Suggestions for a Pasta Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Seasonings Italian Salad Dressing, is that the one where you get one of their cruets
and pour in the mix, add vinegar to the line, add oil to the line and shake?
Yup!! You add oil, vinegar and water along with the packet and shake.

Then you will rinse off the starch that helps the sauce stick to the pasta. That same Italian TV chef said that Italian grannies save the pasta water, in case they need to add some to make the sauce stick.
Yes, Taxlady, Good Seasonings does come in an envelope, but you don't have to buy the cruet with it. If you don't want to use the packet, you may make your own dressing. I often do that. Also when using an oil/vinegar dressing, you should not rinse the pasta -- the pasta won't absorb the dressing as well. Put the dressing (oil/vinegar) on the hot pasta then refrigerate the pasta. While the pasta cools, prepare the other ingredients, like the carrots, red peppers, etc. Add the other ingredients after the pasta has cooled. You may have to add extra dressing or oil depending on how much of the dressing the pasta absorbs. The salad is always better the next day.

Yes, Taxlady, Good Seasonings does come in an envelope, but you don't have to buy the cruet with it. If you don't want to use the packet, you may make your own dressing. I often do that.

I was just curious. I always make salad dressings from scratch.*

*Okay, not completely from scratch. I use store bought mayo in some and prepared Dijon in others. And of course, I didn't create the universe ;)

Then you will rinse off the starch that helps the sauce stick to the pasta. That same Italian TV chef said that Italian grannies save the pasta water, in case they need to add some to make the sauce stick.

So you think the dressing would not stick if I rinse the pasta too much? I know about saving the pasta water but I only do that when I am cooking something like pasta and broccoli rabe or something like that. When I make pasta with marinara sauce I don't add any pasta water. Actually I don't rinse it or I rinse it slightly. However, for pasta salad it would be the dressing I would be putting on not sauce.

I have made pasta salad before but with that I have used olive oil, herbs, broccoli and black olives (in that case you are coating it with the olive oil so no problem). It came out delicious but it takes some time - you have to soak the bouquet garni in the olive oil overnight to infuse the flavor into it. I would make that but I don't have fresh herbs on hand. So, since I had the broccoli slaw on hand I was trying to think of recipes that would go with that which I agree would be the mayonnaise/yogurt dressing. So, using a mayonnaise/yogurt dressing is another story that I am not familiar with which is why I sound so confused. :)

So you think the dressing would not stick if I rinse the pasta too much? I know about saving the pasta water but I only do that when I am cooking something like pasta and broccoli rabe or something like that. When I make pasta with marinara sauce I don't add any pasta water. Actually I don't rinse it or I rinse it slightly. However, for pasta salad it would be the dressing I would be putting on not sauce.

I have made pasta salad before but with that I have used olive oil, herbs, broccoli and black olives (in that case you are coating it with the olive oil so no problem). It came out delicious but it takes some time - you have to soak the bouquet garni in the olive oil overnight to infuse the flavor into it. I would make that but I don't have fresh herbs on hand. So, since I had the broccoli slaw on hand I was trying to think of recipes that would go with that which I agree would be the mayonnaise/yogurt dressing. So, using a mayonnaise/yogurt dressing is another story that I am not familiar with which is why I sound so confused. :)

If it were me, I would not rinse the pasta at all. I would add some of the yoghurt to it and toss and add the rest of the dressing later.

Let us know how it works out.

I will. I will be making it tomorrow since it is for Tuesday. One thing no one mentioned was spices or seasonings to put in. I was thinking of some celery seed, sea salt and ground pepper. Is there any other seasoning or should I leave it at that. Sometimes when it comes to dressing I like to keep it simple.

Well the pasta salad came out good but I really made too much so I have leftover and I don't eat pasta. My BF is eating the leftovers, LOL.

If I were to make it again, I would make only one lb of pasta and I would mix all the ingredients besides the pasta together and put them into the pasta (which was already coated with dressing) at the same time so as not to stir too much which breaks some of the pasta. In this case I was adding things as I went along based on the taste and what I thought it needed. What I ended up putting in was:

2 lbs penne pasta (cooked)
1 (1 lb) bag of broccoli slaw (carrots were mixed in but not enough)
5 shredded carrots
2 large apples shredded
1 C of seedless green grapes - cut in half (approx.)
1 lb thick cut bacon cooked and broken into bits
6 oz chopped walnuts (approx.)

