Can you freeze par-baked crescent rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I have another thread about my nephew's graduation party I'm cooking for.

I have some specific questions I thought I should post here. My first one... Can I "par bake" these Pillsbury crescent rolls, then freeze them, then finish baking them off the day before the party?

hmmmmm, Not sure about this but I do freeze pot pies b4 baking and the crust comes out fine. I'm thinking I would probably bake these all the way but maybe to a light color - now fully browned - and freeze.

You could always experiment on a can to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply. I can't really experiment here (we don't have it). I'm not going to be there until just over a week away from the party. I can experiment when I get there I guess. Thanks again!

Why?

Preparation for canned crescent rolls is about 5 minutes. You set the oven temperature, pop open the can, roll them up, and place them on a baking sheet. It takes longer to preheat the oven than it does to prepare the crescent rolls for baking.

You could easily make them the day before without any problem if you need your oven space and "sanity" the day of :chef:

Also, you might want to check the prices (also at the food warehouse) of pre-made crescents. This is just a suggestion - I know I've bought them but can't remember what the price was. They are larger so they could easily be cut in half first.

kitchenelf said:
You could easily make them the day before without any problem if you need your oven space and "sanity" the day of :chef:

Also, you might want to check the prices (also at the food warehouse) of pre-made crescents. This is just a suggestion - I know I've bought them but can't remember what the price was. They are larger so they could easily be cut in half first.
Yes, kitchen elf, it's because of the oven space. :) I am using them for a chicken salad and they're best when they are just out of the oven, I've been told. I didn't know if you could have them mostly ready the day before. I have a lot of things that need last minute attention (see my other thread).

Caine - I don't make these rolls, but my sister says that the directions say like 13 minutes. If I need to get chicken salad sandwiches out in a couple of minutes, I was thinking that the oven would "freshen them up" without needing to totally bake them. I'm cooking for 100 people and have 2 other hors d'oevres that require time in the oven. I'm doing this on my own in an "open house" set up. I won't have 13 mintues to get them out.

Last edited:
velo - I understand the "fresh" factor but it's really not conceivable with everything else going on. Even if you bake them the day before - let them cool COMPLETELY, and seal them in plastic bags they will still be fine. They can even be popped into the microwave in the bags (unsealed of course) for a brief period of time to soften them up.

I assume this is for the Chicken Salad on Crescent Rolls?

Personally, I wouldn't do them that way because in the long run it will take longer. I would fully bake, cool, and then bag 'em ... up to a couple of days in advance. Then on the day of the event, slice them in half, smear on the chicken salad, and serve.

kitchenelf brought up a good point - you might check around for bulk prices from both real bakeries and grocery store bakeries for fully baked croissants ... the savings in time and energy (your own and the fuel source for the oven) might be worth any difference in price over trying to bake can after can of canned crescent rolls.

Limited as it seems you will be to just one oven - there is just so much you can do.

Last edited:
Okay, I said in my other thread I'm off to bed, and I really am, but dh is watching some dumb German police show and it's keeping me awake. :)

So, should I abandon the thought of doing these crescent rolls that my nephew loves? Should I just try to do croissant or tea bread? I can ask sis about it.

Since you don't have crescent rolls there just know that a crescent and a croissant are shaped the same. The crescent is more of a "roll" texture and the croissant - well, you know what that is. I think you will do just fine if these are made a day ahead and popped in the microwave for just a moment.

You mentioned you are cooking for 100, yes? The crescent rolls come about six to a tube/package. This will be a tedious job to have the rolls hot & make ahead or day of. The rolls don't need to be hot or warm to be good for the chicken salad. Croissants are buttery/flaky delish - warm or cold; and you might be able to find them at a bakery in your area that will give you a good price - in bulk, by calling around ahead. If this to be served as an appy, you can slice the filled croissants in half, or go with mini Hawaiian rolls.

Another thought - make chicken salad tea sandwiches. Make the chicken salad ahead - trim the crusts from white bread (if you wish), cut in half, cover and refrigerate on the serving platter you will be using - a day ahead.

I think the idea here is her nephew LOVES crescent rolls - so, here's my suggestion - make about 3 tubes for his use only (or however many he wants including leftovers) and use croissants for the rest!

If you have a warehouse store (like Sam's) anywhere close, it would be worth a trip to buy your crescent rolls. They have both large and small in bulk, and taste a lot better than the Pillsbury canned ones.
Or, go the bakery route. Please don't try to bake all those yourself! You will have enough to do with slicing and filling them.

Last edited:
Purchasing at Sam's could be a bit problematic for velochic because she's in Germany. However, I see Sam's does have some presence in Germany. Don't know if that's of any use to velochic because it would depend on what that store offers and how close she would be to one. I haven't investigated the possibility of Costco being in Germany, which would be another source for bulk items.

Katie E said:
Purchasing at Sam's could be a bit problematic for velochic because she's in Germany. However, I see Sam's does have some presence in Germany. Don't know if that's of any use to velochic because it would depend on what that store offers and how close she would be to one. I haven't investigated the possibility of Costco being in Germany, which would be another source for bulk items.

If I'm not mistaken she's cooking here in the US though. :chef: Going to check that other thread now.

Edited to say: I think that she will be in the US.

My guess is that par baking and freezing those things (which I too love!) would make them dry out and possibly get hard. Just a guess though.

Count me in the "make them the day before" camp. I can't tell youhow many pigs in a blanket I've eaten several days afterward which were still pretty yummy.

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the comments. You are all such a help! I will have about 2 weeks to work on this stuff at my sister's. They have a Sam's Club membership. I'm not buying anything here. ;)

Yes, the crescent rolls are because they are BK's favorite with this chicken salad.

At this point, I'm really liking Kitchen Elf's idea about making some just for him and Mish's idea about finding someplace to buy the rest in bulk.

I'd be just as happy to do tea sandwiches. Thin bread, crusts off... it would be more elegant at least. :chef:

I do appreciate all the help. Keep the suggestions coming!

Back
Top Bottom