Your Macaroni Salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we had an abundant supply (200-300 per season) of spiny lobster, one of the many dishes we created to use it up was in a mac salad using little shells. The tails were steamed using Old Bay (shrimp recipe) and chunked. No real recipe though.

2-3 chunked spiny lobster tails
1 pound of little shell pasta, cooked, ice water bath and drained
2-3 stalks celery, finely diced
1 small white onion, finely diced
Mayo
Milk
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste

Mix mayo, milk, salt and pepper to get a good dressing consistency and taste. Add the other ingredients and mix well to combine. Thin or thicken dressing if needed. Refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors meld. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with your favorite crackers.:yum:

The ratio of lobster to pasta was about 2:1.

Last edited:
View attachment 30718

I'm sure that alot of you folks know that in Hawaii, we LOVE our Mac Salad!
This my rendition that I've developed of our style of Macaroni Salad.

1/4 lb. Elbow Macaroni, cooked past al dente, so that they are fat and soft
1/2 C. Best Foods Mayonnaise (or Hellmann’s if you’re in the East, no substitutions please)
1/2 Tbsp. prepared Mustard (I used Dijon ’cause that’s what I had in the ‘fridge)
1 Tbsp. White Onion, finely grated, juice and pulp (I use a microplane)
2 Tbsp. Carrot, finely grated
2 Tbsp. Celery, finely diced
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used about 1/8 tsp of each)
Combine all ingredients but the Macaroni in a large mixing bowl.

View attachment 30719

... adding Tuna Salad to your Mac Salad is so very local too! (and inexpensive ;))

View attachment 30720

MMM!
I like mine with chopped Black Olives as well as a bunch of other goodies,
like (more) diced Celery, Green Onions, Sweet Onions, Dill Pickle Relish, dried Dill Weed, a good pinch of Cayenne and granulated Garlic.

Imagine that, somebody from Hawaii who eats macaroni salad. :ohmy:

Isn't it in your DNA? Macaroni salad for breakfast, lunch and dinner? :LOL:

CD

Imagine that, somebody from Hawaii who eats macaroni salad. :ohmy:

Isn't it in your DNA? Macaroni salad for breakfast, lunch and dinner? :LOL:

CD

Actually Casey, most, but certainly not all, folks in Hawaii eat steamed white (or brown if your doctor is on your case)
rice with each meal and yes even for breakfast.
You haven't read very many of my posts, have you ;) :rolleyes::LOL: I must have posted a ga-gillion pics of my plate with rice on it …

and mac salad, as we say back home, is a dish that I make very rarely, mostly because I'd eat the entire thing in one crack!!! :yum:

Here’s the recipe for what I thought was a Hawaiian Mac Salad

1 cup elbow macaroni

2 tbsp cider vinegar

1/2 cup mayonnaise I like Kewpie, the Japanese mayonnaise.
1/2 cup whole milk

1 tsp brown sugar

3/4 tsp kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1 tbsp grated yellow onion

2 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced

1/4 cup diced cooked ham (substitute seafood, if you like
)
1 carrot, shredded

1 rib celery, diced

Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, reduce heat slightly and cook for 15 minutes, or until very soft. Drain the pasta, return it to the pan, add the vinegar and toss . Let rest while you make the dressing. Mix together the mayo, milk, sugar, salt, allspice, and grated onion, and whisk to combine. Pour half the dressing over the pasta and mix well. When the salad has cooled, add the rest of the dressing, the ham, carrots, and celery, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

It’s a little ingredient-intensive, but the vinegar and the Kewpie mayo freshen it and add the umami of the Kewpie. There’s a lot of MSG in it, though, so if you're prone to Chinese Restaurant Syndrome, Best Foods (or Helmann’s, in the East) seems to be the winner, hands down!

I love the additions you mentioned, especially the tuna and the olives. And I’m thinking that the mustard in your recipe is a perfect way to both give the iconic tang and also give the salad a lovely yellow color.

