Eggy Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I have a few questions (SURPRISE). Since I am planning on making deviled eggs for my niece's wedding reception and there is suppose to be 300 or more at reception....how many eggs should I boil? I was thinking about 8 dozen, which would mean 192 pieces (less battle fatigued eggs).

1. We are planning on having quite a few other finger foods, so am not sure I will need this many. Do you think 8 dozen is too many?

2. I have a large pot that I could put all 8 dozen eggs in at the same time, but not sure that is a good idea since I haven't made this many deviled eggs before. Would it be better to cook all in same pot or split in half?

3. The way I normally boil eggs is put them in cold water, put on high heat, let them come to a fast boil, take them off heat and cover and then let them sit for 20 minutes. With this many eggs will this method still work?

4. Am planning on boiling, slicing and mixing the filling the day before the party and am thinking about stuffing them at reception hall because frig space will be precious at home. If I have the pastry bags filled, tubes on and take to the hall, how long do you think it would take one person to fill 8 dozen eggs? I may have help, but not sure yet. Since they have a very large refrigerator, no problem with storage for extra deviled eggs.

I know, I am just a pain in the .........egg.
crazy.gif

The task can sound rather daunting, can't it!

If there is going to be a lot of other finger food, then I'd say 8-10 dozen. (I'd also add maybe a dozen extra to allow for breakage) If there are going to be kids at the reception, they'll gobble up quite a few! Your cooking method is fine, although splitting into 2 pots will take less time to cook them. I'd recommend putting a little shot of vinegar in the water, to help keep the shells from splitting.

Doing the prep work at home, and filling them at the reception sounds fine, too, although you could certainly do the whole thing at home if you have room in the fridge for the finished products. If you're handy with a pastry bag, it should take maybe half an hour tops to fill them all. Are you going to garnish? IE, with a parsley leaf or chive stem? Perhaps your helper could go behind you and do that part.

How are you planning on plating? A suggestion would be to use big platters, and line with kale or pretty leaf lettuce leaves, to 'hold' the eggs onto the platter.

Good luck!

What a wonderful idea!!! I was wondering how I would keep so many squiggly eggs from flipping over and jiggling off the tray. I have half a dozen deviled egg trays that holds 24 halves, but they are just plastic with plastic covers and your idea is great and would be very pretty too. I will also think about how I am going to garnish. I will plan on something simple but hopefully pretty. Glad I posted and asked because getting all of the ideas and details done in advance will save me time in the long run. :) TY TY TY

Last edited:
Unfortunately by the time I have finished with 2 wedding receptions, 1 baby shower and 2 bridal showers, I probably won't want to cook ever again. I am on the last event for this year though....at least I hope so.

I would be surprised if half the people don't take one..(you said 192 pieces).
And even if they don't....you're only planning on the other half eating one a piece. I would have guessed 25 dozen which would be 300 pieces. The ones who don't take any would cover the ones who take more than one.

Well we are also having sausage balls, meatballs, antipasto squares, chicken salad sandwiches, mini pronto pups, chicken kabobs, pineapple & cream cheese sandwiches, turkey, cream cheese, sunflower seeds, honey french dressing sandwiches, pigs in a blanket, crab meat purses, jalapeno balls, cheese platter, veggie platter, and a dozen other things that I can't remember what they are called. :(

Another way you could do the presentation is to lay down a bed of kosher salt - less slippage than lettuce (altho that's an excellent idea too). Hey, it's white, and white is always welcome at weddings.

TY Mudbug :) By the way, I tried crayfish for the first time in an appetizer that I made. Maybe it was because they were frozen, maybe it was the recipe, maybe they were in the store freezer too long, not really sure but wasn't impressed by the dish. To me the appy would have tasted just as good if not better with shrimp in it.

Thats a lot of eggs. I don't know about everyone else but for every 5 I cook at least 1 or 2 get mucked up when I'm peeling off the shell. So I'd say you need to account for flubs too.

What about using different colored dried pasta to put down on a platter to nestle your eggs on so they don't roll all over the place. Or different colored beans.

Your approach sounds good icymist. Doing half a batch at time sounds like a good idea, and quicker. I like the idea of using kale as garnish, I think radiccio would look pretty too, and maybe just shake a dash of paprika on the eggs for color.

Back
Top Bottom