What’s your favourite salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PrincessFiona60 said:
I started making it without adding sour cream or mayo, which is how I had learned in the restaurant, I like the non-creamy better.

So is it just a standard vinagrette, with the addition of bleu cheese?

taxlady said:
What is the 'Mother Sauce of Mississippi'?

Is that UB's Comeback Sauce? He posted it awhile back.

Thanks, PF! I have a nice little chunk of bleu. Will give it a try!

Last edited:
One of my favorite salads I make often is Cabbage salad with Blue Cheese dressing. It can have something added like sliced apple or radish or a slice of onion, or just snipped green onion tops. Sliced tomato in season. Not all of these at any time, and Usually, it's just dressed cabbage. I add the dressing to the shredded cabbage just before serving. It doesn't marinate and the dressing doesn't draw the water from the cabbage as happens with cole slaw. I like cole slaw too as a salad.

My favorite is baby spinach with peeled and sectioned clementines, sliced strawberries and sunflower seeds. with a dressing made from oil, cider vinegar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Worcestershire sauce and chopped onion. Tastes good and feels like you're eating healthy.

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salad

Here is my favorite salad.

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salad
8 cups greens
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 green onions, sliced
2 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup salted Marcona almonds (Spanish, unpeeled almonds)
Juice of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey

Spread lettuce over a large platter. Top with strawberries, green onions, and almonds, then crumble the goat cheese over the salad. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, honey, and olive oil. Sprinkle salad with a pinch of salt & pepper then drizzle on the dressing and toss. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

Last edited by a moderator:
A favorite around the table for the holidays is a traditional waldorf salad made ith diced granny smith & red apples, diced/unpeeled, celery, walnuts, grapes & lightly tossed with whipped heavy whipping cream & a touch of sour cream & honey.

There used to be a chain when I lived in Hawaii called something like Monterrey Bay Cannery that made the best crab cobb salad. But, in fact, I just love salads, period and these all sound so good. I'm going to have to try to remember some of them. I cannot say I have a favorite. But that's pretty much me about almost everything. To much to love. I love a good salad nicoise, one thing I make often for dinner in the summer. I like my baby greens from the garden, but also like iceberg when I want some crunch, all kinds of cabbage, and spinach. In the winter I often use canned and/or pickled vegetables for some zest. I agree that there are some basic recipes that do well for changing seasonally.

Back
Top Bottom