Canadian Thanksgiving eh!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurvivorGirl

Sous Chef
It's coming up (next weekend:wacko: - it's early this year)!
Can't wait! We're going up to our cottage again this year (have all my life), driving up there with all the colours and trees is beautiful. I hope that the lake is still a good temperature to swim in, I've been dying to go swimming and I'm not a fan of swimming pools.

What do you guys do for Thanksgiving (non-Canadians are included in this question:stuart: even though this is early for most of our members)?
Also, what sides does everyone have? I think that we need to switch it up from the usual:chef:

P.S...Sorry if this is in the wrong thread space.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I'll bet it will be a beautiful drive.

We have a very traditional Thanksgiving. I always used to do the dinner here, but my daughter has had it at her house the last few years.
For us, it's shrimp cocktail, roast turkey, giblet gravy, oyster dressing, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, corn casserole, green bean casserole, hot rolls, and a pies...apple crumb, pumpkin and cherry. I'm the only one in the family who will eat cranberry sauce, so I don't bother with it.

Alix?! Where are you on this one?

We began with a taste of Thanksgiving today roasting some pumpkin seeds and baking some fresh pumpkin pies. I'm in heaven just with the smell of pumpkin and spices.

We began with a taste of Thanksgiving today roasting some pumpkin seeds and baking some fresh pumpkin pies. I'm in heaven just with the smell of pumpkin and spices.
I've had roasted pumpkin seed once. I was on a school trip to this feild/wilderness/maple syrup place and they roasted some up from the pumpkins we were carving.
o my, they are good!:)

For us we always have pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, this year I may try making a roasted butternut squash pie (out the recent Canadian living). it looks mighty tasty!:chef: we'll make all the components here and then put it all together and bake up at the cottage.

I'm here Dina. And you know how I feel about pumpkin pie. Ick.

We do a turkey (brined), with a nice stuffing, usually I do whole oven roasted potatoes, but sometimes I'm forced to do mashed. I also do whatever veggies we have nice and fresh still from the garden. This year we will have some carrots, beans and likely still a zucchini to use up. I don't like to mess with them too much, usually just steam the beans and carrots and toss with butter and salt. I like to lightly fry my zucchini pieces, dust them with a bit of salt and a dash of soy sauce. I sometimes do a broccoli wild rice casserole to go with as well. My mom always used to insist upon mashed turnip but now that my great aunt isn't joining us for dinner anymore we don't have to do that. Dessert is usually pies. If I have to have pumpkin pie someone ELSE has to make it, otherwise its coming from the store fully prepared. Pumpkin just grosses me out. I have an apple pie in the freezer ready to bake that I might do, but more likely I will do a blueberry pie and maybe a rhubarb one too. Thats about it for us.

I'll be cooking on the Sunday rather than the Monday though, we like to just laze around on the Monday. My niece and her husband are coming to town that weekend and they will bring the new baby for Thanksgiving I hope. Now THATS something to be thankful for!

Sounds like your Thanksgivings will be wonderful this year! New babies are always a plus!!!!! SurvivorGirl - what a great tradition you have.

We'll be celebrating Sunday, we like to take it easy and eat leftovers on Monday.

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, various chutneys
Mashed potatoes and braised sweet potatoes
Carrots, leek and celery in vermouth
Sauteed brussell sprouts
Corn Pudding
Mashed turnips, might add some parsnip or squash to them
Pickled beets, onions, garlic etc

Pumpkin Pie, haven't decided what type of Bread Pudding yet, and something chocolately. I have a few bottles of Ice Wine I'd like to pair something with.

Then all I'll need is a blanket and pillow for the couch.:LOL:

Lorraine, there is a killer chocolate bourbon bread pudding somewhere on the site. I'll see if I can find it for you and give you the link. If I can't find it, I'll try to remember to type it out as I have it on hard copy upstairs. It is KILLER good. Do you have a recipe for corn pudding you would share?

...I sometimes do a broccoli wild rice casserole to go with as well....

Happy Thanksgiving in advance. Still early here to plan. Alix, would love your recipe for the broc/wild rice casserole - I'm envisioning some pine nuts in there. TIA. Have you tried the brownie pie?

Please do, share all your recipes with us. :chef:

CRAP! I forgot about the brownie pie!! Thanks for the reminder, thats one I'm going to do instead of one of the others. Lets see...how about the brownie pie, and pumpkin if I HAVE to, and blueberry if I don't? That sounds well rounded enough. Whipped cream works on all three of those too.

Look here for the broccoli wild rice casserole. I think the addition of toasted pine nuts would be wonderful! Especially on top maybe with some extra cheese?

CRAP! I forgot about the brownie pie!! Thanks for the reminder, thats one I'm going to do instead of one of the others. Lets see...how about the brownie pie, and pumpkin if I HAVE to, and blueberry if I don't? That sounds well rounded enough. Whipped cream works on all three of those too.

Look here for the broccoli wild rice casserole. I think the addition of toasted pine nuts would be wonderful! Especially on top maybe with some extra cheese?

Did someone say cheese?! Count me in. This sounds/looks tasty... & real comfort food. Thanks Alix. Copied and saved. If you really don't like pumpkin, I'd skip it -- unless your having a bunch of folks that love PP. It's sort of traditional here - but I could take it or leave it. I do like it though - once a year. I would make one pie you like and pumpkin or a traditional (pecan whatever) for the guests. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

I would make one pie you like and pumpkin or a traditional (pecan whatever) for the guests. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

I can assure you that if anyone wants pumpkin pie at Alix's house they better bring it - the girl "ain't" gonna be cookin' one! :LOL:

" chocolate bourbon bread pudding "

Well now, I could kill two birds with one stone if I made that!!!! :) I'll post the corn pudding tomorrow. It's really good. Makes me feel like a southerner. LOL The brocolli wild rice looks great, but I think I'll have enough food. So far, there's only 3 of us.:ohmy::)

Hey Lorraine, look here for a ton of Chocolate bread pudding recipes. None of these is EXACTLY like the one I made, but kitchenelf's is pretty close I think. I know that I omitted raisins and instead added brandy to the "wet" stuff. I'm still looking for my exact recipe.

Here's the Corn Pudding. If you have fresh corn, grilling it adds a nice smokey flavour. You can add things such as cooked bacon etc, but I like it plain. It has a souffle like texture.

Makes about 6 servings
3 T butter
2 cups corn kernals (thawed and drained if using frozen)
Pinch each nutmeg and white pepper
4 eggs
1/4 c ap flour
1/2 t baking powder
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
Preheat oven to 325F. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the corn kernals over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Do not brown. Add the nutmeg and pepper and set aside.
Beat the eggs until light and foamy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and then sift into the eggs. Beat until smooth. Add the reserved corn and the cream, blend well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole and bake in a water bath for about 1 hour 15 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom