Vinegar in coleslaw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
smilineyes1 said:
do you have to use vinegar in when making coleslaw
Hi Smilineyes,
I think most people use vinegar in coleslaw..Since my mom really disliked anything tart, I started using rice vinegar..It is a little sweeter and not so tart to the mouth. But, I don't see why you couldn't make up a dressing without vinegar, then taste and add to it til you get a just right feeling about the dressing. My kids use to like grated cabbage,celery,carrots with mayo and some sugar and lemon juice..go figure:LOL: Add some raisins for them and they would clean out the bowl!!!

kadesma

I make an sweet coleslaw that includes vinegar. Its really yummy! Its different because a lot of places around here have a creamy dressing.

1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar.....I use cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp freshly cracked black pepper........maybe more or less to your taste.

In a saucepan add the above ingredients. I let it come to a boil and boil for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally. I do this to dissolve the sugar. I then pour it over the cabbage and mix it around to coat it all. I go back and mix it around about every 10 minutes for at least an hour.

I used to cut up my own cabbage and grate the carrots. However, now I just buy the bagged coleslaw and give it a good wash and let it drain.

I don't know if these terms still stand, but growing up, non-mayo vinegar-based coleslaws were always called "health salad".

And I have to admit that since moving down to Virginia I have become extremely fond of what they call "southern-style" coleslaw, which is mayo-based & does have some vinegar in it, but all the ingredients are very finely chopped - almost ground. It's wonderful for topping Sloppy Joe & other pulled barbecue type sandwiches.

Here is a wonderful boiled dressing for coleslaw. Try it...you wont be disappointed!

1 1/4 Cups White Vinegar
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 1/4 Tsps Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp Turmeric
1/2 Cup Water
1 Tsp Celery Seeds
1 Tsp Salt

Boil all together and I allow to reduce a little to concentrate flavours. Allow to cool ( we do not dress the slaw whilst dressing is hot) and add 1 cup oil.

This amount will dress the salad we use as follows..

6 Cups mixed Red and Green cabbage finely sliced
1 Red Onion finely diced ( or sustitute 1 Cup finely sliced spring onions/scallions)
2 Lge Carrots grated
1 Cup Chopped Parsley
1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1 Cup Corn Kernels ( canned or cooked fresh)

Toss together, and add dressing at least one hour before serving. Any slaw leftover will be perfectly edible the next day with dressing drained off.:)

For a creamy dressing, blitz a few cornichons, pearl onions and sundried tomato's in the processor and add to a commercial mayo. Add lemon juice etc to taste. Simple and nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom