Substitution for Lime Juice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
A friend of mine asked me for a suggestion for an easy southwestern-style salad. I suggested the recipe below, that I've made before and really like. However, she doesn't like lime juice and the recipe calls for the juice of an entire lime. Can you come up with any substitutions?

1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand at least 15 minutes for corn to fully defrost and flavors to combine, then toss and serve.

Does she like lemon juice? That would be the next closest flavor. It won't be quite the same, but it would still be good. If not lemon them have her try any other citrus juice (orange, pineapple, etc.). Again it will not be the same, but she just may stumble upon something that works well that she loves.

If she doesn't like lemon juice either, maybe try a splash of some sort of flavored vinegar? I think it would be a completely different flavor, but maybe she likes that kind of tang.

Thanks for the ideas so far! I just looked at an ingredient substitution list and while it didn't have lime on it, it did suggest substituting 1/2 tsp vinegar for every tsp lemon juice. Does that seems like an overpowering vinegar taste for something that calls for the juice of a whole lime?

I know she loves pineapple but I'm afraid that it might have too sweet and distinct of a flavor to go with rest of the ingredients.

Vinegar would be a great substitution. I would have her do it to taste. Start with a tablespoon or less and then add a teaspoon or so at a time until you hit the right amount.

Back
Top Bottom