Christmas Meal Plans ~ 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Tis two weeks before Christmas, oh what will you make?
A turkey, a beef roast, or maybe a cake?
You might be traditional, you could be all show,
Just share what your plans are, so we're in the know!
~~~poetry wasn't my strong suit in school~~~

When I talked with our daughter on Tuesday, I asked her what she wanted to do for Christmas dinner. She was non-committal this year. For the past two Christmases, her "boyfriend" has gifted us all with a nice ham. Since he won't be able to join us this year on Christmas, and we're all tired of doing ham that day, we told him we'll work it out on our own. I suggested our old traditional dinner of past Christmases of eye of round roast, potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, sauteed mushrooms with lemon and toasted breadcrumbs, and salads. Her reply? "Whatever, Mom, just so long as we're all together." :wub:

We settled on salad (for the greenness of it all) and lasagna with my homemade spaghetti sauce (for the red). I'll make something for dessert - probably apple pie since we like that equally as well as pumpkin, but it will go better with the lasagna. I'll end up making a pumpkin pie, too, before we get out of Dodge.

Have you figured out any or all of your Christmas menu yet? It's only two weeks away from today.

Most likely it will be prime rib. One side for sure will be mushroom bread pudding. The other sides and appetizers will fall in to place. I usually lean in the direction of seafood for appies. B. sprouts are in first place for a vege, but with the KA Siralizer, who knows.:)

Prime rib or a ribeye roast with gravy and béarnaise sauce, lyonnaise potatoes (baked for SIL) a couple of veggies to ensure everyone gets something they like.

Desserts will be all the cookies SO baed/is baking, a pie or two from me and a pumpkin roll.

Rib roast (ordering from the butcher today to pick up fresh on Christmas Eve), and gratin potatoes. My SiL is supplying the veggies and I don't know what she has planned. :)

Funny you ask CG. DH and I were talking about this last night.
It seems that we will be staying put for Christmas after all, so what to cook/bake?
Here's what we've decided:

Christmas Eve will be our take on the Italian tradition of the Seven Fishes-

1) Something with Anchovies (I was thinking of Trader Joe's mini cheese pizzas topped with the anchovies)
2) Imitaion Krab Cocktails
3) Something with the frozen Cod Fillets we've got int the deep freeze
4) Lomi Lomi Salmon
5) Something with that Smoked Trout from Trader Joe's (maybe on a crostini)
6) Ahi Poke
7) Tako Poke (maybe, that's if I can find the Octopus)
... kind of a 'pick' night...
Not many folks `round here eat fish/seafood, they don't like it...another than a Fish-Fry that is... what do I accept, this is the middle of the desert after all!:yum:

Christmas morning I'll make the ATK recipe for Cinnamon Rolls, DELISH!

ATK Cinnamon Rolls.jpg
[file photo]

For Christmas dinner, we both agreed on Boar's Head Sweet Sliced Ham with their Brown Sugar Glaze, Macaroni and Cheese, Green Beans and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

I'll also make his new favorite dessert Apple Crostata with ice cream

Isn't it funny how we associate Holidays with food... and he STILL claims to NOT be a foodie... :rolleyes:

Like Thanksgiving, my daughter will be ordering dinner from Boston Market. She ordered a dinner for four, but I was sick so her and her husband had a holiday dinner two days in a row.

For Christmas, I don't care if I am still sick or not. I am going there for the day. She has a great couch I can rest on if need be. And besides, I have to deliver my yearly Christmas Wreath Cake. :angel:

Our usual. Prime Rib with Yorshire pudding.
Veggies on the side. Were not dessert people. If I do anything it will probably be a bundt spice cake.

Keeping it simple.

It's 70 degrees here today so it's kind of difficult to think about Christmas dinner ;) But, we made prime rib for the first time last year and it was *amazing* so maybe that again. Some kind of potatoes and probably roasted asparagus. The flourless chocolate cake we made last year was pretty darn good, too, and I recently received a free jar of Penzey's cocoa powder :yum:

My wife and I don't have a Christmas celebration per se. That said, I always have the time off from work and we have family members who do, and so we usually end up going to one of their houses for dinner if we are around.

This year we're going to my wife's parents' house. I'm concerned that it may be a little overwhelming for my MIL. She just turned 80 and has had difficulty in recent years coordinating the big meal. In addition, FIL just got out of the hospital on Wednesday, where he had issues with shortness of breath (he's 84). I know that's been stressful for her.

I've put in a call to her to offer assistance. She's been resistant thus far, but I hope she takes me up on it. It's a lot for anyone to take on.

It's 70 degrees here today so it's kind of difficult to think about Christmas dinner ;) But, we made prime rib for the first time last year and it was *amazing* so maybe that again. Some kind of potatoes and probably roasted asparagus. The flourless chocolate cake we made last year was pretty darn good, too, and I recently received a free jar of Penzey's cocoa powder :yum:

OOOH! I want some. I just put together all the dry ingredients for the Hershey Chocolate Cake. Right now as long as I have Pirate with me, Penzy is not in my budget. Hershey's Dark Cocoa will have to do.

Prime Rib? I coming to the house that is closest to me for dinner. My daughter is ordering ham. Not my favorite meat. But I will smile and eat a bite or two. :angel:

CG, I love your little poem. :LOL:

Wonderful sounding holiday meal plans, everyone. All this talk of prime rib for Christmas dinner is killin' me - for years I've wanted to change things up a little and have a nice rib roast, or a beautiful beef tenderloin. But the rest of my small family doesn't like anything rarer than medium well at the most, and I refuse to overcook such a beautiful and expensive cut of beef. :( (JMO)

Kay...gorgeous duck, and four of them! :yum:

We'll be having the usual ham dinner, and I do love it. We usually get a nice big shoulder roast, score it and stud with cloves, and lightly glaze with a little maple syrup, orange juice, and honey. Sides will be scalloped potatoes, roasted cinnamon sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, either marinated or roasted asparagus, deviled eggs, biscuits, and pie. I'm not much of a baker so it'll be the usual Claim Jumper frozen pie.

Last edited:
Christmas Eve we are hosting between 6-14 people, two in high chairs which is good because the dining room table seats up to 12. Nobody gets to grow bigger Next year! Ha. In recent years we have been going out to Jr's on another day for brunch and family Santa and gifts.

I am pretty sure we will have beef stroganoff for dinner and I will make a vegetarian mushroom stroganoff too. I am expected to make popovers, Don't know for sure what else. Possibly small slices of pie and Christmas cookies and gelato or ice cream for dessert.

Christmas Day we will all be at a BIL's and there will be 2 turkeys and most likely a ham. Everybody brings their best Christmas singing voices for a family sing-along around the fire pit and a dish or dishes to share.

Ham here also!

Baked ham
Kielbasa
Cauliflower gratin
Green beans
Cabbage salad
Pickles, olives, etc...

Not sure about dessert yet. It might be a low carb creamy pumpkin pie with whipped cream or a low carb cranberry crumble with low carb ice cream. :pig:

2015 Christmas Eve Menu

Baked Cod
Stuffed Clams
Caesar Salad
Garlic Bread

Peach cobbler
Vanilla Ice Cream

2015 Christmas Day Menu

Stuffed Mushrooms
Caesar salad
Garlic bread

Eye round roast
Burgundy gravy
Mashed potatoes w/sour cream and chives
Baby spinach
Carrots

Mini Dutch Apple Pie and Mini Lattice top Apple Pie (4 of each)
Whipped cream

Christmas eve - no clue. It will probably be something quick and easy since there will be church and most likely wrapping still going on!

Christmas day - brunch at DS and DIL's. I'll take something but haven't figured it out yet. She's making sausage balls and an egg/sausage/cheese casserole. Her mom is bringing finger foods (crab rangoons, pinwheels and mini quiches). Have to scour my recipes for something to go with all of that.
In the evening we'll go to my brother's. He'll have our traditional homemade pizza. Everyone else will bring goodies and snacks and we'll graze the night away. I've been asked to make "playdough" cookies (spritz) and will probably make a dip for chips and veggies and the popular pecan bars that went over so well at Thanksgiving.

11 ways with Christmas turkey

Christmas Turkey

On the first day of Christmas my true love said to me
I'm glad we bought a turkey and a real Christmas tree

On the second day of Christmas much laughter could be heard
As we enjoyed our turkey - a most delicious bird

On the third day of Christmas came the neighbours from next door
The turkey tasted just as good as it did the day before

On the fourth day of Christmas, relations came - poor Gran looks old -
We finished off the Christmas pud and had the turkey cold

On the fifth day of Christmas, outside the snowflakes flurried
But we were nice and warm inside and had our turkey curried

On the sixth day I must admit, the Christmas spirit died -
The children fought and quarreled - we had turkey rissoles, fried

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love he did wince
When we sat around the table to confront the turkey mince

Day eight our nerves were getting frayed - the dog had run for shelter
When I served up turkey pancakes with a glass of Alka Seltzer

By day nine our cat had left our home and Dad was getting blotto
And said he needed a stiff drink to eat turkey risotto!

The tenth day all the drinks were gone except for home made brew,
And if that wasn't bad enough, we suffered turkey stew!

The eleventh day of Christmas, the Christmas tree was moulting
The mince pies were as hard as rocks and the turkey was revolting

The twelfth day of Christmas my true love had shining eyes,
The guests had gone, the turkey too - and we had fish and fries!!

What are your menus for Christmas day?

:LOL:di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom