70th Birthday Recipes for 300 people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelleybrown

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone.

I have my fathers 70th Birthday coming up (not to soon, but soon enough) and I am needed help. His birthday is 2 years away (15 March 2013), but would like to get things organised as there is also a possible holiday to organise prior to the occasion, so fianancially a lot of saving from my brothers and sisters for both the holiday and the birthday.

The family are expecting at least 300 people to attend the birthday so I am looking for a variety of 'recipes' for this special occasion.

The birthday will be during the later end of summer, but weather will still be reasonably warm, if not hot. I live in Gisborne New Zealand and the birthday will be held in Hastings, Hawkes Bay, both areas are very warm during March.

There will be many elderly people attending and therefore I must think about their digestive systems.

There will also be many children and grandchildren attending and therefore would like to also think of their needs too.

If you have any good ideas please help or email me some recipes.

Thanks all. Have a Great Day, Shelley.:)

Can you give us more information? Are you looking for main dishes along with appetizers/finger foods, salads, desserts, etc?

What kind of equip will you have?

A commercial kitchen?
A home kitchen?
Outdoor grills?

How many/size/type ovens?

What is in season there at that time? (foods)

Budget?

How much needs to be done in advance and how many hands will be helping cook?

I have the same questions about the venue, but can toss out an idea for these mega birthday (or anniversary) parties: divide up your food by decades. Ask your dad what his favorite food as a kid was; what he liked best when he was taking dates out to dinner; what was his favorite dish as a newly wed; ...and so forth. You can fluff this by researching what was popular in NZ (assuming that's where he was then) in each decade. Take it by tens forward and you can build in food that appeals to a variety of ages, without having it looked forced.

Thank you all for your responses.

'merster' - I am looking for anything, as I would like to have a good variety of foods to offer.

'4meandthem' - I will be using premises with a commercial kitchen, so equipment isnt a problem. The premises of which I will be using can cater upto 500 people at one given time.

As for the food, all foods are available during this time. Fishing season is at its peak time, vegetables are also flourishing. As for meat I have access to (my grandparents farm) mutton, beef and pork, so meat is also not a problem.

Last but not least 'Budget' we are working within a budget of $5,000.00, however savings into an account for this continues to grow, so although we have set a budget we are willing to go an extra 2,500.00.

I have a team of 20 people but can get more, so I'm hoping whatever recipes we go with a team will be delegated to that menu.

'NoraC' - Yes I have thought about that (decade food) and that is one of the options.

I would make about 1000 pieces of apps. Phyllo pockets can be made well ahead and frozen before baking.Shu mai can be made ahead and frozen before steaming.meatballs on skewers with tortallini might be good.bacon wrapped cheese stuffed dates are easy.Blue cheese mini biscuits.

Cornbread/tomatoe/basil/cheese with a lemon dressing makes a nice summer salad.

How about a carving station with beef/lamb/ham

Mashed potatoes and gravy
Roasted sweet potatoes and onions
Cous-cous salad
Pasta dish

Steamed green beens and other mixed veg.

A nice cake for the guest of honor and a couple sheet cakes for the masses.

I would probably try and keep the food kinda simple and familiar since you will be in a new kitchen with new help and if you don't do this often it will be a challange just to pull it off.

Just some thoughts.

'4meandthem'
Thank you for your suggestion. That does sound very good. Any chance of the recipe's for 'Phyllo Pockets' and 'Shu mai'.

I love the idea of a 'Carving Station'....Thanks for that. Will add that to the suggestive menu.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom