What's your favorite salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have two favorite salads:
1. Caesar Salad with herbed croutons, and homemade Caesar dressing, and a side of ripe black olives, or Castelvetrano olives, or both
2. My juicy, tangy cole slaw

I used to love my multi-bean salad, but can no longer enjoy it due to dietary restrictions. It was savory, sweet, and tangy all at the same time, with the various beans adding their own flavor magic. think sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, dark red kidney beans, chickpeas, sliced raw onion, wax beans, green beans, butter beans, and great Northern beans, all ice cold after sitting in the fridge for three hours to let the flavors develop. So refreshing, and hearty.

Another favorite was my Mother's Sea Breeze Salad. And then there was potato salad, cold with chopped onion, celery, mayo, dill pickle relish, chunky, firm potato, mustard, salt and pepper, hard boiled egg,, and sometimes, a little diced ham.

Cherry, strawberry, lemon, and lime jello salads with fruit. Sliced stone fruit with peach jello.

There are more, but it's your turn.:)

I love a good old school wedge salad! A simple egg salad sandwich is something that I really enjoy. A good chicken salad sandwich can't be beat.

My favorite salads are those ones I make in the summer, with fresh tomatoes - the first one I make every year with just fresh basil, garlic (also freshly harvested about the same time), and some olive oil, with the drained pasta stirred into them. Later, more ingredients are added, but I always make this simple one first, as soon as I have 1 1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes. Later on, there are many lentil salads I make with the tomatoes, my favorites when the habanero peppers ripening.

So many good salads, it's hard to choose. But, recently we have been enjoying a green salad of young rainbow chard, sorrel, Boston or green crisp lettuce, thinly sliced carrot, and some kind of thinly sliced radish, usually black radish or daikon radish. Usually either with a homemade vinaigrette or my homemade blue cheese dressing. Once I can get decent cabbage again, there will be shredded cabbage in that salad too.

I think taco salads are my favorite salad, as it is served frequently for dinner. Unlike tacos, I like lettuce in larger pieces rather than shredded. Then spiced taco meat (chicken or ground beef) and then add everything else on top finished with salsa. I prefer taco chips on the side rather than a whole taco shell.

egg salad or tuna salad sammies are both terrific.

Dinner salads are more better with the addition of blue cheese. And slices of good garden ripe tomatoes.

Last edited:
At my job I ran a salad station for a while. Every once in a while we'd do a taco salad. It was different though. My executive chef wanted me to try it the way his mom made it. Basically toss the lettuce with house made thousand island, put in bowl and add the toppings. I thought that he was nuts when he suggested thousand island but it quickly became our most popular made-to-order salad. Something about the spiced meat, cheese and thousand island that was just crazy good!

At my job I ran a salad station for a while. Every once in a while we'd do a taco salad. It was different though. My executive chef wanted me to try it the way his mom made it. Basically toss the lettuce with house made thousand island, put in bowl and add the toppings. I thought that he was nuts when he suggested thousand island but it quickly became our most popular made-to-order salad. Something about the spiced meat, cheese and thousand island that was just crazy good!

A similar approach uses seasoned ground beef, added pinto beans, and Russian dressing that has had chili powder added to it. Tortilla chips are crumbled, and added to the salad, along with avocado cubes, Yum! This is a favorite in my home,

Seeeeya; Chif Longwind of the North

A similar approach uses seasoned ground beef, added pinto beans, and Russian dressing that has had chili powder added to it. Tortilla chips are crumbled, and added to the salad, along with avocado cubes, Yum! This is a favorite in my home,

Seeeeya; Chif Longwind of the North

I guess not as weird as I thought!

I think my fav is a really fresh mixed greens, with at least half spinach. With some kind of shrimp or crab meat. Chicken if no shrimp or crab is around. It has some fresh pears or apples and some fresh made candied nuts but candied with a good sea salt added. Some good blue cheese grumbles and a good fresh tasting vinaigrette. Prefer a good berry one.
I like bacon bits, but not on a salad with shrimp or crab. Best served with a good sandwich and a fresh made ice tea.

Just yummy

I think my fav is a really fresh mixed greens, with at least half spinach. With some kind of shrimp or crab meat. Chicken if no shrimp or crab is around. It has some fresh pears or apples and some fresh made candied nuts but candied with a good sea salt added. Some good blue cheese grumbles and a good fresh tasting vinaigrette. Prefer a good berry one.
I like bacon bits, but not on a salad with shrimp or crab. Best served with a good sandwich and a fresh made ice tea.

Just yummy

For your salad with chicken in it, take the chicken skin and fry to crispy-brow. Season it with salt. Let it cool, crnch it into bits, and sprinkle onto your salad. IMHO, this tastes better than bacon bits.

zseeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like pretty much all salads.

Just don't like creamy sauces. Prefer vinegar/oil based sauces.

Ranch, Blue cheese, etc. Ick.

I like pretty much all salads.

Just don't like creamy sauces. Prefer vinegar/oil based sauces.

Ranch, Blue cheese, etc. Ick.

Do you dislike blue cheese, when it's not in a dressing? Because, you can make blue cheese dressing by adding crumbled or grated blue cheese to vinaigrette and whisking until it's mostly dissolved. I rather like that version.

Our salads are big and hefty. Usually Romaine lettuce or whatever lettuce is coming out of the garden. Tomatoes. Broccoli cut very small. Choice of red, black, white, beans, or chickpeas. Cooked choice of white wheat, red wheat, rye, or barley. Choice of dill pickles or sweet sour pickles chopped. Peppers, red, yellow, orange, or green. I make about 4-6 lbs of salad and split it between 4 large bowls. Dressings are oil free, tomato based, or garlic/ginger/green.

I love a good wedge but my current favorite is arugula and slivered apples, dressed with balsamic. Simple, healthy and delicious.

Tuna salad... In the hoagie form with onions, lettuce and tomato.

But then again, I do love a pasta salad.....Rotini pasta with tomatoes, red onion, green olives, cauliflower and broccoli florets, diced ham. diced pepperoni and at least 3 kinds of cheese....All topped with a zesty Italian dressing.

In Minnesota the only time salads are good is in the summer when you can get fresh stuff from farmers market or grow yourself.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, green onions, and some dill. For dressing It's either sour cream and lemon juice, or mayo and vinegar, or some other combination of these. Seasoning to taste, whatever you like. I like it is simple, salt and little bit of black pepper.

The Cobb at Chick a filet with 2 avocado dressings.
Any salad at the Las Vegas Peppermill:
southwest-salad.jpg

Tuna salad... In the hoagie form with onions, lettuce and tomato.

But then again, I do love a pasta salad.....Rotini pasta with tomatoes, red onion, green olives, cauliflower and broccoli florets, diced ham. diced pepperoni and at least 3 kinds of cheese....All topped with a zesty Italian dressing.

Tuna pasta salad is also quite yummy.

I adore tuna salad on a soft onion roll with thin sliced red onion. Onion seems to be the theme there. As my aunts used to say when they saw me doing that: "I hope you don't have a hot date tonight!":ROFLMAO:
I married someone who adores onion as much as I do. :)

Back
Top Bottom