250 guests event planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to stop this photo sharing somehow. Mine and my wife's phone are sharing pictures. It creates nothing but mess. i cannot find half of the pictures I took. Well, I'm going to try to post what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_4092.jpg
    IMG_4092.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4083.jpg
    IMG_4083.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4079.jpg
    IMG_4079.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 149
I really do not understand why all the pictures are upside down. And, as in the past , i cannot figure out how to change them. But mostly I am upset about the fact that the whole bunch of them is missing.

Ok, so little bit more details. When people first came in there were two tables with wine and store bought sushi. Salad bar did not go well. It is as if these people have never seen salad bar. We set a big bowl of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, mushrooms, crasins, sliced almonds, bell peppers, 3 different kinds of dressings. And also Russian beet salad, none of that went. People barely touched veggies.
Meat on the other hand flew of the table.
Right next to it we had 2 whole salmans, cut in the half because of room deficit, served on platters, people were just carving themselves as much as they wanted. That went well, I bet we could even had 3 of them.
I made 4 rib eye roasts, as I mention they were 60 pounds total. Took 2 hours and 15 minutes for all of them, same oven. They were so big that by the time the ends were already 135 the middle was still 115. I took them out when middle was 120. Worked out perfectly, there were plenty of whining characters who complain that it was too red, I showed the the ends and they were satisfied.
60 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast. I pound them a little bit just to ga the to the same thickness and then cut in the half, made it into perfect portions, were baked for about 20 minutes. Separately I julienned and then sauteed red onions, carrots, portobello mushrooms, bell peppers and zucchini. I know people in the past even here have told me that i am doing this wrong, but hey to each its own, right. I sauteed all the veggies in Italian dressing. chicken was served mixed with the veggies. Because of the liquid it made chicken even softer. We had 3 half tray (9x13) left.
The half of brontosaurus, weight 35 pounds, of questionable origin, I think it was uncut chuck, brisket and some other parts all together, that cooked very strangely, some of it was well done and falling apart, some was well done but was slicing nicely into decent servings, some of it was medium and even rare, and that's after 13 hours at 230 Deg, Fahrenheit. We decided to save it for the backup. In the end we did serve by the end and maybe 1/4 of it got eaten. Had very good flavor and was very tender. But that was almost at the end, when people started to leave. For the sides we had roasted potato, 50 pounds went like nothing ever happened. We had 4 full size aluminum trays of Persian rice (the same person who made the fish made that), we end up using almost 3 and endless supply of green beans most of it went. have to check with my wife how many. She was in charge of beans.

On the opposite end of the table (opposite of salad) we had hotdogs for kids.
There was a separate table with alcohol and desserts. There were condiments on the tables: pickles, olives, babaganush (eggplant salad sort of), mixed nuts and mineral and bottled water.
We counted 250 people give or take.

I'm still in pain, but it was definitely worse it. People loved it.

Thankyou everybody for suggestions.

It looks like it went great, Charlie! Nice job [emoji2] Sorry about your pictures. I saw that there was a photographer there. Can you get copies of his photos?

Whoa! Good for you, Charlie! What a massive task, glad it worked out!

Great job Charlie, I'm glad that it went well!

The bad news is that now you are a man with a reputation, everyone will call Charlie when they need to put on a banquet!!!

WOW, you are da man. What a lovely, beautiful, healthful, awesome dinner. You go Charlie.

Beautiful pics, Charlie! And what lovely table settings. :wub:

I had to chuckle at your 'brontosaurus' description of the big hunk of meat. :LOL:

Like Aunt Bea said, they're likely to call on you for future events since you did such a fantastic job! :chef:

Wow, they didn't touch the veggies/salad bar? :) What, were they like 8 years old or something? lol

Looks like you did a great job Charlie!!

I think the answer to the salad being ignored is a matter of plate room. Hungry people will often ignore it because it takes up too much room on the dinner plate. If there is a salad plate available, then one is trying to balance two plates in the buffet line.
If there's a next time, I'd just skip green salad.

Ok, so little bit more details. When people first came in there were two tables with wine and store bought sushi. Salad bar did not go well. It is as if these people have never seen salad bar. We set a big bowl of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, mushrooms, crasins, sliced almonds, bell peppers, 3 different kinds of dressings. And also Russian beet salad, none of that went. People barely touched veggies.
Meat on the other hand flew of the table.

Anytime I cook for a group of people (never as many as that, maybe 1/10 that amount), Im always in the background watching what they eat, what they don't eat, what they take yet leave over on their plate and finds its way to the garbage, whats complimented on, whats not even mentioned....

Last year I wanted to mix things up a bit, as i hate when its the same meal for the same occasion year after year... so i decided to make pierogi fried up with onions. It was a big hit, not one left over, and the compliments kept on coming. This year, same holiday, same group of people, I figured I'd repeat the pierogis since they were such a hit last year, and 3/4 of the tray was untouched... go figure.

Then there was the year my wife spent half a day boiling, pealing, cutting, scooping, stuffing a few dozen eggs to make deviled eggs ( for the first time in years) and the only one who ate them was my mom and my wife. My wife cursed the effort and will never make ( or probably eat) them again.

Its so hard to figure out people, and what they'll be in the mood for at any given time. Sure there are a few slam dunks, but all in all, its always the throw of the dice.

Anyway, I couldn't even imagine or comprehend taking on a challenge that big. I wouldn't know where to start. You did a great job, and its behind you now. Consider it a success , and for the few complainers, the hell with them, there are a few in every crowd. And , for whatever its worth, I would have loved the salad:LOL:

Well done!!

Well, how much simpler does it get? Salad bar, everything in front of you. All the ingredients, all the dressing. Don't understand.

They have to make choices. They came there to eat a good meal, not make choices. Of course the meat flew off the table. Meat can be very expensive. Get all of the freebie that you can.

Last edited:
We went to a concert at a local art gallery last year. Some folks brought stuff to eat. The most popular item was egg rolls from a local Chinese restaurant. The guy who brought them just kept going back to the restaurant for another tin foil pan of egg rolls every hour.

Well, how much simpler does it get? Salad bar, everything in front of you. All the ingredients, all the dressing. Don't understand.

What I meant was that you can either do a mixed salad with a few choices of dressing, or do a salad bar (all in) and hope it attracts folks.

With all of the other delicious stuff ou offered, who's going to waste space on their plate with "just salad". It depends on the crowd.

My wife's friends would eat loads of salad to appear healthy, then load up on fattening desserts.

Back
Top Bottom