Drying out breadcrumbs, help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I got a bowl of homemade corn bread and another bowl of stuffing bread from market basket on the counter. I broke up all the bread late in the afternoon yesterday. It isn't covered.

It's feeling pretty soft to me. I don't think it's drying out. I feel it and toss it with my hands a little and it's not feeling dry, hard or crusty. It's just pretty feeling like soft bread. I wanted to start my stuffings today.

You could try spreading them out on a cookie sheet so that more of them are exposed to the air.

You could try spreading them out on a cookie sheet so that more of them are exposed to the air.

That is what I do only I cover it with a clean tea towel and give it a toss every few hours..

When using fresh bread instead of packaged stuffing you need to control the moisture by limiting the amount of liquid you add. I never add all of the liquid called for when I start mixing. I also restrict the liquid if I am stuffing the bird because the bird will provide additional moisture.

I also limited the liquid for the stuffing, but forgot to add more to the stuffing that was left to go in the casserole dish so that part was too dry.

I ate up all my stuffing and gravy, so I decided to just make another batch today. I love stuffing and gravy!:pig:

Spread the cornbread and bread out on cookie sheets and put them in a low oven to dry them out. Better and faster than leaving them out.

Even easier. If you have a dehydrator, use that to dry your bread products for your stuffing.

I do that and I can dry out a whole large loaf of bread in a couple of hours, plus it frees up my oven so I can bake my pies, etc.

I spread my slices of bread out on the oven racks (no heat) a day ahead if possible. In fact I have a loaf's worth there now - gotta have some more stuffing.

Back
Top Bottom