put a lid on the pot.
  2. Once an hour has passed, poke the potatoes once with a fork. The fork should go into the potatoes very easily and the potatoes should be soft enough that the fork would rather pull back out than lift the potato. Once they are done, remove the potatoes from the water and chill until nice and cool. (Probably another hour. I just go do some nice long chores or watch a movie.)
  3. Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Mince the onion finely and toss in the bowl with the potatoes.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients, and toss the potatoes around to mix the mixture well until the sauce that the potatoes is in is a uniform off-yellow. Don't perform this step with hot potatoes -- the potatoes will absorb a lot of the mayonnaise and may break down while you're mixing them with the sauce.
  5. Place the potato salad in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours in order to allow the flavors to congeal. Serve when ready.

Back
Top Bottom