Hmm, maybe I’ll splurge on a really good can of sockeye salmon (or just a nice salmon fillet; about the same price!), which appeals to me more than tuna.

Thanks for the ideas!

JJ, I love Kewpie Mayo, the thing is it's so dang expensive here in the middle of the desert (I have to order it on line) that I try to reserve it for a "finishing sauce" rather than a main ingredient.
I find that using Best Foods, is the way to go for us.
Not a fan of the addition of vinegar though ... just sayin' :cool:

JJ, I love Kewpie Mayo, the thing is it's so dang expensive here in the middle of the desert (I have to order it on line) that I try to reserve it for a "finishing sauce" rather than a main ingredient.
I find that using Best Foods, is the way to go for us.
Not a fan of the addition of vinegar though ... just sayin' :cool:
I found Kewpie on the shelf at Walmart a few months ago! I don’t remember the price, whether it was in the condiment or the int’l aisle, or if they still carry it, but there it was that day.

I love the mayo, use it in everything, but the little baby creeps me out just a little!

pasta of mood at the time. (shells, elbows, spirals, ziti )
hard boiled eggs
celery
carrots
green or red or a mixture of peppers what ever I have
onion
sometimes cucumber
sometime sliced radishes
most of the time green olives with the pimento , plus little of the juice.
sometimes black olives.
salt pepper
Mayo

I found Kewpie on the shelf at Walmart a few months ago! I don’t remember the price, whether it was in the condiment or the int’l aisle, or if they still carry it, but there it was that day.

I love the mayo, use it in everything, but the little baby creeps me out just a little!

Haaa...I thought it was just me Joel. The "Kewpie baby" together with the squishy container is a little bizarre.

Like Kgirl, I only use it as a finishing mayo because of the cost. Best Foods is used in bulk around here.

I've been looking for kewpie but haven't been able to find it so looked for a sub and found https://food52.com/blog/15367-how-to-make-japanese-kewpie-mayo-at-home . Maybe one of you who knows what it actually tastes like can try and report back?
I haven’t tried making this, it might be worth a shot. Regardless of what the blogger says though, if you omit the MSG, it’s just not gonna taste like Kewpie!

Kewpie is available on Amazon. It’s more expensive than regular mayo, but not prohibitive.

004.jpg

003.jpg

I take the sleeve off with the picture of that creepy baby, but yes that squish-ablity is a little weird, but makes a pretty design atop dishes as a final flurry.

I ordered my Kewpie Mayo online from Walmart and pick it up in the store.
We live in cowboyville, where any sort of Asian Ingredient is very hard to come by :LOL:

Actually Casey, most, but certainly not all, folks in Hawaii eat steamed white (or brown if your doctor is on your case)
rice with each meal and yes even for breakfast.
You haven't read very many of my posts, have you ;) :rolleyes::LOL: I must have posted a ga-gillion pics of my plate with rice on it …

and mac salad, as we say back home, is a dish that I make very rarely, mostly because I'd eat the entire thing in one crack!!! :yum:

Well, exxxcuuuuse me (Steve Martin mod). :LOL:

Would a "plate lunch" be a plate lunch without mac salad? I think not.

I actually like macaroni salad. I don't know why. It is a rather boring food, but I still like it.

I make it with cajun spices. I also like to toss in some canned tuna.

CD

View attachment 30806

View attachment 30807

I take the sleeve off with the picture of that creepy baby, but yes that squish-ablity is a little weird, but makes a pretty design atop dishes as a final flurry.

I ordered my Kewpie Mayo online from Walmart and pick it up in the store.
We live in cowboyville, where any sort of Asian Ingredient is very hard to come by :LOL:

I have looked in every grocery store near me, and have not found Kewpie Mayo. I guess, I'll need to order it online, If I want it. But, the thought of Mayo sitting in a hot UPS truck kind of scares me, just a bit.

CD

Well, exxxcuuuuse me (Steve Martin mod). :LOL:

Would a "plate lunch" be a plate lunch without mac salad? I think not.

I actually like macaroni salad. I don't know why. It is a rather boring food, but I still like it.

I make it with cajun spices. I also like to toss in some canned tuna.

CD

Hmmm ...
As a "local", I'd say, no.
So long as you get da rice, you good braddah :ROFLMAO:

Some "Roach Coachs" aka old thyme food trucks, didn't offer their plate lunch with mac salad, `cuz they neva have one ice box.
My Dad would seek out this one truck by Fisherman's Wharf,
`cuz they had mac salad!

Almost every place has been offering, at no extra charge, to sub the mac salad for tossed green; the dressing on it is something!
I can't describe it, "Japanese Salad Dressing" - like a cross between a miso and french dressing I suppose, but very tasty!!

And as to boring Mac Salad?

Have you tried it with "gravy all over"?

In Hawaii brown gravy is king, well next to mayo ;),
and whenever you order a plate lunch style dish,
they'll ask you "Gravy all over Auntie/Uncle?"

YES PLEASE!!

gravy all over.jpg

[Rainbow Drive In featured on Triple D-Boneless Chicken Plate, Two Scoop Rice, One Scoop Mac Salad and GRAVY ALL OVA BRADDAH - DA BEST!!]

The taste combo of the gravy and mayo is ... AAAAHHHH! #home !!! :heart:

(sorry-my local or Pidgin as they call it came out there :blush:)

I have looked in every grocery store near me, and have not found Kewpie Mayo. I guess, I'll need to order it online, If I want it. But, the thought of Mayo sitting in a hot UPS truck kind of scares me, just a bit.

CD
Check your local Walmart. I found some on the shelf at the one near me! (We do have a large Asian population here, though…)

Hmmm ...
As a "local", I'd say, no.
So long as you get da rice, you good braddah :ROFLMAO:

Some "Roach Coachs" aka old thyme food trucks, didn't offer their plate lunch with mac salad, `cuz they neva have one ice box.
My Dad would seek out this one truck by Fisherman's Wharf,
`cuz they had mac salad!

Almost every place has been offering, at no extra charge, to sub the mac salad for tossed green; the dressing on it is something!
I can't describe it, "Japanese Salad Dressing" - like a cross between a miso and french dressing I suppose, but very tasty!!

And as to boring Mac Salad?

Have you tried it with "gravy all over"?

In Hawaii brown gravy is king, well next to mayo ;),
and whenever you order a plate lunch style dish,
they'll ask you "Gravy all over Auntie/Uncle?"

Featured on Triple D-Boneless Chicken Plate, Two Scoop Rice, One Scoop Mac Salad and GRAVY ALL OVA BRADDAH - DA BEST!!]

The taste combo of the gravy and mayo is ... AAAAHHHH! #home !!! :heart:

(sorry-my local or Pidgin as they call it came out there :blush:)

I have a very active imagination, but mac salad covered in brown gravy is pushing the limits. I just can't imagine that being good... sober. Stoned, maybe. :ohmy::LOL:

CD

My Mom was ahead of her time, I guess. She would serve cauliflower only when she made a beef roast, because she liked it best with beef gravy on it. Actually, it's not bad that way!

I seen a few new ideas posted that I’ll keep in mind to give a try. I kinda always thought of Mac-salad as a blank canvas and the end result was what I happen to have at the time here at the house. :)
One thing I didn’t see mentioned yet that I like to add, is some quick ruff minced capers for a little bit of background twangy flavor. If I’m out I’ll ruff mince 10 or so green olives.

My Mom was ahead of her time, I guess. She would serve cauliflower only when she made a beef roast, because she liked it best with beef gravy on it. Actually, it's not bad that way!

It's the beef gravy, not the cauliflower that makes that dish. The two ingredients balance each other out. Beef gravy is fantastic and cauliflower is worthless. Put the two together and you get 'not bad'. That's the cauliflower pulling the gravy down to its level.

Back
Top Bottom