Salad modification ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised no one has mentioned radishes. Scrubbed and sliced thin, they add some nice flavor along with some mild heat. Go to the deli section and ask them to cut you a one inch slice of salami, or other cold cuts that your family likes. Cut into large dice. Along with mushrooms it provides the protein. You can also take some parm cheese and add curls. Make a salad bowl for each person by melting cheese in a non stick pan completely covering the bottom of the pan, remove when completely melted and quickly form over a cereal bowl. Peel a cucumber in stripes leaving a thin strip of skin, run a fork down the side all around, and slice thin. Pretty presentation.

Take a walk down the produce department and look at all the greens that are offered for a new selection. Cut or tear all your selections into bite size. Not small dice, but a size that will fit into the mouth with ease. You can put more than one dressing on the table for multiple choice. With veggies, some meat, dressing you have a full meal. :angel:

In the summer, I add pea greens and radish greens (young) to my salads, as well as nasturium leaves/flowers. Fried wontons, those chinese noodles (chow mein noodles?), pickled hot pepper rings...chopped jalapeno peppers...

I am missing the greens from the garden.

I forgot about a favorite we used to have a lot. I haven't made it in a long time. Iceberg lettuce, diced apples, diced dates, walnuts pieces with Waldorf salad dressing. It was the only salad my grandma ever served. It was really good though.

Sitting with the worst flu ever, almost thought the thread said "Self medication ideas needed"
No more meds for me lol!

I use baby leaf spinach, arugula (rocket), watercress, mustard greens and fresh herbs for greens.

Add sliced green apples, seedless grapes, radish slices, thin strips of carrot and beetroot, strips of green papaya, firm mango slices, cubes of watermelon or cantaloupe, cubes of pineapple, strawberries and pomegranate seeds.

Add cashew nuts, pine nuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, nasturtium flowers or leaves (they're nice and peppery), chopped pickles, anchovies, olives, capers, etc etc.

I like celery, but not in a garden salad.
Add olives, pitted black, and stuffed green. Add artichoke hearts quartered from the can, not previously marinated. Quartered hard-boiled eggs, radishes, however you like to cut them; whole if tiny, or quartered or sliced. Switch out the feta for small wedges of provolone. Get some very thinly sliced pepperoni or genoa salami and roll it up, fold in half and insert here and there.
Sprinkle salad after adding dressing with either shelled peppita seeds or fresh grated parmesan cheese. I have a hard time finding small whole beets-WITHOUT any kind of pickling. When I do, I stock up. Tiny ones are more tender. I drain the can, then cut in half to add to salads.
For dressing, I take an empty jar, add dried oregano, parsley, majorem, salt, ground black pepper, grated cheese, 1 finely, finely minced garlic clove, onion powder and just a smidge of gulden's mustard (it seems to bind the acids with the oil). Add red wine vinegar (1/3 ratio to the oil) and about 1-2 TBS. fresh lemon juice. (DO NOT add oil at this point.) And at this point I shake and shake the jar so the spices get infused with the acids and let it sit for about 30 minutes. If you add the oil before shaking, the flavors of the spices don't come out as much. They just kind of float in the oil. Add the oil of your choice, (I use light olive oil) and let sit at least 1 hour before using. Just before using, shake well again. I make a big jar and it lasts awhile in the fridge.
This "dressing" is also good on subs/hoggies, hot pasta with steamed veggies added, a marinade for shrimp, chicken, pork cutlets, or a nice piece of swordfish. Although for the marinade, I reduce the amount of vinegar and increase the amount of lemon juice to about 1/2 & 1/2 and still = 1/3 of the amount of oil used. Did that make sense?

Summer Veggie Salad
1 Small head of fresh broccoli (Raw)
1 Small head of fresh cauliflower (raw)
1 cup of frozen sweetcorn
1 cup of frozen peas
1 red bell pepper finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
1 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 cup of condensed milk
2 tsps of hot mustard
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into florets. Cover peas and corn with boiling water to defrost and drain. Mix Broccoli, cauliflower, peas, corn, onion and bell pepper in a large salad bowl.
Mix mayo, condensed milk, mustard, paprika and salt and pepper well and stir into veggie mix. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate till needed.

Small cubes of ham or cheese can be added as a variation.

Enjoy as a side for any meat or just serve with cold meats and fresh bread rolls :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom