Sauerkraut salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I couldn't decide where to post this so here goes.... My recipe for SS calls for rinsing & draining the sauerkraut but not cooking it. Will this wash away all the good enzymes in my SK? thanks much!

I couldn't decide where to post this so here goes.... My recipe for SS calls for rinsing & draining the sauerkraut but not cooking it. Will this wash away all the good enzymes in my SK? thanks much!

When you rinse sauerkraut you rinse away the sodium not the enzymes. Cold sauerkraut salad is wonderful. Would you post your recipe?
I like the sharp taste of saurekraut so I never rinse it.

Thanks for reply. I'll be glad to post the recipe but this is my first time to make it. I did not put as much sugar, vinegar & oil as the recipe called for. I'm adding those ing to suit my taste.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sauerkraut-Salad/Detail.aspx

tasted it after I got it mixed & it was good. After it sits in ref awhile I may add more vinegar. I don't have the balance of sour to sweet to my taste yet.

All the reviews I read on allrecipes.com thought there was way too much sugar, vinegar & oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make a sauerkraut pickle salad. There is a store by me that sells only pickled and marinated products ( pickles, peppers, eggplant ...) . What I do is buy some sauerkraut, sour, half sour and new pickles. I cut them all up, mix with the sauerkraut, and eat it while im watching television. Not sure it is something id serve, but i sure do love to eat it.

I don't care much for sauerkraut other then on a grilled reuben but that salad recipe sounds like it might taste pretty good. It's something i'll have to give a try.

Old German Recipe

Sauerkraut Salad

2 pound saurekraut(plastic bag) DO NOT DRAIN or RINSE
1/2 chopped green pepper
1/2 cup celery chopped
2 large onions chopped

Mix together 1/2 cup vinegar l cup oil l cup sugar

Pour this over the ingredients and mix well

Regrigerate at least 2 hours.

Will "keep" in refrigerator for several weeks.

This is an old recipe given to me by a neat German Lady. I do NOT make often. I prefer the fresh shredded cabbage recipe I have. (I have posted this one too). I like to eat healthy. Too much oil, too much sugar for me.

I remember when i was a kid, my father would take us to new york city. We would go to Gus's Pickles and get, what i think was called a " roll mop". It was sauerkraut, pickles, pickled peppers all rolled up in a pickled cabbage leaf. it was crazy-good. Id love to get my hands on one again to spark my memory

I'm not sure where my recipe is, but the kraut salad I used to make for my ex was just like Aria's except that it called for sugar. I guess you could just add it to taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom