What makes your cole slaw the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was actually going to start a thread, then I came across this one, so just adding to it.

Im no a big fan ( and never was) of Cole slaw. For me its the Mayonnaise. Not that I dont like the taste of it, but just the egg thing. Therefore, I never order it, nor do I pick at it when someone else gets it.

The other day, I got something from a food truck, that came with a side of slaw. I tasted it, and this was unusual when comparing it to other Cole slaws Ive tried ( and not liked) in the past. In addition to the usual ingredients, they had some shredded dill pickle and capers mixed in. there may have been a dab of mustard also but not sure if it was mustard or just the juice from the capers. Either way, I thought the addition of the capers and pickles was a nice choice and made me change my mind on Cole slaw.

I like apple cider vinegar with the mayo, celery seeds and our backyard honey in my coleslaw dressing. Pickles or capers would add a nice pop of tartness to it. I might try using my pickled red onions next time I make it.

Larry, you could make it with aioli to avoid the egg.

Wasabi coleslaw...

39817-albums933-picture5431.jpg
[/IMG]

I like creamy slaw. However, I love a wet, juicy slaw so much more. Here's how I make mine:
1 head green, or purple cabbage, grated
1 sweet, white onion, fine mince
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1/2 cup rains, softened in simmering water
Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, just enough to coat everything
2 tbs. suger
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup ice water and stir. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Taste and add more ice water as desired.

This slaw not only tastes great, but is refreshing as well. It can easily be altered by adding chopped walnuts, pecans, or macadamia nuts. A little lemon juice, or horseradish will also add flavor. This is a hot weather slaw. For me, it's my favorite. It goes well with all BBQ'd meats, corn on the cob, baked beans, and watermellon. Its sweet enough, yet tart enough to act as a counterpoint to oudoor foods.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North.

Not my best cole slaw, but quick and I like it better than most resto cole slaw. I thinly slice some cabbage and then cut the slices the other way, so they aren't too long. I put it in a bowl (or sometimes straight on my plate). I season with some salt and pepper. I add a splash of EVOO and some sprinkles of apple cider vinegar. Then I stir until the cabbage pieces are all evenly coated. Taste a piece and adjust any of those four ingredients. That's it, easy and tasty.

My SIL gave me a recipe for her Coleslaw many years ago.
I think it tastes exactly like KFC, at least the way it use to taste,
now, I don't care for anything on their menu.

Zippy's Fried Chicken and Mac Salad with copycat KFC Coleslaw.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

(file photo-Zippy's Brand Fried Chicken coating, copycat Zippy's brand Mac Salad & copycat KFC Coleslaw-delicious! Rivals any restaurant IMHO anyways.)

1 Green Pepper
1/2 C. Carrots
1/2 of a large head of green Cabbage
1/2 - 1tsp. each Celery Seeds & Mustard Seeds
1/2 of a large Onion
Best Foods Mayonnaise to taste

Chop all veggies in a Food Processor
Add as much Mayo as you like
Season with S&P

** Every good Hawaii cook using Best Foods, it's the best that's why :LOL:

Very basic and I make no claims for it being the best but I've always liked it. Had a friend who came from Israel and he really liked it.

Apple cider vinegar
Oil
Sugar
Shred up some onion and carrot
S&P

That's it. Always better the second day.

Simplicity for 50 years..

Shredded green cabbage, red if I have some
Shredded carrots, if I have them
Hellman's or Best Foods mayo
S&P

Ross

Growing up, we had an amazing place called "Burt's BBQ" that did an "angel hair" cut with pepper and a vinaigrette. Since then I have always replicated it.

My SIL gave me a recipe for her Coleslaw many years ago.
I think it tastes exactly like KFC, at least the way it use to taste,
now, I don't care for anything on their menu.

View attachment 38736

View attachment 38737

s
Add as much Mayo as you like
Season with S&P

** Every good Hawaii cook using Best Foods, it's the best that's why :LOL:
'lavor, texture, and refreshing goodness. Everyone I've served it to loves it. I brought it to a friend's house for a back yard BBQ. He looked at it and stated firmly that he didn't like a wet slaw, but liked his cole-slaw creamy. I suggested he tried it. He did and told me that it is now his go-to cole-slaw recipe.
Oh, and Best Foods Mayo is the same thing, made by the same company as Helman's Real Mayo. It just depends on which side of the Rockies you live on.
Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom