TNT-Greens,bacon and bread salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I love this with a bowl of soup and extra bread to get the last of the dressing...
The dressing is thick almost like mayo...
you need to mix 2-Tab. Dijon
2-Tab.red wine vinegar
salt
1/2-c. peanut oil
Put mustard in a small bowl and whisk in the vinegar and salt to taste..Slowly add the oil til lightly blended...Set aside
In a large shallow bowl add about 5-6 cups of your favorite salad greens, I like butter lettuce,chicory,escarole,and curly endive..
Then take some slab bacon I use pancetta about 4 oz. and cubed, fry this don't get rid of the oil that comes from cooking the bacon ..Get the cubes of bacon starting to give of fat, add 2 large slices of country style bread that has been cubed to the pan continue cooking, stirring from time to time til bread and bacon are brown and crisp..Pour this over the greens along with about 4 cloves of thinly sliced garlic...Toss and serve with extra bread...
Enjoy,
kadesma:)

That sounds so yummy - thanks so much for sharing !! Love these kinds of salads. ;)

Is the sodium high like bacon in Pancetta? Have never used it

Last edited:
Sounds great! Does it have to be peanut oil?
Connie, I used it because I had some and wanted the mustard and bacon flavors undiluted with evoo..But I feel it's a matter of what tastes good to us and what we have on hand..I can't see running out for an oil we might not use again..So I'd say use what you like and have at hand..;)

kades

Oh YEAH!!!

I'm going to put some thinly sliced onion in there!

Thanks, kadesma!

Lee

That sounds so yummy - thanks so much for sharing !! Love these kinds of salads. ;)

Is the sodium high like bacon in Pancetta? Have never used it
I do to Barb, salads are a favorite around here.
To be honest, I'm not sure about the sodium Barb...I'll see what I can find out..I do know though that it doesn't taste salty like American bacon.
kadesma

I love this with a bowl of soup and extra bread to get the last of the dressing...
2-Tab.red wine vinegar
salt
1/2-c. peanut oil
Put mustard in a small bowl and whisk in the vinegar and salt to taste..Slowly add the oil til lightly blended...Set aside
In a large shallow bowl add about 5-6 cups of your favorite salad greens, I like butter lettuce,chicory,escarole,and curly endive..
Then take some slab bacon I use pancetta about 4 oz. and cubed, fry this don't get rid of the oil that comes from cooking the bacon ..Get the cubes of bacon starting to give of fat, add 2 large slices of country style bread that has been cubed to the pan continue cooking, stirring from time to time til bread and bacon are brown and crisp..Pour this over the greens along with about 4 cloves of thinly sliced garlic...Toss and serve with extra bread...
Enjoy,

this is one of my favorite things to eat in the world! Have you traveled in France? This is the ubiquitous bistro salad. It is SO good! :)

this is one of my favorite things to eat in the world! Have you traveled in France? This is the ubiquitous bistro salad. It is SO good! :)
No I've never left the USA, and now regret not doing so..So I live on the edge and try things with foods that I hear and see and smell...
kadesma

So I live on the edge and try things with foods that I hear and see and smell...
kadesma

(insert Emeril voice) I don't know where you get your food but where I get my food it don't talk :mrgreen: - sorry cj, the devil is in me ;)

This sounds awesome!!!!!!

2-Tab.red wine vinegar
salt
1/2-c. peanut oil
Enjoy,

That sounds absolutely wonderful. I'd prolly have to go with the smokey flavor of bacon though, pancetta is fine... but I just don't like it as much as bacon.

thanks kades! got this cut and pasted..

I do not plant lettuces, but I plan on trying this with spinach.
Hi Beth,
I hope you enjoy the recipe, we love it..Spinach sounds great..that's one great thing with a salad you can use about anything you want and have a wonderful thing.
kades:)

Back
Top Bottom