What are the best and worst things to put on a salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
Tonight had a salad that hit most of my sore spots. Chick peas, pepperonis, artichoke. I don't think any salad should have these. However olives, avocado (American), garlic croutons, salami bits, pepperoncini, feta or cheddar, are all good toppings. Opinions?

Some of the things we like to top salad with are:

• Toasted pumpkin seeds
  • Chopped pecans
  • Thinly slice almond
  • Crumbled feta
  • Crumbled blue cheese
  • Chive flowers, but not too many
  • Honey fermented cranberries
  • Pieces of soft goat cheese
  • Curls of Parmigiano Regiano or Pecorino Romano

I'm sure I'll think of other things soon.

Some of the things we like to top salad with are:

• Toasted pumpkin seeds
  • Chopped pecans
  • Thinly slice almond
  • Crumbled feta
  • Crumbled blue cheese
  • Chive flowers, but not too many
  • Honey fermented cranberries
  • Pieces of soft goat cheese
  • Curls of Parmigiano Regiano or Pecorino Romano

I'm sure I'll think of other things soon.

It's a good list.

Some of my favorite things to put on salads are fresh herbs.

As much as I love fresh tomatoes, I'd rather have them on the side - definitely not on a salad with all that juice soaking the salad.

Some of my favorite things to put on salads are fresh herbs.

As much as I love fresh tomatoes, I'd rather have them on the side - definitely not on a salad with all that juice soaking the salad.

I like fresh herbs on salads too. I used to put them in the vinaigrette. But, since I started making vinaigrette in batches, I want the vinaigrette to still be good two weeks later, so I don't put any fresh herbs or fresh onion or garlic in the vinaigrette. I just put the fresh herbs on the salad. Sometimes when making that batch vinaigrette I include onion powder and garlic powder.

Often we'll make a fell salad.
Lettuce, onion, celery, tomato, cucumber, marinated artichoke hearts, greek olives and crumble a few felafel on top, along with some stuffed grape leaves.

Often we'll make a fell salad.
Lettuce, onion, celery, tomato, cucumber, marinated artichoke hearts, greek olives and crumble a few felafel on top, along with some stuffed grape leaves.

Not a fan of felafel at all even on its own. Never had stuffed grape leaves. What's that like? Looks like a log. In a salad?

Back
Top Bottom