Fully cook stuffing day before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I'm trying to figure out if it's ok to fully do my stuffing today including the baking part. Than i would have to reheat or rebake I guess tomorrow before the dinner is ready?

That would be the easiest right? Other idea is to cook up everything except mixing the milk and/or eggs and/or breadcrumbs and do that tomorrow and bake it tomorrow.

anyone else do this in the past? Have you cooked the entire stuffing - including baking it in the oven after it's all put together the day before? Any downfalls?

I guess there shouldn't be a problem with doing it as long as you have refrigerator space to store it. There always seems to be some time after the turkey goes in the oven to do stuff like that.

If you are serving things such as a squash dish or mashed potatoes, you could get those ready today.

I'm actually making two stuffings. One of them is Sir_Loin_of_Beef's stuffing recipe. It gets baked in the oven for 50 minutes. I dont' think I want the turky sitting for that long. I was thinking more like 1/2 hour resting time for the turkey. I already made all the veggie/onion/spice/sausage mixtures for both stuffing. I haven't added any of the breadcrumbs/milk/eggs etc. and I haven't baked them yet. pondering.

Haven't looked at Sir Loin's recipe. I was just trying to remember a minute ago if we baked the dressing in advance last year. I think yes. Only one oven, and there were at least several pans of stuffing.

DxW dressing recipe has milk, I use broth, neither of us use eggs. We both use sausage, she adds hers raw and broken up. I cook my sausage and break it up as it cooks, never drain it and melt butter in the fry pan to add to the bread and other ingredients. You can just follow how this path lead to our divorce, and luckily, that wasn't it. (Actually, we get along quite famously and have done so for many years). I'm just trying to show there is more than one way to do things. Dressing is pretty forgiving. If you cook it today, cover it with foil as it reheats tomorrow, and if you want a crisp top, well uncover it.

I did enuf today. I'll just throw it all together tomorrow and bake it early. than I might just reheat in my electric skillet I have. The other one, I'll probably bake after I take the turkey out of the oven.

Ledgend, I just finished preparing the dressing for tomorrow. All my ingredients are cooked before adding to the bread cubes, and then the hot homemade stock. It never occurred to me to bake it the day before. What would be the reason? I refrigerate it overnight to blend the flavors, and then use my 6 qt. Nesco Roaster to heat the dressing on turkey day.
I've had that thing for years, and every holiday I'm so happy to have it! Unlike a crock pot it has a temp. gauge.

Back
Top Bottom