First Fondue Gathering - any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattlesteve

Assistant Cook
My wife and I went with a group of friends to a fondue place last year and enjoyed it. We decided to have that same group over for a fondue evening at home.

Any favorite recipes? Or advice? Tips? Anyone have a great findue experiience they like to share?

for New Year's Eve we often have fondues
you can have oil, chocolate, cheese, &/or broth fondues
Have a variety of items and a few different cooking methods

How many people are planning on having over?
It is nice to have lots of fondue pots (borrow from friends) so they do not get too crowed and lose heat

I have made bagna caoda before which is oil and anchovies and garlic fondue (Italian version). It sounds like a strange combo but it is great.

Bagna Cauda - Olive Oil Anchovy Dip

Last edited:
Make sure everyone understands fondue etiquette, that is, the teeth must remove the food from the fondue fork while not acctually touching the fork. I assume this was done for health safety issues. Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Make sure to cut whatever it is you are dipping into large pieces. Make them larger than you think you will need. Otherwise the pieces will slip off the fork a lot.

Note to self - Take Jennyema off the invite list for my cheese wiz and wizspread fondue party next week :LOL:

GB said:
Note to self - Take Jennyema off the invite list for my cheese wiz and wizspread fondue party next week :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: I have some "port wine" wizspread in my fridge -- maybe I'll microwave it tonight and dip some wonderbread in it!

If you do chocolate for dessert here are some of my favs for dippin...

banana, strawberry, grapes and pound cake!

Yes that is correct mudbug. That is why when my wife and I do fondue I cut the pieces very small. For some reason the food just will not stay on my fork :angel:

Goodweed of the North said:
Make sure everyone understands fondue etiquette, that is, the teeth must remove the food from the fondue fork while not acctually touching the fork. I assume this was done for health safety issues. Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Gross! I thought you just used the small 2 prong fork for dipping and put the coated food on your plate!

They sell fondue pots at Walmart for about $5 a piece. I will get everyone their own pot and a platter of assorted breads...etc. Everyone will have the same sauce.

Anyone wanting to lick the sauce off their food and re-dip it will loose their turn during the card game or board game!

What would be nice side dishes to serve with cheese fondue? (that would not be dipped; obviously not finger foods, cole slaw & baked beans?)

Fondue is a very intimate way of eating. I only do it with people I am close enough with that I don't mind their cooties.

The fondue pot box has a picture of a man, woman and two children!!!!!!!!!!
Another brand has a picture of the pot sitting on a bar counter during a super bowl party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fondue

If the fondue is your meal have lots of variety, lots of food, lots of wine and lots of time.;)
Normally you need to heat up everything on the stove and then just keep it warm using the fondue flame.
Have numerous different sauces if you are having an oil or broth fondue (e.g. teriyaki, peanut, horseradish/sour cream, sweet and sour).
You can serve fondue with pickles, olives, sliced meats (e.g. prosciutto, salami), vegetables that can be eaten with dip or in the fondue &/or a green salad.
Slightly cooking (blanching) the vegetables (especially for the cheese fondue) is nice.

Cheese
Veggies (e.g. Broccoli, Cooked potato, Cauliflower, Zucchini)
Bread (baguettes are great)

Oil
Meats (thinly cut pieces of chicken, pork, beef)
Batter for dipping veggies in (e.g. onion rings, deep fried battered zucchini, battered mushrooms)
Make fritters
Make doughnuts

Broth
Meats (lower fat than oil)

Chocolate
Fruits (e.g. Bananas, Strawberries, Pineapple, Orange slices)
Pound cake

I love fondue. My husband prefers broth to oil for meat and veggies, and it is easier to clean up. My biggest piece of advice is to buy a second set of fondue forks for meat fondue. Each person should be able to take one piece of meat out and put another in so the party goes seamlessly. One time I mentioned that (we were spending way too much time waiting, broth is slower than oil) a second set of forks showed up in my mailbox a couple of days later. This is slow food, with lots of time for conversation (and yes, kissing when the food gets lost!). A shortcut, too, with beef fondue is bottled sauces. There are so many great sauces in the stores these days. When I was a kid we made all the sauces from scratch; now I make a couple but also buy a few Asian sauces (peanut and Szechuan sauces are great dippers) and something hot in addition to one or two made from scratch (a remoulade-type sauce is great, as is a horseradish one).

Claire mentioned having 2 forks for each person - we have always had 4 each.:ohmy:
But we also normally have all 4 types of fondue going at the same time :pig: and that is all we eat - often for hours on end. Good thing that the forks are colour coded and come in different styles.

Back
Top Bottom