Dressing:

Mayo mixed with equal part of Non Fat Plain Yogurt, a half C of apple cider vinegar, a couple T of honey, celery seed, sea salt and pepper.

Last edited:
Glad it turned out so well for you. I've found that when I make any kind of pasta salad ahead of time, by the next day the dressing has disappeared totally into the pasta. I was going to suggest using twice the dressing you think you'll need, or not adding the dressing until the day you use it.
At any rate all's well that ends well. ;)

Glad it turned out so well for you. I've found that when I make any kind of pasta salad ahead of time, by the next day the dressing has disappeared totally into the pasta. I was going to suggest using twice the dressing you think you'll need, or not adding the dressing until the day you use it.
At any rate all's well that ends well. ;)

Actually, now that you mention it, that is the other thing I would do differently next time because the dressing did dissipate but it still tasted good. I really could not have mixed the dressing in just before because there was so much pasta it would have been impossible to mix it in there. I thought of making some more dressing but mixing it in would have been too difficult. Using twice the dressing might have worked but may also have soaked into the pasta, who knows. Like I said, next time I will only make a lb of pasta so that it will be easier to add in more dressing, etc. Two lbs was more than I needed anyway.

I picked up Apple oil a few weeks ago at the market.

I've never seen Apple oil! I'm intrigued and adding it to my ever growing list of things to keep my eyes open for! Does it have a distinct apple flavor? sweet-ish or tart or?

I would love to find a a tasty recipe for a green pasta salad with a little bit of sour taste to it. It is pretty difficult to explain it as I can only imagine it, but I'm not sure of what it should have or how it should be prepared. Any ideas?

What an interesting thread. Pasta salads are often pretty dreary and the ideas here sound really good. One thing I have discovered over the years is that tossing the hot, unrinsed pasta in a mix of the oil and the acid I intend to use as dressing, "non sticks" it, but allows me to fully dress it when it is cool and not likely to "cook" the fresh herbs or un-emulse a mayonnaise dressing.

cc's request for a "green pasta salad with a little bit of sour taste to it" reminded me of a dish i made a lot for a while: spinach pasta, with a lemon tarragon sauce. It sort of snuck up on a Bearnaise, without ever being so heavy. I served it hot, usually with a seafood, but once wonderfully with duck. Is that the sort of taste you are thinking about, cc?

What an interesting thread. Pasta salads are often pretty dreary and the ideas here sound really good. One thing I have discovered over the years is that tossing the hot, unrinsed pasta in a mix of the oil and the acid I intend to use as dressing, "non sticks" it, but allows me to fully dress it when it is cool and not likely to "cook" the fresh herbs or un-emulse a mayonnaise dressing.

cc's request for a "green pasta salad with a little bit of sour taste to it" reminded me of a dish i made a lot for a while: spinach pasta, with a lemon tarragon sauce. It sort of snuck up on a Bearnaise, without ever being so heavy. I served it hot, usually with a seafood, but once wonderfully with duck. Is that the sort of taste you are thinking about, cc?

Yes, this is pretty much what I had imagined and I'm sure I would love to serve it with seafood. I'm a seafood passionate :P

I've had Good Seasons cruets all my life, and always got them for free with a few packets of the seasoning. Every few years they have them that way and usually I pass them by because I already have one (bought the cruet package when I first moved here 10 years ago). I use this often. I use the seasoning packet as the basic seasoning for my hot artichoke dip as well. I have no problem with shortcuts like that, usually adding my own twist.

I've had Good Seasons cruets all my life, and always got them for free with a few packets of the seasoning. Every few years they have them that way and usually I pass them by because I already have one (bought the cruet package when I first moved here 10 years ago). I use this often. I use the seasoning packet as the basic seasoning for my hot artichoke dip as well. I have no problem with shortcuts like that, usually adding my own twist.

Do they still have those cruets in the supermarket. I used to have a few of them and went looking for one the other day and could not find it. I guess I threw them away. I don't really want the package dressing but would use the cruet to make my own dressing in.

Back
Top Bottom