Should I Refrigerate Salad Dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aunt Lisa, maybe you can try other salad dressing recipes that won't solidify in the fridge?

My dressing is usually evoo, vingegar, honey, S&P (sometimes with touch of Dijon). I've never had problems with it becoming solid in the fridge. It always stays liquid and very pourable. Plus the refrigeration gives it a desirable viscosity.

Olive oil will always solidify in the fridge. And I don't have a problem with microwaving it to room temp. It takes only a few seconds, though (a full minute is too much) AND you don't want it covered. It's easier if you just remember to take it out of the fridge an hour or so before dinner. It is funny how many things my mom never refridgerated (margarine, oil & vinegar type dressings, etc) and we somehow survived.

What I've started doing is putting my jar of homemade dressing in a pan of warm water to get it into liquid form. It only takes a minute or 2.

You may think I'm dumb but I have seen cilantro pop up sevaral times now and have just never heard of it, can anyone tell me what it is? I think I see it mostly in American recipes so could it be an American thing and as I am from Europe now living 'Down Under', have never been exposed to it?

Cilantro is also known as coriander. Does that help? It's used in a lot of Mexican cooking (it's the green leafy stuff in salsa) and it's also used in a lot of Vietnamese cooking. Here is a picture:
cilontro.jpg

The picture came from here and they also offer other suggestions for its use.

Also if you do a google search for "cilantro recipes" you will come up with a lot of good stuff!

Does this help?

Last edited:
Hey, you again, haha! Ooooh it's coriander! I know that, in fact I grow it in my herb pots on the balcony. I would never have guessed, goes to show you learn something every day!

lol - yea, it's me again 'cause I'm dumb enough to be up this late! And on that note I am going to bed - it's 3:17 AM here - don't ask why I'm up - it's a long, long story but this is the end for me!

Hope your salad turns out great - I love rocket! I will have to give your salad a try myself - thanks for your recipe!

Back
Top Bottom