2018 Spring Holiday Plans/Menus (Passover & Easter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pashka! Russian Easter cheese pudding / mold

It sounds great, but way too much work for cheese paska. Mix the cheese and dried fruits, I would not add nuts, add an egg, a little bit of flour to compensate for the moisture in ricotta or cottage cheese, better yet use farmers cheese then you do not need to add anything, put in a foil loaf form/mold, the ones sold in every grocery store. Bake. Spray mold with oil and sprinkle with either flour or farina, so cheeses doesn't stick to it.

Last edited:
For Easter I don’t do a traditional meal because several of us don’t like ham.

Last couple of years I’ve just asked my daughters what they want and they usually ask for one of my recipes they really like. I think last year I made chicken Marsala.

For Easter I don’t do a traditional meal because several of us don’t like ham.

Last couple of years I’ve just asked my daughters what they want and they usually ask for one of my recipes they really like. I think last year I made chicken Marsala.

Love chicken Marsala. I think it is your recipe that i have been using ever since I joined this group. Thank you.

Egg, lots of eggs and toppings for lunch, for the family, my stomach cant handle boiled eggs. And in the evening we will have a Roasted chicken, with yorkies, roasties and all that jazz.

Easter is a holiday I leave the menu up to my daughters. One suggested lasagna, chicken marsala or dan dan noodles. the other suggested the same less the lasagna. So I settled on chicken marsala.

One question: What's a good veggie side dish to go with chicken marsala and pasta?

Well, there's always the ubiquitous salad, Andy. Maybe baby bibb type lettuces with roasted pear, frizzled prosciutto, feta cheese, pistachios? Fancy, yet still palatable to my BIL who likes plain-plain. :LOL:

Broccoli has always been my go-to veggie for things like chicken marsala with pasta, or beef stroganoff on noodles. I suppose asparagus or fresh peas would be good, too.

I would go with asparagus or haricot vert as a side.

This time of year the frozen extra fine whole green beans are sometimes better than the fresh.

Another vote for asparagrass. The ones in the stores here have been really nice lately. Very skinny, fresh, and tender. You barely need to cut the bottoms off if at all.

If not, what about broccoli rabe?

Oh I been told by chef to bend the asparagus lightly and it will snap where succulent part and the woody part meet.

I've heard that too, but it can be a real waste with some thicker asparagrass. They might snap almost half way up. You can often just cut a bit off, then gently peel the skin off the bottom to make them edible.

But these are so skinny that they are tender all the way from tip to bottom.

Thanks for your suggestions everybody. We settled on asparagus. Both daughters love it. It was never on the list because SIL hates it. He's on call for his job that weekend so our palates have slightly more in common.

Pizzagaina (Italian Easter Meat Pie) ready for the oven

meat_pie_unbaked_03314418_1_IMG_3846.jpg

meat_pie_unbaked_03314418_2_IMG_3854.jpg

meat_pie_unbaked_03314418_3_IMG_3858.jpg

The latest is that SIL will be coming to dinner so I'm adding broccoli as an additional veggie because he doesn't like asparagus.

It'll be chicken marsala with fettuccine and garlic bread.

Desserts will be tres leches cake, Armenian sugar cookies and a special dessert to surprise my eldest, a dessert made with ice cream sandwiches, Cool Whip, crushed Oreos and hot fudge.

Oh, almost forgot appetizers. Deviled eggs (of course!), mozzarella sticks and onion dip and chips.

Last edited:
Cheesecake

cheesecake_040118_IMG_3862.jpg

Cheesecake slice topped with cherry

cheesecake_slice_040118_IMG_3870.JPG

Meat Pie

meat_pie_040118_IMG_3867.jpg

Meat Pie slice

meat_pie_slice_040118_IMG_3877.JPG

Easter lunch:

Spinach Salad

easter_spinach_salad_040118_IMG_3882.jpg

Stuffed mushrooms

easter_stuffed_mushrooms_040118_IMG_3883.jpg

Stuffed artichokes

easter_stuffed_artichoke_040118_IMG_3887.jpg

We, Mom, Dad and I, had roasted ham, potato salad and asparagus sauteed in butter and bacon grease. I splashed lemon juice over my asparagus. I'm stuffed.

I was going to do a baked ham, but it just seemed too easy for a special day like today.

So, I went with a Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top... and spam.

CD

It was a really nice, relaxing, and special day here. Easter has always been my wife's favorite holiday, as it was her mom's appropriately (My mil was a very religious Catholic).

We just stayed home and relaxed; no relatives, or company to fuss over. Just sleep late, then late mass, then cook, laugh over the worst indoor egg hunt in history, and eat.

Attachments

• 0401181506g_HDR.jpg
    0401181506g_HDR.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 0401181511_HDR.jpg
    0401181511_HDR.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I didn't take any dinner photos, but we had sous vide leg o' lamb, roast root veggies, and green beans with marcona almonds. Appetizer was baked brie.

I did get a photo of dessert - sugar-free cheesecake with an almond crust and fresh strawberries. And a glass of some Cava I brought back from Spain.
QbS3TAS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom