Christmas Dinner Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christmas Eve--
Appies-- ?
Beef stroganoff
green vegetable
popovers
homemade pickles from this summer's garden
salad
assorted cookies and ice cream dessert

I made krumkake and spritz, DxW who likes to bake and said she was cutting back this year, in the end, forgot her goal, so there will be plenty of sweets.

Christmas Day is at my SIL's.
Huge turkey dinner for all the family, and it is a huge production when everyone gets together. Served buffet style. SIL is smart and long ago bought folding "church basement" size tables to set up and tear down after dinner. Clean up is a joint effort. Cousins return the tables to basement storage, There is usually a creative way to choose a number or the short toothpick method for disshes duty. The turkey roasters, platters, larger things are sent to the basement and washed in the laundry tubs. The only people who are potentially left out of the act are those who play piano or a musical instrument, so we get Christmas Carols after dinner. Then the whole thing is unravelled and desserts and coffee are served.

Bravo to the Whiskers and the Doodles Family!

My husband likes a ham so I picked one up. Side's of scalloped potato's and a salad. I'll probably make some sort of soup. I'm leaning toward a basic chicken noodle soup with the addition of some lemon. I love the addition of lemon, it really brightens the flavor of the soup.

I'm make a Death by Chocolate bundt cake for desert.

Rhubarb custard? How does that work? Doesn't the custard curdle? I'd love that recipe. (Have I asked this before? I feel like deja vu!)
I have to confess, I don't make the pies. My mom's group of church ladies makes them for fund raising for the catholic church in Mn. They make about 100 at a time then freeze them. They are ready to bake. All I know is there is egg in them & they use a tapioca powder in them to stabalize them.

Just the two of us. We won't have time to travel to DD's as I have to work the 24th and the 26th.we will see the grandbabies next weekend.
I believe we are going to have Chinese takeout for our Christmas Eve meal, then we will go visit some elderly friends in Canada. We will cook a Prime Rib on Christmas Day, probably scalloped potatoes or maybe garlic mashed. DH wants beets from the garden and I think maybe a spinach salad. I think maybe a mincemeat pie for dessert. Traditionally I bake a pecan pie, but DH cannot have any nuts or whole grains this week ;-)
Another reason to stay home for the day :/

Christmas is so different for us this year. Dad isn't with us and my sister has decided to not celebrate, and TB has to work 3-11 pm. We had the big (20 people and that was with some missing) Beier family Christmas yesterday with the full dinner.

I am just having TB's parents over for lunch before he goes to work and then they can stay and visit as long as they want. His brother and three nephews are hoping to come too.

I decided to make a lunch version of dinner and so am making Monte Cristo sandwiches (ham, turkey and swiss cheese in french bread dipped in egg and grilled), with gravy for dipping, cranberry sauce and salad. I am also making my curried cauliflower soup as "curried cauliflower" is a staple at all the Beier family meals ;). If the boys come I will do my "safe" buffalo wings so that they (and I) have something extra. I will put turkey in some salad for me as I can't have the sandwiches (I can have the soup).

For dessert I am breaking from my ban on baking and making them individual red velvet cakes with fruit and whipped cream. TB will have one of his special chocolate cakes with fruit and I will have yogurt!

Everyone's menu sounds lovely!

We've been invited to friends' for baked ham and stuff.

My daughter is feeling much better today. But she is going to skip all plans for the holiday Including the party. She won't be having a Christmas dinner. She will have it next week. Her husband will be by today with my presents and stockiing.

But Poo called and wanted to know what sides I like. anything thing green. Peas, spinach, green beans, asparagus, broccoli. I had to stop naming them because he would have had them all for me. So I picked out two. Peas and spinach. They are having turkey breast and ham. I am not fond of turkey breast. So I will have the ham. He will be picking me up early in the morning and bring me home at night. I have an appointment early on Wednesday morning with the eye doctor. Can't miss it. :angel:

The turkey is roasting, the Janssen's Temptation potatoes are ready. The krumkake is defeating me--for some reason, they are too brown--but crispy. I think the DH ruined my grandma's krumkake iron--I think he washed it. Frig, frig, frig. I think I will take a nap. Thank goodness after today, the cooking is done.

The turkey is roasting, the Janssen's Temptation potatoes are ready. The krumkake is defeating me--for some reason, they are too brown--but crispy. I think the DH ruined my grandma's krumkake iron--I think he washed it. Frig, frig, frig. I think I will take a nap. Thank goodness after today, the cooking is done.

Try seasoning it again. :angel:

It has wooden handles on it...and is probably 75-100 years old. It was perfect. Now my
krumkake is too dark...what did he do to it??????
I agree with Addie, try re-seasoning it. Maybe put a little lemon oil on the handles if they are dried out.

I agree with Addie, try re-seasoning it. Maybe put a little lemon oil on the handles if they are dried out.
I never seasoned it in the first place--I season my CI pans in the oven..how should I re-seaon this--on the stovetop? I'm so P.O.'ed. I've had it for 40 years--and it made perfect krumkake. Now the krumkake sticks and is too dark. Good thing he's not here--I am not in the Christmas spirit at the moment. He'll be here in 6 hours...best figure out how to fix my krumkake iron between now and then. I'd go get my mom's krumkake iron, but she is 24 hours away. Maybe I can use the batter for waffles?

Salmon is thawing, I'm going to cook our dinner for this evening so I can be a slug all day tomorrow.

Poo called me and wanted to know what to do with lobsters. Geesh, didn't that kid learn anything about living in New England? I think he has too much Texas in him. That is where he was born. I told him to make a salad with mayo and celery and stuff tomatoes or put it in toasted hot dog buns. His wife has never had lobster. She is from Albania. When I told her she has to plunge them in boiliing water while they are alive, she almost fainted. So I told her to buy them already cooked. Cost more, but will save her sanity. I didn't have the heart to tell her about sticking a knife right into them while they are alive and kickinig. So now it is turkey breast, ham and lobster. YUM! :angel:

Lightly wipe a very light coat of veggie oil over the metal plates and heat over a burner. Protect the wooden handles. :angel:

Lightly wipe a very light coat of veggie oil over the metal plates and heat over a burner. Protect the wooden handles. :angel:
I'm on it. Now what should I do with the shrimp I just got for 29 cents each? picked up a dozen (what I really needed was dishwashing soap, how I wandered past the fish / seafood aisle is beyond me. I wasn't planning on serving shrimp, but the price was sooooo good and they are fresh. I have all kinds of vinegars, crab boil mix, Vermouth, vodka, sherry, marsala (sweet), white wine. ,I have fennel, fresh dill, cilantro, Italian parsley, sage, lavender (okay, the last two probably wouldn't be great with shrimp). No cocktail sauce, but I have horseradish, tomato sauce, onions, garlic, and spices up the ying yang. Since turkey is on the menu and I have some stuff already for appys, just not sure what to do with the shrimp. Impulse buying is just not good.

Last edited:
My family loves them boiled til just pink and dipped in melted butter as an appetizer. :angel:
Butter, butter, butter (with some roasted garlic) and steamed with the crab-boil mix....yum!!!!! I assume everyone has to peel their own.

I have some butter from Ireland I've been saving...that's the butter to use, don't you think? Just like little baby lobsters. And, I'm going to save the shells for fish stock. This new grocery store in my little town sells fish heads!!!

How are you feeling?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom