Christmas Dinner and What Kind of Soup to Serve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
Traditionally, for Christmas dinner my family has ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole (my brother's favorite), fruit salad, etc. This year we are adding a spinach salad to lighten the menu. I suggested that we also have a soup. I thought split pea would be a nice addition to the menu because it is light with minimal ingredients and will not be to filling. I am hoping to get some input about what type of soup to serve. The only thing my family cannot eat are onions and mushrooms.

I think split pea soup sounds like the perfect addition. If you have any left over, you could add some left over chopped ham to it the next day. Otherwise, a broccoli-cheese soup would be good with the other foods.

:)Barbara

I thought of broccoli cheese soup, but my mom seemed to think that it would be too heavy for that meal. I thought that we could just moderate the portions served. That would leave more leftovers for me because I love broccoli cheese soup. :)

In our house, split pea soup is a heavy soup that is the complete meal, along with bread and salad.

I would probably go for a cream soup (your favorite), or a butternut squash or pumpkin soup to start the meal.

edit... just read your second post... broccoli cheese would be heavy... broccoli without the cheese, wouldn't. I love Cream of Broccoli Soup!

Italian wedding soup is always good

Ooooooooooh, yeah! That's a great idea. Thin soup with light ingredients (as long as you don't have 14 mini meatballs in your bowl.:LOL:

I like the thin soups when serving with other foods, and heavy/thick soups when soup and bread are the meal. Split pea is a heavy soup the way we make it.

One of my favorites is Ham Barley soup:

img_735440_0_37155976a177c8b279124289649cb51f.jpg

Hearty Ham Barley Soup
From the Kitchen of: Joe Valencic

Ingredients:

1/2C Sweet onion diced
2 Cloves Garlic diced
3 Celery stalks
1/2Bag baby carrots – cut up into rings or whole
3-4 Medium potatoes peeled and diced
1-1/2C Pearled Barley
1 – 15oz Can of peas
1# Smoked pork butt, cooked ham or smoked ham hocks – diced
3 – 14.5oz Cans of chicken broth or stock
6C Water
Salt/Pepper to taste

In a large stock pot (8qt or larger) cook onions in a little oil until translucent. Add celery, garlic and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add ham and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and liquid. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hrs. Adjust seasoning and serve with fresh crusty bread & butter and fresh cracked pepper.

SC,
one of our favorites a simple broth soup my favo is chicken I add tiny fideo pasta or a pastina when soup is done i swirl in some eaten egg keep it going in a whirlpool til it sets add some salt and pepper and that is it. It's light and easy on the tummy..I also make this when the kids are feeling puny and it really helps..If you don't care for pasta left over cooked rice is nice, top with some scallions and finely chopped parsley and your done

kades

What about a tomato basil soup with or without a little rice. Not heavy at all.

JOEV that soup looks great to.
I do make very simliar one only use Keilbasa instead of ham and add some mushrooms.

I also use smoked Slovenian sausage or smoked ham hocks as well. Any smoked meat would work well. Maybe some of those wings from smoked turkeys that did not get eaten on Thanksgiving. I think you can even buy them in the store now. Oh, I've also used a cottage ham and find that real tasty.

Ooooooooooh, yeah! That's a great idea. Thin soup with light ingredients (as long as you don't have 14 mini meatballs in your bowl.:LOL:

I like the thin soups when serving with other foods, and heavy/thick soups when soup and bread are the meal. Split pea is a heavy soup the way we make it.

One of my favorites is Ham Barley soup:

img_736413_0_37155976a177c8b279124289649cb51f.jpg

Hearty Ham Barley Soup
From the Kitchen of: Joe Valencic​

Ingredients:

1/2C Sweet onion diced
2 Cloves Garlic diced
3 Celery stalks
1/2Bag baby carrots – cut up into rings or whole
3-4 Medium potatoes peeled and diced
1-1/2C Pearled Barley
1 – 15oz Can of peas
1# Smoked pork butt, cooked ham or smoked ham hocks – diced
3 – 14.5oz Cans of chicken broth or stock
6C Water
Salt/Pepper to taste

In a large stock pot (8qt or larger) cook onions in a little oil until translucent. Add celery, garlic and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add ham and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and liquid. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hrs. Adjust seasoning and serve with fresh crusty bread & butter and fresh cracked pepper.

Joe, that soup looks SO good, it's making me hungry! :pig:

This might sound a bit nuts but what about kapusta? Sauerkraut soup? (Charlie D...you got a recipe here?)

I think the sour taste with the ham would be delish. Just my two cents though.

The best I can remember, Dad would chop up side salt pork (diced) and fry it a bit, then he would fry the sauerkraut a bit and there would inevitably be some butter in there. Then he would add it to some homemade broth, either chicken or beef. (I preferred the chicken myself) Sometimes he would add white beans and sometimes not. Also...something to occasionally make it a bit creamy?
Cottage cheese perhaps?

I'm off to see if I can find a recipe for you.

Last edited:
IMHO split pea soup is almost as heavy as a broccoli soup with or without cheese. Anything cream-based will be heavy and personally, for Christmas, I don't have a problem with that anyway.

I have a recipe for a cabbage, apple, and sausage soup. It has onion but I guess you could leave those out. Is it the flavor or an allergy? If the onion is pureed and well sauteed it will still lend a vital flavor without actually showing. I'm PM'ing you the recipe "just in case".

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This thread is headed down the same road of "what color should I paint my living room?":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ah, opinions...:LOL::LOL:

I suggest a chicken broth with a small pasta topped with chopped fresh parsley.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! Sorry, I did not reply back sooner, but I was at our district Christmas Party last night. I will run all the suggestions by the family and see what they like. It is such a hard decision. My mom and I where talking about it on the phone tonight. The veggie soup or tomato basil also sounds like they would fit the bill. I personally like KE's cabbage, apple, sausage soup, but I don't think the men folk would like it (My brother can be picky when it comes to soups. He likes the basic soups, nothing to extreme).

sc, how about escarole and white bean soup?

it's light and healthy, and very easy to make.

Back
Top Bottom