25th Birthday Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelbear9114

Assistant Cook
HELP!! DH is turning 25 next month and I was just going to cater something simple but spent most of our money on Christmas presents instead, so now I'm cooking a buffet style meal for his whole family and some of his friends instead. (Most of which I have never fed before.) I need help on the menu.

I just want to do simple foods like that...I don't need to wow anyone just feed them.

Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Thanks bunches
~Angel

Anglebear,
give us an idea of how many people will be attending, what sort of foods his family prefer, do you want mainly hot foods,finger foods like sanwiches, soups, salads..We can work from there..
kadesma;)

I will be cooking for 20-25 (7 of them kids) so I want to be basic foods (preferably not messy as our house is decorated with light colors).

Hot foods for sure, maybe an easy salad, i definately want some sort of broccoli side dish (DH's favorite). The party will be at about 5 PM so I will have all day to cook.

I was thinking along the lines of one beef or pork entree and one poultry, but beyond that I need a muse.

I am thinking of baking some cookies to go along with the cake for desert (to be done the day before). I will be ordering the cake because while I can bake a lovely cake the decoration would probably make the children cry as I am not an artist. :)

If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks again
-Angel

Serve a mixed grill and empty the freezer.

hotdogs
hamburgers
kielbasa
chicken
pork chops
maybe a few steaks cut into 4oz portions

buns/mustard/mayo/bbq sauce
chips
baked beans
potato salad
and broccoli casserole

If impressing isn't a requirement, make casserole type dishes. Baked pasta (ziti, penne, etc.) is beyond simple, and you can interchange the pasta used. All that is needed is pasta, ground meat (beef, sausage, or whatever), marinara and cheese. If you have everything pre-made and mixed, just not baked, you can have a couple baking while already having a couple out for service.

HB has a good call too, with the grill bit. Maybe a bit chilly in Chicago unless you are a die hard, but even still, all of that can be cooked on an indoor grill.

We grilled in PA by shoveling the 2' snow off the grill and patio. We're hard core grillers so I don't think about people not doing it all year long. ;)

How about an Italian theme?

Anipasto platters are quick to make, can add meats, cheeses, artichoke hearts, olives (all kinds), gosh just walk around your supermarket (or better yet Italian grocery) and people love it. (Can always get some ideas on line.)

Can also serve a frittata, cut into slices.

Both easy to do and can easily be make in advance.

Salads, a broccoli salad maybe with roasted red peppers (cut into strips). Can make with a sexy looking pasta, maybe some Parmesan on top, and a nice dressing. Many other ingredients you could put in that would be great.

Then a regular green type salad, sparked up as you feel fit.

A white lasagna (keeping the carpets in mind).

And serve with a pork loin. Here maybe would go with a bit of a tomato base sauce, if you are willing.

Some nice bread, and I think it would work.

You have the dessert covered, but if you know an Italian bakery for the cake it would make the theme complete.

Just one idea. Sure it will all work out wonderfully.

Half Baked said:
We grilled in PA by shoveling the 2' snow off the grill and patio. We're hard core grillers so I don't think about people not doing it all year long. ;)

For sure. I've grilled here in MN with a sub zero wind chill. Forget the snow, it'll melt once the fire gets hot. Took a bit longer to get hot, but still was great! :chef:

Angelbear to serve cooked, warm food for a group of 25, at least for me, is a bit tough without the buffet trays to warm the food in.

Or unless you are doing things in slow cookers.

At least my experience.

So would probably go with a mixture of room temperature dishes and add one or two dishes you could heat and bring out hot at the last minute.

Just my take on things.

And you want to enjoy this party so I would plan and make ahead.

auntdot that is exactly what I am thinking. I can do some things in the oven. I have 2 slow cookers (one new for Christmas YAY!) and am not against making something(s) ahead and re-warming it come dinner time.

Here are some ideas that come to my mind:

baked chicken pieces
a baked pasta dish
Pulled Pork, or BBQ beef or sloppy joes in the crockpot
Baked bean dish in the crockpot
Mac and cheese
broccoli salad (broc, cheese, red onion, bacon with the sauce made out of mayo, redwine vinegar and sugar - great do ahead dish)
fresh fruit with a fruit dip

I could go on and on - I love to plan parties!

I suggest you write down everything that sounds good to you and then look at your list keeping in mind variety and avoiding last minute prep as much as possible. Then you can start crossing things off. Pretty soon you'll have a nice menu that works best for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom