Culinary Road Trip, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
When I was hired at my new position, one of my selling points was some of my quirky marketing plans.

Since the beginning of the year, I've taken the cafe on a weekly culinary road trip (called Road Trip 2008) to different cities around the nation. I highlight the food indigenous to that city or region.

So far, I've done Santa Fe, Charleston, New Orleans ( a huge Mardi Gras affair), Raleigh, Baltimore and San Francisco (China Town for Chinese New Year). This week I'm doing 'floribbean' cuisine from Miami.

Anyone have any other suggestions for cities? Give me some culinary ideas, too, if you can. Thanks, I do appreciate the help. What I offer is usually 2 or three entrees, a soup, some sides and a bread.

Savannah Georgia, LOTS of great "southern" food and Southern Neuvo.

Roanoke VA, Just to go to Metro. You would NEVER believe there is such an awesome restaurant in such an out of the way town. I can not say enough AWESOME things about it. Was always a night out on the "towN' reason when I had to attend food shows in Winston Salem.There are also some great little hole in the wall places that serve very good comfort food.

Chincoteauge, AWESOME seafood, very quaint town. Everything from a full afternoon tea, to beer swilling, awesome food, local live music, and a sunset not to be missed.

Boston!

Clam chowder
Lobster
Baked beans
Corned beef dinner
Boston Cream Pie
Parker House rolls

Eastern Virginia - blue crab (steamed crabs for pickin' or Crab Norfolk or crab cakes), roasted or fried oysters, Smithfield country ham, peanut soup, Brunswick stew, sweet potatoes, black-eyed peas, spoonbread.

Southern Michigan - lots of German/Polish influences. Kielbasa with sauerkraut, sauerbraten, pierogies, stuffed cabbage, spätzle, potato pancakes, duck’s blood soup, rye or pumpernickel bread.

Last edited:
Boston!

Clam chowder
Lobster
Baked beans
Corned beef dinner
Boston Cream Pie
Parker House rolls

Definitely :)

We finally got a decent NE Seafood restaurant in our area a couple years ago that flies in lobster and clams 2-3 times a week (during season). I go about every 2 weeks just to get my fill of fried Ipswich Clams (whole belly):-p

It's a little Mom & Pop (hope Mark & Laurie don't read this!!) operation and the restaurant seats about 40. Complete with the Bawhstan accent...Mark cooks and Laurie does a good imitation of a Durgin Park waitress, hustling folks in and out.

Last edited:
What did you find in Santa Fe? I grew up there, I'm just curious about what you liked.
Seafood in Seattle- that's my suggestion.

We/I didn't actually travel there...we're all stuck on Wall Street:ohmy: I did pulled meats, different types of sauces, focusing on chili peppers.

Eastern Virginia - blue crab (steamed crabs for pickin' or Crab Norfolk or crab cakes), roasted or fried oysters, Smithfield country ham, peanut soup, Brunswick stew, sweet potatoes, black-eyed peas, spoonbread.

Is there a city name that New York Traders would recognize?

Southern Michigan - lots of German/Polish influences. Kielbasa with sauerkraut, sauerbraten, pierogies, stuffed cabbage, spätzle, potato pancakes, duck’s blood soup, rye or pumpernickel

bread.

Another excellent idea...I just need the name of a city that is recognizable.

Thanks to all the initial posters for the bbq suggestions. One thing's for sure, NYSE traders love love love barbecue.

I agree....but what do they eat there that is specific to the city???

:LOL: You're asking me,,,a country boy from small town Mississippi???

Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza
Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches
Hot Dogs

Twinkies...Invented there 75+ years ago...Fried?:ermm:
Brownies...Another Invention...1893 or so..

I see a very fun event in the making....and just wait for some of the Chicago natives to weigh in.....Sha-Zams!!!

Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza
Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches
Hot Dogs

Twinkies...Invented there 75+ years ago...Fried?:ermm:
Brownies...Another Invention...1893 or so..

Good points all...let's not forget the great Chicago steakhouses :-p

Thanks Uncle Bob, I'm going to have to find me a good Chicago style dog for lunch :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom