Thai Cuke Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Here's my version of a Thai-style cucummber salad.
It's good when freshly made, but the flavors intensify after a day or two.

Ingredients:

3 English cucumbers
2 large scallions
1 Tbsp Himalayan pink salt
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsps dark brown sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 Tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Optional:
1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts

Peel 4 wide strips off of the cucumber so it looks kinda striped, then cut into halves lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Slice cleaned cukes into half moons, about 1/4" wide. Place cukes in a large colander in a larger bowl.

Chop scallions (both whites and crisp greens) into pucks and toss with the cukes.

Sprinkle with salt, tossing to coat. Spread the mixture around the colander and let sit for at least for 30 minutes to drain.

Pour salted cukes and scallions onto a kitchen towel and press to blot out moisture. Fold towel and pour into a bowl.

Combine white sugar, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. Stir to make sure the sugar dissolves. Add chopped cilantro leaves and stems.

Pour mixture over cukes and scallions, toss to coat.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add chopped, roasted peanuts just before serving for added crunch.

I made this this morning.
It is very good.
I didn't add oil.

I added some hot.
Delicious.

I like to eat something green before my oatmeal.

BT; that's a great looking recipe. It's copied, and pasted.

Noe comes the part that I'm famous for; Can't leave well enough alone. I have this intrinsic need to change recipes. Nothing against you, my brother. It's just a part of me.

I'm thinking some golden rains, and sunflower seeds would be a great addition to balance with all that savory flavor in your salad. Whatcha think?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I made this this morning.
It is very good.
I didn't add oil.

I added some hot.
Delicious.

I like to eat something green before my oatmeal.

bliss, I've added homegrown hot This Bird peppers to it with success. But I usually serve this with grilled chicken thighs and a spicy peanut satay dipping sauce, so I have to cut back the heat a bit for normal people, and balance.
And try it with the toasted sesame oil if you get the chance. It adds a little sumpin' sumpin', but a little goes a long way.

BT; that's a great looking recipe. It's copied, and pasted.

Noe comes the part that I'm famous for; Can't leave well enough alone. I have this intrinsic need to change recipes. Nothing against you, my brother. It's just a part of me.

I'm thinking some golden rains, and sunflower seeds would be a great addition to balance with all that savory flavor in your salad. Whatcha think?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I can see both of those additions working, no problem. Thai food is all about hitting those notes of sweet, sour, tangy, herby, spicy, and so on. The raisins might add little punches of sweetness. Maybe rehydrate them first?

I had the funniest thing happen.
I made smoked serrano pepper, ground up.
I used to make hot sauce.

Then, I asked my son, when you add the hot, did you stir it well.
He stirred it well.
I didn't.
I got a mouth of hot.

We're going to can some hot sauce with serrano.
When you put in hot sauce, it is liquid and not pepper powder. It oozes into your food and stirring is not as important.

I'm a five year old. Again.

Looks delicious - and yes, I´d agree with Bliss - it´s gotta have some hot chile peppers on it, even if they´re fairly mild green ones!

bucky, the toasted sesame seeds add a distinctive caramel flavor. Most people love that added.

bliss, I've added homegrown hot This Bird peppers to it with success. But I usually serve this with grilled chicken thighs and a spicy peanut satay dipping sauce, so I have to cut back the heat a bit for normal people, and balance.

Where did you find any, normal people? What state is it you live in? Have you ever known someone that is completely normal?

Most people are normal, normally.

I wanted to ask a normal person that question but I couldn't find one. I live in Wisconsin and we unthaw things, like our soil, in spring, but right now it is unthawed.

This is a great recipe, and reminds me of Sichuan Smashed Cucumber salad, which I make many times over the summer. It's so simple and cooling on a hot day. Very popular in restaurants here.

Smashing the cucumber cracks the skin and lets the seasoning get in. It also releases the seeds.

INGREDIENTS
About 2 pounds thin-skinned cucumbers like English or Persian (8 to 10 mini cucumbers, 4 medium- size or 2 large greenhouse)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for cucumbers
2 teaspoons granulated sugar, plus more for cucumbers
1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced or put through a press
Red pepper flakes, to taste
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)

PREPARATION
Step 1
Rinse cucumbers and pat dry. Cut crosswise into pieces about 4 inches long. Cut each piece in half lengthwise.
Step 2
On a work surface, place a piece of cucumber (or several) cut side down. Lay the blade of a large knife flat on top the cucumber and smash down lightly with your other hand. The skin will begin to crack, the flesh will break down and the seeds will separate. Repeat until the whole piece is smashed. Break or slice diagonally into bite-size pieces, leaving the seeds behind.
Step 3
Place the cucumber pieces in a strainer and toss with a big pinch of salt and a big pinch of sugar. Place a plastic bag filled with ice on top of the cucumbers to serve as a weight and place the strainer over a bowl (I just use cold water in a big ziplock bag). Let drain 15 to 30 minutes on the counter, or in the refrigerator until ready to serve, up to 4 hours.
Step 4
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine salt, sugar and rice vinegar. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in sesame oil and soy sauce.
Step 5
When ready to serve, shake cucumbers well to drain off any remaining liquid and transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with oil and toss. Add half the dressing, half the garlic and the red pepper flakes to taste, and toss. Keep adding dressing until cucumbers are well coated but not drowned. Taste and add more pepper flakes and garlic if needed. Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds.

Back
Top Bottom